Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Nutter
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB Installation

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 11-Sep-02 AT 10:32 PM (EST)]I tried to get some info in the audio systems topic but didn't
get much feed back there.So thought I'd try here.

I want to install my Cobra 29 ltd Classic in my 88 F150 manual but
can't put it in the ashtray spot(shifting clearence)as in my 88F150 auto.I'm thinking
of putting it overhead. But I'm wondering how much space there is
between inner steel and outershell(don't wana poke the screws through
the roof). Has anyone done this before or know any thing about it.

Could use the info as I'm a grounded Hwy Pilot due to injury since
I can't run the big truck and brag about how fast my big truck goes
and how much the waitresses want me. I can drive around in my little
truck and brag about how fast it goes and how much my wife hates me
being home.

Any input would help THX

Old 09-11-2002, 10:14 PM
kiksomepoo
Junior User
CB Installation

I have seen custom installs done by a apulstry(spelling?) place. I dont think it costed too much. They put it in there ran the wires behind the cloth.. down the side of the door, then to the battery and antenna. Looked pretty nice, I dunno if you could Ghetto rig it up there but you might want to see how much they would charge to make it look all pretty and professional.

Old 09-11-2002, 10:52 PM
Ford Truck Racer
Elder User
CB Installation

I have buckets and I thinking of mounting upright behind the gearshift. I seen several other ways though, on top of the dash and under the dash next to the gearshift for your clearance. But I do beleive you can mount in the roof if you use and inch screw or less. May try taking of a trim panel and feel for clearance.

Old 09-12-2002, 06:38 AM
Will Stewart
Freshman User
CB Installation

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Sep-02 AT 07:42 AM (EST)]I mounted CB on the headliner of both my 88 and 95 f250's. I held it up into a position I liked and marked where the mounting holes had to be. I then took a small drillbit (slightly larger than a finish nail) and drilled through the first layer of roof metal. I used a finish nail to get the clearance distance between the two sheets of metal and picked screws slightly shorter. It mounted easily but it wouldn't tilt down far enough to see the controls clearly so I took a scrap piece of 2x4(wood, not a truck) and traced the mounting bracket onto it. Angled the circular saw to 45 degrees and cut along the bracket outline so the ends tapered out(kinda pyramid like). I sanded the sharp edges down and took it to a local shop and had it aupolstered (I know its spelled wrong) in the same material as my headliner. I got screws that where 1.5" longer than the previous ones (Dimensional 2x4's are only 1.5" thick). I placed the bracket on the new spacer and drilled the holes through it. It mounted perfectly and the CB tilts enough to see the controls but not be in the way. the wires were run under the trim and down the inside of the A-pillar trim to the fuse box and the vent window to the anntenna. It looks great and I had more than one person ask where I had it done.

Old 09-12-2002, 09:13 AM
Nutter
Elder User
CB Installation

THX for the input folks I'm going to get started this morning. I'm going to use a Wilson Little Will mag mount sill have to figure out how to run the coax up the back of the cab so it doesn't flop around.
(a couple of cold beers and staring at it should help me find a way)

I'm gona take pic's to document the installation see if can scoop me a couple a shirt's and stickers.

Again THX fellow FORD friends

Old 09-14-2002, 04:46 PM
Nutter
Elder User
CB Installation

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Sep-02 AT 05:48 PM (EST)]Well I put CB in Friday morning.Installation came out great THX again for the input folks.Here is a pic of final outcome.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=8636&.jpg

Old 09-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
CB Installation

I had a problem when I put a cb in my '89 F150. I had a brake controller mounted next to the fuse panel so I put my 29 classic under the ash tray. It appears to hold the cb up fine.

Old 09-14-2002, 06:05 PM
Nutter
Elder User
CB Installation

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Sep-02 AT 07:06 PM (EST)]I wanted to put it under ashtray but not enough clearence for manual
shifting. But this came out real slick I think I like it's better overhead and buy running the coax around the header and power wire
around the other side of the header the coax is free from any power disturbance. On 40 I'm running a flat swr and on 1 swr is about .5
with a 3ft Wilson Little Will mag mount and 18ft of coax.I had the radio tuned and
peeked about 5 years ago.Got conformation yesterday I was hittig my buddy real strong from a distance of about 15 miles.He also runs a 29 classic but uses a K-40 mag mount same guy peeked his radio. I was never able to do that mounted under the ashtray same radio same coax and ant.I think the routing of the coax and placement of the radio might have something to do with it.

Old 09-14-2002, 07:57 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
CB Installation

Where did you put your antannae at?

Old 09-15-2002, 06:11 AM
Nutter
Elder User
CB Installation

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Sep-02 AT 07:17 AM (EST)]I put the antenna on the roof of the cab about 6 inches back from center.

Old 09-17-2002, 10:52 PM
91F250DSL
Freshman User
CB Installation

does anyone can explain to me how they routed the power and the antenna wires for mounting a CB above the mirror as seen in the picture ? I was thinking of putting mine in place of the ashtray, but think it would be better above the mirror.

Old 09-18-2002, 06:18 AM
Nutter
Elder User
CB Installation

I routed ant co-axe under the front header trim then under the side
header trim and down behind the seatbelt cover.Out through rubber gromit in floor up around rear window trim to mag mount on roof.
The power and ground line went across header in opisite direction as not cause any disruption in signal then down behind side post cover
coming out under the dash can then be can run to fuse panel.I ran mine to cigaret lighter and spliced in.

Hope this helps LOL

Old 09-27-2002, 01:21 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CB Installation

I hope you guys understand that that CB will become a missile if you get into an accident.Make sure it will stay there, if the truck rolls or spins.Sorry to be so negative.

Old 09-27-2002, 02:48 PM
WB9PRG
Senior User
CB Installation

This is true...
I mounted my CB radio with bolts, to the left of, and lower than the ash tray.
Also, I installed my Ham radio (144 to 148 megahertz, 55 watts) in the area where the ash tray had been. Again using bolts.
There is a cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel. I haven't figured out what that was for ?? Maybe a pack of cigarettes??
Good luck

Old 09-30-2002, 12:06 PM
tsheriff
Elder User
CB Installation

I had my cb mounted to the roof on my 94. On my truck directly behind the rear view miror the was a small half circle notch in the trim panel running along the top of the window. I wraped the coax and power wires with black tape and put it through this small notch. it was tight but beter than having a dent in the panel. If yours is the same it should work great. I think the notch was originally for an electric mirror.