1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

lights all messed up! help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 AM
crestfallinman
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lights all messed up! help!

so i have been having an ongoing problem with the truck's taillights and turn signals, i just replaced the turn signal switch and its acting even worse.

the right rear turn signal isnt working, the taillights are not working, the break lights are not working, the sidemarkers and parking lights are not working and now the parking lights and sidemarkers blink every few seconds when everything is off

i have replaced:
turn signal switch
headlight switch
both taillights
flasher
parking light sockets
all bulbs

i am completely at a loss for where to look next, any help is appreciated

Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Check the wiring at the back of the truck something might be shorting out. I have had the wires that run along the rear bumper get beat up from stones of the road.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,682 Likes on 1,359 Posts
The parking lights are a simple circuit, I would start troubleshooting that. 1st thing to do is pull the headlight switch again. Leave it connected. Take a testlight or voltmeter, and check for voltage on the tan/white wire. You should have power. If you don't check the fuse. If the fuse is good, check the tan/white and see if it's melted in two somewhere.

If you have voltage on the tan/white, then pull the switch either half-way or all the way out, and then check for voltage on the brown wire. You should have it there. If not, check the headlight switch wiring plug, it could be melted.

If you have voltage on the brown, wire, then go out and any where you find a brown wire, it should be the parking lights wire, and try to check for voltage. A good place to check would be after it goes through the large firewall plug.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:40 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Corner Gas
Check the wiring at the back of the truck something might be shorting out. I have had the wires that run along the rear bumper get beat up from stones of the road.

Yes...back there is where the trailer wiring harness connects into the lighting harness...that can get hacked up over time and cause all kinds of problems.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:46 PM
cliffordingles
Senior User
Have you or anyone else tapped into the wiring for the tail light's to install a trailer connector? Just thinking out load.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
While I agree with Dave that you should start with something simple like the parking lights, if they are blinking every few seconds with everything off then you have something crossed/shorted. And, I would bet you are either into the turn signals. Or, the hazard switch is on.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
There is a tan/white wire at the headlight switch that is famous for melting and crossing/shorting with nearby wires.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ctubutis
There is a tan/white wire at the headlight switch that is famous for melting and crossing/shorting with nearby wires.

Oh dang it....why didn't I think of that one?? The short time I've been on here, I've seen that twice!!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
crestfallinman
Elder User

alright i will have to do some searching today, there is no trailer hookup, i rewired everything to the back lights, so i will search around later on thanks for all the help

i went over a few things before it rained and found out my hazard lights dont work now either

Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 AM
crestfallinman
Elder User

I finally got a chance to pull it apart and I am not seeing any tan or white wires, there is a blue/red, black/pink, red/yellow, 2 brown, 2 green/yellow, yellow with blue dots, and black/orange

i also do have LED taillights on it at the moment, i replaced the old ones when i thought they were the problem, and i do have an electronic flasher, it worked before though so i would be suprised if that had much to do with it

Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by crestfallinman
I finally got a chance to pull it apart and I am not seeing any tan or white wires, there is a blue/red, black/pink, red/yellow, 2 brown, 2 green/yellow, yellow with blue dots, and black/orange

i also do have LED taillights on it at the moment, i replaced the old ones when i thought they were the problem, and i do have an electronic flasher, it worked before though so i would be suprised if that had much to do with it
Blue/red: can't find
Bk/Pk: Backup
R/Y: can't find
Br: Tail lights
G/Y: can't find
Y/B: can't find
Bk/Or: can't find

Here's what you should have:
Brown: Tail
Or/Light Blue: RH Stop
Light Green/Or: LH Stop
Bk/Pk: Backup

Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
crestfallinman
Elder User

alright so i did some investigating, the blinking is coming from the connection between the turn signal switch and the (looked to be) copper contact surface in there, so i will pull it back out and clean it up a bit

Old 06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,682 Likes on 1,359 Posts
These wires get old and fade, so sometimes it's hard to make out what their original colors were. If you are getting voltage on the brown wire leaving the headlight switch when the switch is pulled out, then do not worry about the tan/white wire, it's ok.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:03 PM
crestfallinman
Elder User

i had no voltage anywhere lol im bowing down and taking it to the local guy who specializes in this stuff, i simply dont have the time anymore sadly lol

Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by crestfallinman
i had no voltage anywhere lol im bowing down and taking it to the local guy who specializes in this stuff, i simply dont have the time anymore sadly lol
Sounds like a good plan. A wise man once said "Well, you're a good man, lieutenant. A good man always knows his limitations."

Quick Reply: lights all messed up! help!