Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 5.0L Coyote
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2012, 06:51 PM
New User

BFett0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel Additives

Coming from the land of 6.0L powerstrokes to the land of the 5.0, I was wondering if there are any suggested fuel additives to use. Just as a preventive step.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFett0 View Post
Coming from the land of 6.0L powerstrokes to the land of the 5.0, I was wondering if there are any suggested fuel additives to use. Just as a preventive step.

To prevent what? Welcome BTW.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 06-24-2012, 12:26 PM
New User

BFett0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Injector and fuel system issues.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
There have been any reports of any on here so I wouldn't worry any.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 06-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Postmaster

xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've had two cars, both Fords with EFI, at the opposite extremes of maintenance in which I've used fuel additives. One car I've owned since new, and took good care of all its life, and another I bough used which looked like it was never taken care of.

I've periodically used fuel injector cleaners on the new car, and found no noticeable difference in performance or economy.

The used car had serious detonation problems which I tried to fix initially by using all sorts of fuel system cleaners, and they did nothing to help. The problems required a lot more work to solve, and some of it did involve using solvents to clean out parts. This was a bank-fired engine, and I expected to see some bad valve deposits when I got into it, but found none; that was not the problem.

So in my case, fuel system cleaners that I poured into the tank did little to solve any real problems.

Also, Ford's EFI systems have had a lot less issues with injector clogging or deposit build-up than other brands, such as GM. I wouldn't waste money on in-tank elixirs.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Posting Guru

smokersteve has a good reputation on FTE.smokersteve has a good reputation on FTE.smokersteve has a good reputation on FTE.
Seafoam is a great cleaner. I use it once every 5,000 miles. And i use it in everything I own to clean the fuel system periodically.

I also use lucas and St-a-Bil.
I use red stabil for my quads and jetskis.
And I use the marine Stabil in my Porsche's.

I use stabil to prevent the ethanol damage. And lucas to actually improve beyond the gas.

The marine stabil has stronger additives than the red. Primarily for water. This is a big issue with the new fuels that have water in the ethanol.
The fuel at the pump have 10% ethanol and will soon change to more.... which is bad for any automobile. Especially for 99% of automobiles before 2006 because they were never meant to be ran on ethanol...

For me seafoam has proven that it works for me to clean the fuel and oil systems.
Both red and blue(marine) St-a-bil has also proven that it works.
Lucas, I dont have proven fact for that it improves the fuel....
06 F-350 6.0L 105,000miles ARP Oil & Coolant Bypass Filters + EC-1 SCT IDP Delete Pipes Edge Insight STC & Fuel Reg Update Pluged Up-pipe No ScoopFront 2" Hitch 2.5" Front Lift Firestone Air Bags Front E-Locker Rear ARB Locker

2011 F-150 5.0L 18,000miles
0W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Posting Guru

ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm not putting anything in my 5.0 other than Ford stuff as required. I don't miss all the Diesel Kleen I had to buy for my 6.4 at all, and truthfully, don't miss anything about that truck except the height while driving.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior User

country0001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Todays gasoline is a lot better than the days of old. With all the additives that they already put in them. I think additives are more of a snake oil and a waste of money. My old company truck never had a fuel injector problem til over 100,000 miles. Never adding anything to it. I ran a mix of ethanol and regular. I did have a fuel pump issue at 60,000. After that I ran straight gas. No more problems. I still believe ethanol is evil and destructive to the fuel system.

My new work truck is a Flex fuel 5.0. I'm doing my best to run straight gas all the time.

90 BroncoII 4.0L M5OD/1354M
Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
New User

gregsf150xl is starting off with a positive reputation.
I put a small amount of Chevron Techron in my tank if I fill up.
Maybe even some Lucas as it adds on the miles. V8 5.0
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Senior User

bankshot is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
Seafoam is a great cleaner. I use it once every 5,000 miles. And i use it in everything I own to clean the fuel system periodically.

I also use lucas and St-a-Bil.
I use red stabil for my quads and jetskis.
And I use the marine Stabil in my Porsche's.

I use stabil to prevent the ethanol damage. And lucas to actually improve beyond the gas.

The marine stabil has stronger additives than the red. Primarily for water. This is a big issue with the new fuels that have water in the ethanol.
The fuel at the pump have 10% ethanol and will soon change to more.... which is bad for any automobile. Especially for 99% of automobiles before 2006 because they were never meant to be ran on ethanol...

For me seafoam has proven that it works for me to clean the fuel and oil systems.
Both red and blue(marine) St-a-bil has also proven that it works.
Lucas, I dont have proven fact for that it improves the fuel....
I have some awesome western oregon garder snake sauce that'll clean your injectors, fill your lifters, and.....put you into your refractory period
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 AM