Is a coolant filter worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:57 AM
jdhart73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it clogs then the coolant just bypasses the filter lines
And goes its normal route. It's a bypass system
So it filters a portion of the coolant on each pass, not all.... Truck won't overheat.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Still wouldn't have one.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:23 PM
jdhart73
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Still wouldn't have one.
What's your reason now? LOL

Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
here is a scary picture for you. Bought my truck used with 9,800 miles on the odometer in August 2011.

500 miles after installing the filter, I was too curious and cut it out. <11,000 miles on the motor total

doesn't seem like alot right? remember that is only 500 miles or so and the extreme low mileage of my truck. I'm scared/interested to see how it looks when I pull it at the 3,000 mile point for inspection.

btw, my EOT vs. ECT is 4-5F at speeds...I'm aiming to keep it that way
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
The setup at Dieselsite.com is the only one I know about. Actually, scratch that. There was one person who has a setup purchased from another site, I remember seeing the pics, but I can't remember where he got it from.
I've got the Sinister one. very good construction/quality. Paid $115 I think for it shipped. Had everything needed and came with pretty decent instructions as well
installed

Old 05-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
There isn't much to be filtered in the coolant system and it is just another thing to have fail while on the road.

What happens when the filter plugs up? Overheated motor, on the side of the road, probably in the middle of nowhere. The coolant system doesn't like restrictions especially in the main path.
As previously stated, nothing would happen since the coolant pathway isn't affected.

I have a quarter turn ball valve on my coolant filter system I can turn off, thereby blocking the coolant filter from getting any coolant, and continue driving with zero affect on the coolant system.

Vehicles have been fine for 100 years without a coolant filter, no need to start using one now (unless you have a 6.0 apparently).
I would agree with you to a degree.

If a person is still using a conventional green coolant or the hybrid Ford "gold" coolant, then I'd STRONGLY suggest installing a coolant filter system because of the silicate drop-out that will eat up your water pump. If a person is running an OAT ELC coolant, not so much, because there is no silicate drop-out.

But like I've said a few times now, nothing but GOOD can come from having a coolant filter setup, even with ELC.

Stewart

Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
As previously stated, nothing would happen since the coolant pathway isn't affected.

I have a quarter turn ball valve on my coolant filter system I can turn off, thereby blocking the coolant filter from getting any coolant, and continue driving with zero affect on the coolant system.

I would agree with you to a degree.

If a person is still using a conventional green coolant or the hybrid Ford "gold" coolant, then I'd STRONGLY suggest installing a coolant filter system because of the silicate drop-out that will eat up your water pump. If a person is running an OAT ELC coolant, not so much, because there is no silicate drop-out.

But like I've said a few times now, nothing but GOOD can come from having a coolant filter setup, even with ELC.

Stewart

Thats all good stuff and I agree. But to me the risk of more possible leak locations and complexity isn't worth the questionable reward.

Many many times you hear stories or see posts here about people saying "I started having problems with my after market (this or that) so I pulled it out and put the stock part back and have been running problem free for X amount of years". Point being most aftermarket parts aren't built to great standards like most/all OEM are. Adding any extra parts to fluid systems on vehicles increases a chance of a leak and leaks many times are standing/vacation ruiners.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Many many times you hear stories or see posts here about people saying "I started having problems with my after market (this or that) so I pulled it out and put the stock part back and have been running problem free for X amount of years". Point being most aftermarket parts aren't built to great standards like most/all OEM are. Adding any extra parts to fluid systems on vehicles increases a chance of a leak and leaks many times are standing/vacation ruiners.
Ok, but remember who you're having this conversation with! A bunch of like-minded enthusiast who like to modify their vehicles!

Stewart

Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 AM
ToysRUs
Senior User
Thats all good stuff and I agree. But to me the risk of more possible leak locations and complexity isn't worth the questionable reward.

Possibility of a low pressure coolant leak?
OR
Possibility of my oil cooler clogged with casting sand?

I choose filtering out the casting sand every time.
The way the bypass system is plumbed makes it simple to fix any foreseeable leaks with the onboard tool/repair kit.
You do carry a kit with tools, wire, hose clamps, serpentine belt, etc. Don't you??????

Old 05-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ToysRUs
You do carry a kit with tools, wire, hose clamps, serpentine belt, etc. Don't you??????

My X is all stock, I don't need tools for anything. Can't change the serp belt because ford ran the radiator hose threw it.

I think I have only been stranded twice in my life and have over a million miles under my belt.

One stranding was because of a incompetent mechanic that didn't reinstall ALL the line clamps on our 6.9 IDI which caused a injector line to crack.

The other stranding I don't even recall what happened. I may have only been stranded the once.

I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance in the shop BEFORE anything fails.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ToysRUs
Possibility of a low pressure coolant leak?
OR
Possibility of my oil cooler clogged with casting sand?

I bought a 7.3 to avoid problems like that. I did my research before purchasing the X and I guess you can consider it preventative research.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Can't change the serp belt because ford ran the radiator hose threw it.
You can. Ya don't lose very much coolant pulling the hose to swap the belt. Plus, there is a fix for that...swap out your hose for the one used for the dual alternator setup. NAPA Gates hose part number 9066.

Stewart

Old 05-27-2012, 06:01 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

I've been running a Dieselsite system for years, and haven't had a problem with it. Its a very simple, effective design. If a leak were to develop, its most likely due to improper installation. In other words, it's pretty hard to (#©* it up.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
You can. Ya don't lose very much coolant pulling the hose to swap the belt. Plus, there is a fix for that...swap out your hose for the one used for the dual alternator setup. NAPA Gates hose part number 9066.

Stewart

Yeah, when my belt gets old I will change the hose to the "around the belt" when I change the belt. Everything was just done on the X not long ago (fluid change, new belt, and stuff) so I am not to worried about it right now.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:29 AM
crazytwo
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With all due respect, you're a funny guy...and full of contradictions. Read your own signature lines.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:45 AM
crazytwo
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Didn't read all the replys, just wanted to throw my .02 in here.

From everything I read I would use one on a 6.0 (the pickiest motor in history). But that would be it, I wouldn't have a coolant filter on anything else. There isn't much to be filtered in the coolant system and it is just another thing to have fail while on the road.

What happens when the filter plugs up? Overheated motor, on the side of the road, probably in the middle of nowhere. The coolant system doesn't like restrictions especially in the main path.

Vehicles have been fine for 100 years without a coolant filter, no need to start using one now (unless you have a 6.0 apparently).

Maybe we should start filtering the differential fluid too?
The earth was flat once before it wasn't and the first small block Chevys had no provision for an oil filter. Cars didnt have cabin filters for 100 years before they did. I don't have much faith in car manufacturers doing what's good for the consumer. The bottom line is all they are concerned about.

I just ordered a filter base and 6 filters for my 7.3. I will be into the set up about $50. I don't give a damn about billet this or anodized that. I will be sure to post pictures of what I don't filter out of my coolant system. I will be the first to admit that I just got it back on the road after the Excursion sitting for 6 years. I know the coolant is toast and I want to be sure the system is cleaned out of as much garbage before putting in ELC back in.

Quick Reply: Is a coolant filter worth it?