Sponsored by: Moser

Intercooler protection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:48 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by King Ranch
To say it will effect intake temp can not be any worse from driving your truck in the desert heat to say winter in the north country. How can they say the grill will harm the engine?
Because they (the Ford engineers) will have to look at the worst case.
One other thing could be that the computer uses speed and ambient air temp as input for adjustments, and assumes an unobstructed air flow. That's just something that would be possible, I have no idea if that really is done this way ....
Ford suggests 5W-30 oil for the EB engine, and most people agree that it is most likely best to use 5W-30 - because that's what is recommended, even if 5W-20 may work fine in most cases. Same thing. Why risk it and keep on questioning the Ford recommendation?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

Well mine is staying on, dealer has no problem with it.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:18 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
One other thing could be that the computer uses speed and ambient air temp as input for adjustments, and assumes an unobstructed air flow.
You do realize that the intercooler is just that, a cooler for the incoming air. The air intake is not the opening in question. The lower grill opening is just for the air to flow through the intercooler cooling the intake air. It is not an opening for the actual intake.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:42 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by msgtord
You do realize that the intercooler is just that, a cooler for the incoming air. The air intake is not the opening in question. The lower grill opening is just for the air to flow through the intercooler cooling the intake air. It is not an opening for the actual intake.
Yes, I know. Not sure what the point is though.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 AM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Correct me if Im wrong here....

I agree the opening is used only to cool the intercooler. BUT doesn't the intake air go through the intercooler?

Thus that opening in essence cools the intake air.

With this in mind... Whats your point?

Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
With this in mind... Whats your point?
It has appeared to me that over the last few months and many post, there are members that do not really understand the function of the lower grill opening and the intercooler. Some of the comments make you believe that some think that the lower grill opening is for the air that is directed into the engine and not just for cooling the air that is being piped from the turbo's and back up to the engine.

My thought is that if you are towing a 11,300 pound load up a 6% grade on a day like we had today where the temperature hit 115 degrees, you might not want to restrict the air flow through the intercooler.

But for the vast majority of ecoboost drivers who only tow less than 1% of the vehicles life, it probably will not make any difference by having a nice looking grill instead of a gaping hole, even on the hottest of days.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
It has appeared to me that over the last few months and many post, there are members that do not really understand the function of the lower grill opening and the intercooler. Some of the comments make you believe that some think that the lower grill opening is for the air that is directed into the engine and not just for cooling the air that is being piped from the turbo's and back up to the engine.

My thought is that if you are towing a 11,300 pound load up a 6% grade on a day like we had today where the temperature hit 115 degrees, you might not want to restrict the air flow through the intercooler.

But for the vast majority of ecoboost drivers who only tow less than 1% of the vehicles life, it probably will not make any difference by having a nice looking grill instead of a gaping hole, even on the hottest of days.
You are probably right, at least one would hope so.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:56 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Well said and completely agree. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
jade97
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
I have the eBay Grill. I have not noticed any difference in performance with or without the grill installed. My dealer has not even mentioned the grill, ever.

Now to fuel the fire , here is the calculation for the % blockage of the eBay Grill:

Bumper Opening:
20.5 in x 5 in = 102.5 sq in

eBay Grill:
each horizontal slat: 20.5 in x 0.125 in = 2.5625 sq in x 11 horizontal slats = 28.1875 sq in

each vertical slat: 5 in x 0.5 in = 2.5 sq in x 2 vertical slats = 5 sq in

Total eBay Grill: 33.1875 sq in

% blockage: 33.1875 sq in / 102.5 sq in = 0.3237805 = 32.4 % blockage

Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jade97
I have the eBay Grill. I have not noticed any difference in performance with or without the grill installed. My dealer has not even mentioned the grill, ever.

Now to fuel the fire , here is the calculation for the % blockage of the eBay Grill:

Bumper Opening:

eBay Grill:
each horizontal slat: 20.5 in x 0.125 in = 2.5625 sq in x 11 horizontal slats = 28.1875 sq in

That actually *IS* a lot of blockage. I have seen a calculation with very similar numbers on a different forum a while ago. Now if you also consider the fact that the grille, besides covering area, most likely introduces a lot of turbulence, I would think that a reduction of cooling capacity of up to 50% would be possible.
For me, since I am frequently towing a travel trailer, doing that is out of the question. The risk of even slightly overheating the turbos on a regular basis would not be worth it, and could end up being quite expensive (especially if the real problems shows itself after the warranty expires).

Old 06-04-2012, 12:31 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Originally Posted by jade97

Bumper Opening:

eBay Grill:

Originally Posted by flixden
That actually *IS* a lot of blockage. I have seen a calculation with very similar numbers on a different forum a while ago. Now if you also consider the fact that the grille, besides covering area, most likely introduces a lot of turbulence, I would think that a reduction of cooling capacity of up to 50% would be possible.
For me, since I am frequently towing a travel trailer, doing that is out of the question. The risk of even slightly overheating the turbos on a regular basis would not be worth it, and could end up being quite expensive (especially if the real problems shows itself after the warranty expires).
I agree that is alot of area. BUT the intercooler does not get its air necessarily exclusively from that one hole. If you open the hood the intercooler is very visible from above as well.

I like you am not willing to risk the loss of flow and turbulence esp. while towing.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are hundreds of thousands of IC'd vehicles on the road. When was the last time you heard, or read on an internet forum of a damaged IC from daily driving?

It does happen, but very, very rarely considering the miles traveled/damaged IC's

I'd just let the thing hang out in the airstream, unobstructed, doing it's job. Just like it was designed to do.

Also, an IC is just a dry Radiator. How many radiators has anyone damaged during daily driving? I've driven over a million miles. Mostly on some of Minnesota's most rural back/logging roads. I've never experianced any radiator/ic damage.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigDfromTN
I agree that is alot of area. BUT the intercooler does not get its air necessarily exclusively from that one hole. If you open the hood the intercooler is very visible from above as well.
It will get 99% or more of it's cooling from that hole, because of the airflow when driving. It would be different if you are not moving, but that's not the case when the most cooling is needed - under load.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
jade97
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the #1 reason Ford did not install a grill in that location is................................................ .......$$$$$$

Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Originally Posted by flixden
It will get 99% or more of it's cooling from that hole, because of the airflow when driving. It would be different if you are not moving, but that's not the case when the most cooling is needed - under load.
I do not disagree at all!

Now to open another can of worms on this......

Would it be advantageous to build out a shroud from that opening to the Intercooler? Kinda a Ram Air effect.

Quick Reply: Intercooler protection?