1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice - Gas vs Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Point is that lot of people make $40,000 decision not even trying to make their homework and just buy cheaper engine, not thinking that the $7,000 extra on purchase price quite often means $30,000 saved on operating cost in the years to come.
But.......as we've contested before,this under the assumption that everyone buys a cheap used diesel and drives it for 300,000 miles for 20 years like yourself. All my diesel, and gas for that matter, truck friends have brand new trucks every 4-5 years and sell off/trade at the 75-100k mark. So in reality it's probably a wash between these gas guys and the diesel counterparts in the end when mileage and price premiums are considered. The guys like yourself who buy cheap and use forever definitely make out along with the guys who drive 30K+ miles per year. Cant even argue that from a savings standpoint, diesel wins hands down. But.........is everyone like that? These discussions are too much an apples to oranges discussion that is too general and not specific. As in my case only putting 5k on my truck per year wouldn't net any gain for many many years and by then I'd be trading up or the truck will be a rot box. I'm sure you'll still be rolling along in your 7.3 just driving to the bank with your cash. But this is the apples to oranges between you I and others too.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 AM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
But.......as we've contested before,this under the assumption that everyone buys a cheap used diesel and drives it for 300,000 miles for 20 years like yourself. All my diesel, and gas for that matter, truck friends have brand new trucks every 4-5 years and sell off/trade at the 75-100k mark. So in reality it's probably a wash between these gas guys and the diesel counterparts in the end when mileage and price premiums are considered. The guys like yourself who buy cheap and use forever definitely make out along with the guys who drive 30K+ miles per year. Cant even argue that from a savings standpoint, diesel wins hands down. But.........is everyone like that? These discussions are too much an apples to oranges discussion that is too general and not specific. As in my case only putting 5k on my truck per year wouldn't net any gain for many many years and by then I'd be trading up or the truck will be a rot box. I'm sure you'll still be rolling along in your 7.3 just driving to the bank with your cash. But this is the apples to oranges between you I and others too.
This. Reps to you. Why is that so hard to understand??

Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
shaark92
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fact of the matter … trucks ain't economical. Kajtek made an excellent observation in the "market" mark-up on diesels here in the States … they are relatively rare & therefore cost more. It's not spooky magic that drives the price higher … availability.

They say the market rules, but only if that market isn't manipulated. If I ever find the GM engineer who tried to make a diesel out of what's otherwise been the best internal combustion engine ever (the Chevy 350) … well … threats on this board are not welcome LOL!

When you buy a truck, you're needing performance … capability. I do get a chuckle out of the compact pickup guys … are you really saving anything over a full-size 1/2 ton???

back to the market manipulations … Ford was promoting a smaller (V6?) diesel for their F150 not too long ago. What happened to that? EPA??? more energy out of diesel, more longevity w/ the inherent enhanced lubrication.

Good points, gents!

Al

working my way to #25 on this board to be able to avoid writing the inventory! :^P

Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 PM
deck60
Senior User
Originally Posted by shaark92
Fact of the matter … trucks ain't economical. Kajtek made an excellent observation in the "market" mark-up on diesels here in the States … they are relatively rare & therefore cost more. It's not spooky magic that drives the price higher … availability.

They say the market rules, but only if that market isn't manipulated. If I ever find the GM engineer who tried to make a diesel out of what's otherwise been the best internal combustion engine ever (the Chevy 350) … well … threats on this board are not welcome LOL!

When you buy a truck, you're needing performance … capability. I do get a chuckle out of the compact pickup guys … are you really saving anything over a full-size 1/2 ton???

back to the market manipulations … Ford was promoting a smaller (V6?) diesel for their F150 not too long ago. What happened to that? EPA??? more energy out of diesel, more longevity w/ the inherent enhanced lubrication.

Good points, gents!

Al

working my way to #25 on this board to be able to avoid writing the inventory! :^P

I agree with you on the gm engineer that thought they could slap different heads on and make it a diesel

my personal feeling is if gm had kept out of the diesel market in the 80,s we would be more like other countries and be driving more diesels

I personally love the sound a diesel makes and the torque throttle response and the taste in the air {I cant smell--industrial accident }

as far as the real question here if you use this rig like a truck and a trailer is hooked up to it 75% of the time and you are pulling over 7500 lbs get a diesel if not buy a gas the diesel is for those of that use our truck as trucks not pickups

both gas and diesel have their place loads below 7500k and weekend trips to play buy a gas

but if you are hauling everyday for business or pleasure and use the truck as a work horse you will really enjoy the diesel not everyone should own a diesel some just don't need one

Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use to own a F250 w/the V-10 & it ran like a champ but it would only pull the 5'er 60/65 mph w/out the RPM's soundin like a jet takin off. Plus it only got 10-12 mpg empty & 6-7 mpg pulling & u better be babyin it...

With that said i bought a Diesel & will NEVER look back, i get 16-18 mpg & around 11 mpg pulling (from what ive pulled it so far) but u can go freakin 90 mph if u want & it wont ever slow down on a hill.....Love mine !!!

