DiMora's 400 build - part deux

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:04 AM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by danlee
Multiple coils are not as failure prone, because if one goes bad, it only affects one cylinder. In a single coils system, a bad coil is fatal.

. Multiple coils seem to go bad in 10 years... single coils last 20-40 years... but, at this point, I have no idea why... anybody know?

Old 10-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I'd looked at that dizzy and realized it takes the MSD box, so was confused.

I'll stick to DS-II as the theme of my build is "as Ford would have done it", so the red MSD box and dizzy cap would be out of character. And, I'm convinced that a good, strong single spark will ignite the mix if it is within reason of 14.7. And with the AEM I can get it there. So, there's no need for multiple-spark discharges - especially if they begat the problems you've had!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:30 AM
dimora
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Thanks for the clarification. I'd looked at that dizzy and realized it takes the MSD box, so was confused.

I'll stick to DS-II as the theme of my build is "as Ford would have done it", so the red MSD box and dizzy cap would be out of character. And, I'm convinced that a good, strong single spark will ignite the mix if it is within reason of 14.7. And with the AEM I can get it there. So, there's no need for multiple-spark discharges - especially if they begat the problems you've had!
At this point, Gary, I cannot argue with what you have stated. It is enlightening to know that the OEM DuraSpark II produces easier starts and better running than the MSD 8350 when run without the MSD 6AN ignition.

As I sit here this rainy Sunday in Georgia, drinking waaay too much coffee and enjoying the internets...I am thinking about some additional troubleshooting before I pull the distributor.

I am contemplating the possibility of a bad cap / rotor on my MSD, and an intermittent coil. Since all those parts are relatively inexpensive, and spares for each of those are never a bad idea...I think I'm going to go hit AutoZone and pick them up. If it turns out it is NOT the coil and cap / rotor...I have spares...if it is...problem solved!

I'll make sure I keep you all advised as I troubleshoot. I've been on the MSD forums all morning as well...and some users have reported intermittent coil issues.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:59 AM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
With what MSD charges for their stuff, don't understand why I hear so many problems... I remember DUI, Davis Unified Ignition, had a lot of problems, failed as a company, then changed names or got new owners or something...

Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 AM
danlee
Postmaster
What is your starting problem. Is it Hot Start?

I used to have that problem, until I went to a permanent magnet Hi-torque mini-starter. They need less Voltage & Current than those old Ford starters.

The old technology was fine, but Ford and every other manufacturer have gone to today's technology for reliability.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend

I used to have that problem, until I went to a permanent magnet Hi-torque mini-starter. They need less Voltage & Current than those old Ford starters.

The old technology was fine, but Ford and every other manufacturer have gone to today's technology for reliability.
That's part of my plan as well - a PMGR for a 460 since I'm running the ZF5. Also, the DS-II units do a timing retard while cranking, which helps. Don't know if the MSD does, but don't think so since they aren't connected to the start wiring normally.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:55 PM
dimora
Senior User

Intermittent spark - hot or cold. Totally random failure now. All wiring validated, soldered and heat shrunk. Wired directly to battery. I tried a new MSD Blaster 2 coil today, so it can't be anything other than the distributor. I pulled the dizzy and it goes back to MSD tomorrow for RMA repair (out of warranty)...I'll let you know what they say and how they treat me.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:45 PM
dimora
Senior User
Well...MSD has had my distributor for a full week with no response or update other than telling me they received it. They said 7-14 days. Looks like we'll be on the longer end of that. I'll keep you all updated. I hope they throw me a bone seeing as it has less than 2,000 miles on it.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Had I been a fan of MSD, and I'm not, this would have soured me on them. A bad unit out of the box and they don't drop-ship a new one? In my old age I've become less and less tolerant of poor customer support, perhaps because time has become increasingly more precious. Now I'm even more convinced a stock ignition is the way to go.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:16 PM
dimora
Senior User
Had I been a fan of MSD, and I'm not, this would have soured me on them. A bad unit out of the box and they don't drop-ship a new one? In my old age I've become less and less tolerant of poor customer support, perhaps because time has become increasingly more precious. Now I'm even more convinced a stock ignition is the way to go.
The stock ignition (DuraSpark -II) was reliable for 35 years. I have nothing bad to say about it.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:11 PM
dimora
Senior User
Well, MSD finished up my distributor Monday the 27th and shipped it back to me. FedEx tried to deliver it today but I was not home, so I don't have it in my hands yet; They will try again tomorrow. They never called and their website is terrible - the RMA screen tells me nothing, so I still have no idea what was wrong with it or what they did to it. I'll have to get it in my possession and see if there is any documentation enclosed describing what was done. I asked them to convert it to 2-wire pickup (remove the ready-to-run stuff) if it uses the same housing and is easy to convert. We shall see...expect a report tomorrow.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Here's hoping their technical work is better than their customer relations.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:13 PM
dimora
Senior User
I got it back.

They charged me $111.55 and nowhere in the invoice does it say where they did any sort of diagnosis or trouble-shooting. I wanted to know if it was good or bad.

Oh well.

On the plus-side, they did convert it from model 8350 to model 8477 per my request. FYI...8350 is the "ready -to-run" model that I had and 8477 has a simple magnetic pick-up, which makes it easier to troubleshoot. The 8477 requires an external MSD ignition box.

The 8350 has a circuit board under it with built-in rev limiter in addition to the magnetic pick-up, and of course it also makes its own spark trigger (electronic ignition)...and since I now have the 6AL box, I viewed all that non-sense as just one more thing that can break. Additionally, having a simple magnetic pickup means that I can run DuraSpark-II if needed in the event I'm on a road-trip and need OEM parts form any auto-parts store...I could use the MSD distributor to trigger the DuraSpark, and I can also use a stock for distributor with the MSD 6AL box...so the bottom line is separate components are best for problem solving if there is an issue vs. the junk all-in-one the 8350 was.

For the fee, the entire lower shaft appears brand new and I have a new cap and rotor and I also got all my old parts back.

I know it was out of warranty, but with less than 2,000 miles on it they should have thrown me a bone in my opinion. I cannot say I am impressed with either their products or their customer service at this point. I'll let you know if it runs in a little while...

Update:

It runs great now.

Mechanical advance springs used are one heavy silver and one light silver.

I set initial timing to 10 degrees with the black bushing installed (18 degree stop) for a total of 28 degrees.

I am also running the vac advance (but 28 is still the max).

I set idle to about 800 in neutral, about 650 when in gear.

I'll post a follow-up once I get some miles on it.

Shane

Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
So for an extra ~$100 they fixed what was broken when they sold it to you. Awesome.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:12 PM
dimora
Senior User
So for an extra ~$100 they fixed what was broken when they sold it to you. Awesome.
Yes indeed.

I'm just glad it runs now.

Now I have to fix my tail-lights - no brake lights, turn signals, or hazards. Must be the steering column turn signal junction. Sigh.

Quick Reply: DiMora's 400 build - part deux