Sponsored by:

Rear Shackle and Hanger Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 AM
timmygyu
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Shackle and Hanger Issues

I've run into a problem in the process of replacing a rusted-out, rear-leaf-spring hanger. The problem is that after the leaf-spring was released from the hanger, the tip of the spring raised up about 5 inches, and is now close to the cab bottom. When it comes time to install the spring onto the new hanger I'm wondering how to safely pull the spring back down so that it can be reattached. Can't do it by hand.

Also, the shackle's lower bushing was stuck in the hanger, so I'm having to replace the shackle too. Naturally, the upper shackle bushing is also stuck in the spring tip. The upper end of the leaf spring, containing the broken-off shakle bushing, is too close to the gas tank filler tube to be going at it with a torch, so the spring may need to be lowered just to work on the frozen bushing.

I found several threads by people who have replaced the hanger, but none mentioned having to recompress the spring to get the hanger and shackle remounted to the frame.

A few more details: The side of the truck that will hold the new hanger and shackle is now jacked up by the frame, not the axle. Both the rear tires are also off, but the side of the truck opposite the new hanger is jacked up by the axle rather than the frame. Maybe if that opposite side was jacked up by the frame instead, then the the entire axle would drop a little bit, but I don't think it would be enough to bring the spring back down to allow a hanger reinstall..

So, if anyone has an idea how to lower the side of the leaf spring or has done this repair themself, I would appreciate some advice.

We've inserted an image for those who might have trouble understanding our description.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I can only think of one thing that immediately comes to mind... A small jack and a block of wood, place the jack on the spring and the wood between the jack and the flooring, then start jacking till you feel it is low enough to work on.

Of course this would be dangerous and i am basing it off my own idea of a frame lift for my 78

And yeah i'm positive there is an easier safer way to do it but i can't think of any right now.

Best of luck.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
first you need to have both sides of your bronco on the frame with jacks. and get the very large harbor freight jack stands. you dont want to skimp here and risk injury. you will want to use a floor jack and perhaps a ratchet strap to pull things around when that time comes. as for getting the hanger off i would use a bunch of liquid wrench and get yourself a small propane torch. when i swapped out my rear leaf packs i spent 1 week removing that very bolt your talking about. it was a real beech. just be carful. and be sure to block the front wheels, lock the hubs and put the tcase in 4wd for added measure.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM
timmygyu
Junior User
Ergh, sorry for the lag; okay, some updates: got the rest of the bracket and the rivets out with a combination of grinding -- never used a grinder before, mmm, sparks... -- drilling, chiseling, vice-gripping, hammering, re-hammering, -ing, re--ing, and hammering. Anyway, the bracket is now all gone, and the rivets out. Right now I'm trying not to think about the fact that this was the easy part.

GruesomeJeans:

Thought of doing something like that, but I don't want to push up through the bottom of the truck, and I'm not sure how much force it will take to redepress the spring. It sure made a hell of a 'ka-thunk' when it came loose of the bracket. The idea of pulling it down with a strap or a chain is what we are working on now.

Kemicalburns:

Okay, I'm going switch the jack from the axle to the frame; I've got some decent jackstands, so I'm good to go on that. Got the wheels blocked, will be picking up a torch tomorrow. I hope I'm not being stupid, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're saying in some regards. For example:

you will want to use a floor jack and perhaps a ratchet strap to pull things around when that time comes.
???

Anyway, thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long to answer.

Cheers,
Tim

Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by timmygyu
Ergh, sorry for the lag; okay, some updates: got the rest of the bracket and the rivets out with a combination of grinding -- never used a grinder before, mmm, sparks... -- drilling, chiseling, vice-gripping, hammering, re-hammering, -ing, re--ing, and hammering. Anyway, the bracket is now all gone, and the rivets out. Right now I'm trying not to think about the fact that this was the easy part.

GruesomeJeans:

Thought of doing something like that, but I don't want to push up through the bottom of the truck, and I'm not sure how much force it will take to redepress the spring. It sure made a hell of a 'ka-thunk' when it came loose of the bracket. The idea of pulling it down with a strap or a chain is what we are working on now.

Kemicalburns:

Okay, I'm going switch the jack from the axle to the frame; I've got some decent jackstands, so I'm good to go on that. Got the wheels blocked, will be picking up a torch tomorrow. I hope I'm not being stupid, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're saying in some regards. For example:

???

Anyway, thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long to answer.

Cheers,
Tim
Yeah KB has the right idea. By using the rachet straps he means to pull down on the spring, ratchet straps are often used to tie stuff down in the back of a truck due to them being easily tightened. It would work well if you have something to mount it too that won't move.