6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Let's be honest, ByPass filters, are the REALLY worth all that extra money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Fandini
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let's be honest, ByPass filters, are the REALLY worth all that extra money?

Is your oil really that much cleaner? How many of you running by pass filters still have that occasional injector failure? The only reason I would consider running them would be to keep the oil in like new condition and the dirt and soot out to help with injector durability. No extended change intervals for me. Be honest now! don't try and sell me just cause you spent the money! Tell me you've run a by pass for 100,000 miles or more with no injector failures and yur oil looks new when you change it or something like that! no BS please!

Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
I wont try and sell you nothing

It may keep the oil cleaner help reduce the soot anyway

BUT its NOT Going to keep it in like New Condition since the 6.0L SHEARS ITS OIL so 5k-7.5k oil changes recomended

Lots Go 5K oil changes But I dont think 7500 oil change to bad either but NO MORE

Dont do like some think They can run that amsoil and go 15K-20K NO NO BAD then they blame Ford when its there fault

Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Fandini
More Turbo
Tor me, I would NEVER run extended changes! I just want to know if the benifits of by pass give you a much cleaner oil at the end of the 5000 mile interval. Would it be clean enough to improve injector life significantly, as in double, if so maybe it would be worth the added oil change cost and up front purchase cost.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:11 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
How much is the Bypass Filter your thinking About????

Old 06-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Fandini
More Turbo
Don't know, haven't really gotten serious. Just thinking about injectors and longevity.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Fandini
Don't know, haven't really gotten serious. Just thinking about injectors and longevity.

Have you done the Blue FPR spring MOD yet????

That one of the best things you can do right there for injector LONGEVITY

Old 06-10-2012, 07:59 PM
fmtrvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many years ago over at TDS I compiled member's oil analysis reports for both the 7.3L and 6.0L. As mentioned, the 6.0L shears down the viscosity modifiers so it brings the oil to the base stock viscosity. ow if you only using a straight viscosity oil like 30wt, then you probably could extend the oil change intervals.

From the 7.3L side, there were people who kept the primary oil charge over 50k miles, adding only with primary and bypass filter changes, which usually kept the additive packages up. Soot in the modern engines is not the issue of the past, so the bypass filters use is primarily for debris retention. Typically unless the oil got contaminated with high levels of coolant or iron, the labs were fine with the extended oil use.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 PM
loubell
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is one answer you were asking for:
150,xxx miles and original HPOP + injectors.

and yur oil looks new when you change it or something like that!
The oil being cleaner just by looking at it? I do not know of any oil from any engine that looks new when it is time to change it. The function of heavy duty engine oil (HDEO) use in a diesel application is to suspend the soot particles until the oil can be changed. If you want to learn more, check out this excellent oil forum Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

But I thought I saw a post about 6 months ago about a member who did used oil analysis (UOA) on his rig with the bypass and saw no change in the condition of the oil, so he took off the bypass.

All of that being said, I am leaving on my Franz bypass as the filters are about $1, so outside of the initial investment 7 years ago ($200), there is no negative side.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM
RPM371
Senior User
I look at it like this, extra filtration can only help. A bypass filter can do no harm. As sketchy as these engines are, anything to reduce the chances a major repair is a good thing.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:42 PM
gmcbride
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPM371
I look at it like this, extra filtration can only help. A bypass filter can do no harm. As sketchy as these engines are, anything to reduce the chances a major repair is a good thing.
What he said. Seems like an inexpensive bullet proof step.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:53 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
I'm running an Amsoil bypass setup because it was given to me by a friend. He used the same setup on his 7.3 and went 80k miles between oil changes (using Blackstone OA as a guide). He bought the setup for the 6.0, but never got around to installing it.

Anyhow, I change at 7,500 miles and just consider the bypass filter to be extra. As was said above, I figure it can't hurt and can only help.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bypass filtration systems were beneficial "back in the day."

Soot particles were larger. Oil quality was much lower. Engines didn't physically destroy the base oil. Additive packages were a larger proportion of oil volume. Tolerances in the engine were much larger.

The way the bypass filtration systems worked was that you changed the oil FILTER at the recommended oil change interval, and replaced the volume of oil that the filter carried. The normal filter kept the boulders and trees under control, while the bypass filter pulled out the soot. The additive package was renewed by the make-up oil (both between-change and at-change).

Nowadays, bypass filtration doesn't get you much more than a lighter wallet. Today's oils and additive packages are much more robust, and tolerances are much tighter than they used to be. The engines just aren't as forgiving as they used to be in regards to oils.

Why risk a $20K engine on a $50 filter?

-blaine

Old 06-10-2012, 10:47 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker

Why risk a $20K engine on a $50 filter?

-blaine
Everything that you said makes perfect sense, but where is the risk? I guess if you are trying to go with extended oil drain intervals?

Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
We had a bunch of them on our fleet at work. Ended up replacing most the cams, and a few turbos on the engines that had this so called "wonder filter" on them. I know a cat c-10 is a little different than a 6l, but for what it cost to do one cam we couldve changed the oil in 1 engine 10 times. I would never run a bypass oil filter of any kind on any engine i owned. Keep up on the maintanance of your 6l and itll be happy for a long time.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:41 PM
RPM371
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasA&M
Everything that you said makes perfect sense, but where is the risk? I guess if you are trying to go with extended oil drain intervals?
Exactly! Nobody is saying add a bypass filter, skip oil changes. If they are then don't listen to them. If you want to save $250 to spend $2500+ on an oil related failure then that's your choice.

My position is adding extra filtration and keep a normal maintenance schedule. An umbrella won't stop it from raining. But it will keep you dry when it does.

Quick Reply: Let's be honest, ByPass filters, are the REALLY worth all that extra money?