Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Need some advice - Gas vs Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1166663-need-some-advice-gas-vs-diesel.html)

ffbsm85 06-04-2012 12:59 PM

Need some advice - Gas vs Diesel

Ok so I'm going to try and put enough info in here, but not too much that it's too much to read lol

1. We want a truck to pull a toy hauler. Plan on getting that within 4-5 years. Will probably get a popup in the mean time. Looking at a small to medium sized tow hauler. Probably just for a UTV - plan to get that around the same time. We have 1 child and are planning a second, then we're done.
2. Wife wants a truck, said its her dream car/vehicle, and wants a Ford. All thats fine and dandy for me. I have a '05 4Runner we're gonna trade in.
3. She doesn't work and only drives to the store/gym which is all about 10 miles from the house a few times a week.
4. We would like to camp as much as possible, but I'm thinking 1 long trip (500-800 miles) and hopefully 4-5 shorter trips (100-400 miles) a year.

We drove a diesel 04 (i think) F-250 crewcab short bed and loved it. So we'd like super or crewcab and short bed if that makes any difference.

Any advice for our decision?

FI460 06-04-2012 01:32 PM

If you're getting a 6.0l (2003-2007) do your homework and make sure you're buying one that has been well maintained. Clean filters are life savers on the 6.0l. If you want a toyhauler you'll almost need a diesel in my opinion. Toyhaulers get heavy very quickly when you load them.

ffbsm85 06-04-2012 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by FI460 (Post 11913840)
If you're getting a 6.0l (2003-2007) do your homework and make sure you're buying one that has been well maintained. Clean filters are life savers on the 6.0l. If you want a toyhauler you'll almost need a diesel in my opinion. Toyhaulers get heavy very quickly when you load them.

Yeah I did a lot of reading about the 6.0s. Thats actually what brought me back to the gas vs diesel decision.

2000silverbullet 06-04-2012 01:41 PM

You're not going to be driving it much and won't be towing that heavy. I'd get a gasser. Go find yourself a nice V10 and call it a day.

/my opinion

What's the over/under on this thread completely derailing into another gas/diesel debate? Any takers? lol...

ffbsm85 06-04-2012 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet (Post 11913867)
You're not going to be driving it much and won't be towing that heavy. I'd get a gasser. Go find yourself a nice V10 and call it a day.

/my opinion

What's the over/under on this thread completely derailing into another gas/diesel debate? Any takers? lol...

Thank you for your opinion. And yeah I hope to avoid that. I've already read a few debate threads. But a lot seem to steam around the needs/uses so I included those.

jdadamsjr 06-04-2012 01:53 PM

oh vei -- and we are off and running :) thread number 8,734 gas vs diesel :)

Plan on buying within 4 to 5 years ?!?
Sorry - the world will end in 2012 - just ask the Mayans !

but given your criteria, I wouldn't define it as towing.... get whatever you want, it will do it...
and in 4 to 5 years when it wears out you can start this thread again :)

maverick22 06-04-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ffbsm85 (Post 11913743)
3. She doesn't work and only drives to the store/gym which is all about 10 miles from the house a few times a week.

For this reason I don't think a newer diesel would be the best choice, they like to be run. I'm far from an expert but I've heard about problems when they're used for grocery getters. A v10 or even a 5.4 will honestly pull quite a bit.

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet (Post 11913867)

I'd say it depends on if you know who gets involved. ;) But the OP is talking about a 6.0 not a 7.3 so maybe not...

Tugly 06-04-2012 02:00 PM

Diesel can be a costly venture for just dinkin' around. My current diesel is the first one I've owned (but not the first one driven). Between my diesel, motorcycle, and ricer, I pound 40,000 miles of pavement each year - 3/4 of which is highway. You're indicating a vehicle that might see 10,000 miles per year. I live in the mountains and I plan to tow heavy, and rust is not an issue. I plan on keeping the rig until it dies, and I hope that's another 600,000 miles from now. Weighing upkeep costs, fuel economy, initial cost, mountains, rust factor, starting frequency and run duration (diesels hate start-n-stop operation), planned time of ownership, and trailer weight - my choice is perfect for me. The 7.3 is the grand poo-bah of durability, but the emissions are a bear in California. The 6.0 and 6.4 are getting dialed in with mods (from what I read), the 5.4 does fine if not towing too heavy, but the V10 will step up to the plate without having the overhead of diesel, emission issues, or the initial cost.

As for me - I'll be trading in my Toyota Corolla for a VW Jetta TDI because I'm hooked on diesel now.

2000silverbullet 06-04-2012 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ffbsm85 (Post 11913905)
Thank you for your opinion. And yeah I hope to avoid that. I've already read a few debate threads. But a lot seem to steam around the needs/uses so I included those.

I just reread my post and I kind of came off with some attitude, sorry 'bout that, not my intent.

I absolutely LOVED my 2000 (V10 in my sig). I was actually just reminiscing about it yesterday at the Ohio meet when Quad Racer showed up with his 3 valve V10. Don't get me wrong, my 6.2 brings it when asked, but it has some big shoes to fill. That truck did everything I asked and never complained. It was my daily driver for 10+ years and towed everything from dump trailers, my old 32' travel trailer, a 30' toybox, to my old mans stacker trailer on rare occassions (~11k EMPTY). Anyways, I'm stickin' with my suggestion, V10. :-drink

Quad Racer 06-04-2012 02:24 PM

I'll give my opinion........................... again on this topic. For me, given all your criteria I'd get a gasser. Be concious of the rear end gears and you'll thank yourself. You'll be better served getting something for your current needs and upgrading in the future once you get your toy hauler, then you could get a newer rig with better technology and a nicer interior IMO.

If you live in or travel over large hills or high elevation I'd consider the diesel then.

And yes Matt its only a matter of time before feelings get involved in this thread and someone gets pizzed. haha

FordGuy85 06-04-2012 02:27 PM

Look at all your options. You may be going with a 5.4 or a 6.8. All depends what is available used. You are looking at used trucks correct? Heck if you can find a mice diesel then go for it.

FI460 06-04-2012 02:50 PM

A big part of my suggestion comes from the fact that I have a diesel. But the V10 is a great tow vehicle too and you can get a much newer truck for the cost of a diesel. That being said, in my area nobody want's 6.0l's and 03/04's sell for around $5-10k less than a 7.3l. You might be able to find a comparable deal on a 6.0l.

I say drive a bunch of them and pick the one that you personally like the most.

MDSuperDuty 06-04-2012 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by FI460 (Post 11914107)
I say drive a bunch of them and pick the one that you personally like the most.

This really all that matters. Take the pointers here but make your own informed decision. I found my V10 for about 10 grand less than a similarly equipped diesel with double the miles. My truck had 25k miles at purchase and the price WITH NY taxes was less than the mileage. Thats the reason I went with my V10. I got a newer low mileage truck for a great price. I was looking at gas and diesels but the newer and low miles were most important for me and the diesel put me at well above $30k for what I was looking at. Plus i'm only using it about 5k miles per year an have read similar things about diesels not liking to sit, especially newer ones.

dkf 06-04-2012 04:17 PM

I'd be looking at 05'-10' 6.8l V10 or 11'up 6.2l trucks for what you want to use the truck for. For kids the crew cab is the best. I have a super cab which would do up until the kids get around 6 years old or so.

MDSuperDuty 06-04-2012 04:29 PM

Yes. Crew cab a must for kids.