But if your only doing very short trips (very short trips arent good on a diesel) a couple times a week & dont plan on much pullin & can stand goin only about 60 mph down the highway, than a Gas'er may be what u need.

Diesels also require alot of maintance that u must be willing to learn & do (worth it in my opinion), whereas my V10 was just a tune-up & oil change here/there.
If u do get a Gas'er dont pull over about 8k IMHO.
Its alot to think about....Good Luck

Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Posting when you have nothing to say about subject is considered trolling.
This is commercial site and they do have their agendas to follow. Nobody says they have to disclosure what the agendas are.
I disagree, I feal that I did my part to keep the thread open. I had already said my piece about u guys always wanting everyone to buy a diesel? Why does Ford still produce a gas engine at all in 3/4 ton anyway?. I don't know why you have not asked this question yet?

Another thing. I think you need a brand new truck. The new 6.7 will out-pull a 7.3 any day. It's kind of like buying a crappy central air system in your home. Why u still have out dated diesel?

I also already told the OP to look at all of his options including 7.3.

I don't know why SOME diesel owners always have to prove they think a diesel is the only option. It's a sign of weakness to me.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM
shaark92
New User
Fg85

great question.

If the 5.4 shouldn't be an option in the f250

I was expecting the performance of my 93 C1500 w the 350 throttle body injection.

Ain't there. Needed the 3/4 chassis for hauling a few show calves (bigger brakes) for the missus! (energy mgt??? What's that???)

Anyhow ... Gasses have their place, but toting a tandem axle RV ain't it.

Al

Sneakin up on 25 ... So I can stop repeating myself! :-p

Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Fg85

great question.

I was expecting the performance of my 93 C1500 w the 350 throttle body injection.

Ain't there. Needed the 3/4 chassis for hauling a few show calves (bigger brakes) for the missus! (energy mgt??? What's that???)

Al

I agree all up until u said ain't 1. I haul atleast a ton of fire wood multiple times a year and usually tow up to 12k pounds a couple times a year. I already needed my truck to tow a skid steer on a 6 ton trailor with around 3k pounds of rock and dirt/clay in the bed. Needed to rent that thing twice this year already. Here in KY there are hills. Some pretty big ones. The little 5.4 did great. Even took it put on the highway with no problems. Sure i could have used a v10 or diesel. But I didn't need it. 2 times this year tho. My point is Ford wouldn't put the 5.4 in these trucks if they count do the work. Granted my engine is a PI bored over.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Fg85

great question.

Al

ten chars...

Old 06-06-2012, 03:18 PM
shaark92
New User
I guess I'm still just amazed by the capability of my 7.3 after many years of struggling with my beloved 350s in the aforementioned c1500 and the K5 blazer it replaced.

... To consider doing anything else. Funny thing is the "extra" expense of my f350 PSD has been in the chassis ... Not the motor!

Sorry northerners ... You caught this fish by mezmorizing me w that awesome color. "... I won't be fooled again!". LOL

Al

25 is on the horizon. I can hardly wait!!! :-p

Old 06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
I disagree, I feal that I did my part to keep the thread open. I had already said my piece about u guys always wanting everyone to buy a diesel? Why does Ford still produce a gas engine at all in 3/4 ton anyway?. I don't know why you have not asked this question yet?

Another thing. I think you need a brand new truck. The new 6.7 will out-pull a 7.3 any day. It's kind of like buying a crappy central air system in your home. Why u still have out dated diesel?

I also already told the OP to look at all of his options including 7.3.

I don't know why SOME diesel owners always have to prove they think a diesel is the only option. It's a sign of weakness to me.

You are twisting things around. Diesel is not the only option >>> it is the only LOGIC option. All gassers owners can do is mouthing, while they run from solid calculation like from the fire. I sure would love to have new diesel with 400HP, but that would cost me about $60,000 more than my present trucks, while my F450 tows 30,000+lb sets just fine.
There is no way fuel savings on new truck would offset the $60k price difference, but you will see me at those trucks in few years when the used one will sell in $20k range.
And I already answer why Ford still puts gas- guzzlers in their trucks above.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
But.......as we've contested before,this under the assumption that everyone buys a cheap used diesel and drives it for 300,000 miles for 20 years like yourself. All my diesel, and gas for that matter, truck friends have brand new trucks every 4-5 years and sell off/trade at the 75-100k mark. So in reality it's probably a wash between these gas guys and the diesel counterparts in the end when mileage and price premiums are considered. .
Did you ever at least try to calculate it?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes I have and the recovery for my usage is about 8 years.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:18 PM
deck60
Senior User

most of the people that are hard core gassers really they are borderliners they need the truck 3-5times a year but some of us that really use them we love our diesels

Old 06-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Yes I have and the recovery for my usage is about 8 years.
Don't avoid the answer. On 80,000 miles of use diesel will save +- $10,000 of fuel cost. Where did you get the 10 grand on gasser to call it wash?

Quick Reply: Need some advice - Gas vs Diesel