1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:34 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Transmission mount

Here is a picture of my transmission mount. (work in progress).

http://dhs.dsd.ca/~nsampson/images/transc.JPG

I wonder if I could get some tips and help.

Old 05-07-2003, 03:27 PM
alaskanf1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission mount

What do you need to know?

I took mine off and found the rubber underneath to be very rotten, so I replaced it. Since it is so accesible now, I'd suggest doing the same. From the picture, it appears to be the same as the one off my F-1, so shouldn't be a problem finding parts. Anybody know for sure if it is the same?

Old 05-07-2003, 05:38 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Transmission mount

Nathan, that looks like the same mount as the F1's.

Sacramento Vintage Ford list one as pn 5343 for $30

Old 05-07-2003, 06:06 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Transmission mount

OK, so I'm going to guess from my knowledge of my trucks and your project, what we're looking at there is a hunk of the tranny crossmember out of your F-1 parts truck that has been torched out and fitted into the vacancy left in the F-3 crossmember by the huge original transmission. Well, it does look like a nice fit and normally I'd say weld the sucker in there, but you need to provide more information before I bless it. Once it's welded, it's almost forever. Almost meaning that it takes 15 minutes to weld it in and several hours of burn 'n grind to make it go away if it doesn't fit right.

1. Why are you wanting to do this? Is the plan to use the transmission out of your parts truck? If so, which one is it? If it's the little three speed, then abort now. It wasn't strong enough to take any abuse at all in a 1/2 ton, let alone an F-3/M-3/whatever. You'd be much better off keeping the original trans. for the Mercury. The final drive ratio is the same on any of them so there is no point in swapping to a lightweight transmission. We need to know what transmission AND engine you're using for certain to give you any more specific advice.

2. The fit looks really nice, but are you sure that the pinion angle will be satisfactory? I "think" that the engine mounts in the larger trucks were on a lower plane than an F-1. They sure look that way in my F-2. You are obviously going to raise the tail of the transmission quite a bit with this arrangement. If there is a height difference and in the flathead V-8 mounts from one chassis to the other and you plan on running a flathead again, you will also have to swap the F-1 frame mounts in to keep the engine/trans. at the proper angle. Even after this effort, raising the whole powertrain a couple inches may still put your driveshaft at too steep an angle for the u-joints. You need to verify this. Do NOT skip this part. Proper pinion angle is critical. Read John Niolon's tech article and take it as gospel. My personal opinion is that you should tack weld the insert into the crossmember and mock up the engine, trans., rear axle, and driveshaft and check for the correct pinion angle. A little more time spent here now will insure that you aren't lying underneath a completed truck later with a torch and a welder trying to thrash a band aid in place for a serious vibration or extremely short u-joint life.

These are just a few initial thoughts and observations. As I said, we ned more specific details.

Lastly, it's good to see that you're doing something constructive with your favorite yard ornament again. You'll find that you will get a much better reception to questions and comments about your truck than some of the other dubious discussions you have begun of late. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Big Hands
Senior User
Transmission mount

Looks like the wooden mount shown in the picture has some stress damage across the transverse line........oh...that's the workbench..... Thought you had found a new cheap mounting system. I was going to adapt it for my own use..lol

I know....nobody likes a smart ***

Seriously, Rage is right....temp fit can be changed. good welding is almost forever...mine is momentary

Keep us posted

Steve

Old 05-07-2003, 08:38 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Transmission mount

I don't think the mounts are different. They look the same. The transmission is a Warner Heavy Duty center shift 3spd (same as Earls). It will handle a daily cruise. The shape of the previous truck looks like it was driven very harse. But the transmission shows little wear. He broke the frame and rear spring mount. It had the optional 4.27:1 ratio and overload springs. The mount still needs to be trimmed on the bottom because it is too high but this can only be done when I have the engine in the frame to make sure it is level. I know I need a new mount.

Big Hands that wood (work bench) is probally as old as/older than you (about 45 years).

Old 05-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Big Hands
Senior User
Transmission mount

AWW Nathan..a little humor or humour, eh? It looks like you have really done some nice fab work already. Just remember smething my grandpa told me...not not shut your mouth and go away....lol......measure twice cut once......

I'll be interested to see how this ends up for you

Steve