1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

coolent filter and colder ac mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 AM
baker1983
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolent filter and colder ac mod?

Ok im going to be putting a coolent filter on and i also want to do the colder ac mod using a ball valve how would that affect a coolent filter since u shut off one side of your heater core hose w the valve

Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using a ball valve to dead head the pump. The pump can build a LOT of pressure and may damage something if that hose is turned off completely. The better solution is to install the bypass valve from a Ford Ranger. It will allow the coolant to recirculate and just bypasses the heater coil. That way you could just tee your lines for the filter in before the bypass and its function will be uninterrupted. I will try and find a link and post it up here later on when I have some time.

EDIT: I think this is the one you need.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=380395

Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't think the ball valve will hurt anything. There are other paths the water will flow through when the heater hose is shut off. It won't hurt your coolant filter set up either, other than the fact that you won't be filtering the coolant that is sitting in the heater core and other heater hose.

The 7.3 Excursion trucks came with a vacuum operated heater control valve like the ranger did, but they only installed in 1 hose. So the Ford set up for the 7.3 does the same thing the ball valve would do, it's just vacuum operated. More Information for MOTORCRAFT YG275

Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Diesel site sells a kit like that too. It is called the max ac assist. It is Vacuum operated and closes when the dial is on max ac. It said on there that the factory one doesnt shut all the way.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Interesting, subscribing!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
I have been wondering bout this product for a while. I didnt know if it was ok to just block the flow to the heater core where it could not circulate.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
This is an old link I found on PSN, Rodney may be able to help with some good info. on this.
A/C Mod time - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
I am really tired so going to get some sleep now. Check it out and good nite to all.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM
TexasDiesel97
Senior User
I'm thinking you could install the coolant filter like Talyn did( someone please help with a link to that thread) and then install your ball valve further down the line thats used for the "in" on the filter. IIRC RRanch use to run his filter full flow through one heater line and it didn't hurt anything( as spring a leak) so there for it shouldn't hurt anything to run it full flow when the valve is close and partial flow when the valve it open. Hope all that makes sense.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:35 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Dieselsite "Max A/C assist" ball valve and their coolant filter on my truck. As you can see in the pic below, my coolant filter doesn't install on the heater hoses. Mine draws coolant from the side of the water pump and returns into the radiator overflow hose. No issue with doing it that way.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Thanks for that info travis, you just made up my mind bout getting one.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:25 AM
cornbinder
Senior User
if you want colder a-c, you need to buy a orfice tube filter with a smaller diameter hole. it will give you colder a-c, but you could risk "freezing up" if you run it at maximum load capacity for long periods of time. it does work, cheap any easy way for cold cold a-c. a effecient performing a-c system in good working order should be completely adequate though. just my 2 cents. pete

Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
I don't think the ball valve will hurt anything. There are other paths the water will flow through when the heater hose is shut off. It won't hurt your coolant filter set up either, other than the fact that you won't be filtering the coolant that is sitting in the heater core and other heater hose.
The 7.3 Excursion trucks came with a vacuum operated heater control valve like the ranger did, but they only installed in 1 hose. So the Ford set up for the 7.3 does the same thing the ball valve would do, it's just vacuum operated. More Information for MOTORCRAFT YG275
If you use this valve do you only need one and then hook it into the passenger side hose? And is it better, worse, or indifferent to use this one vs the bypass setup from the ranger?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do the ball valve block its best to drill a small hole through the ball piercing the ball on either side when its in the closed postion. This allows some circulation of fluid and prohibits leaching and corrosion that can occur in a dormant condition.

Just saw your q- I would use the inlet.

also if you do the hole cone the inlet and outlet with a larger drill bit-- the cone prohibits burrs from damaging the seats when opening it and minimizes cavitation pitting on the outlet hole

Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I've installed shut off valves on 2 of my trucks with no problems. I can't answer if it's better or worse than the Ranger mod, but you do have to pop the hood to shut it off and on. That's something you don't have to deal with if you go the Ranger mod.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:07 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I've installed shut off valves on 2 of my trucks with no problems. I can't answer if it's better or worse than the Ranger mod, but you do have to pop the hood to shut it off and on. That's something you don't have to deal with if you go the Ranger mod.
Yeah, I'm going to use a vac operated valve either way. Heck, it's probably the same price as some manual ball valves. My question is concerning the one Chris linked from the 7.3s vs the ranger valve. It looks like this
Then there's the one from Dieselsite. I wish I knew what part it is. It's supposed to be better than the later 7.3 ones and it still only uses one hose.

Quick Reply: coolent filter and colder ac mod?