Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a coolant filter worth it?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM
youknowitdadio
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sticking Matt's slr or + on this week. Got an Egr delete, turbo back with cat delete and k&n cold air intake. Anything I can think of to keep it cool? Suggestions? I saw something about a coolant filter? And down the road will be guages like fuel pressure and exhaust temps.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
From what I've read about the 6.0 L diesels, it is a must.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by jh818
From what I've read about the 6.0 L diesels, it is a must.
It really and truly is...

I just installed one on my 7.3 after flushing and adding CAT ELC. For a 7.3 it greatly reduces the likelyhood of having to replace the waterpump.

On a 6.0 it provides an even greater benefit by catching whatever casting sand is in the cooling system. This casting sand clogs the oil cooler which causes an overheating condition since it reduces the flow of coolant to the EGR cooler and the rest of the motor. From there, the heads lift, warp, and you're looking at an expensive repair.

A simple $100 part can save you from an expensive repair.

http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-20076...waterpump.aspx

If your coolant is for some reason green, a complete flush with VC-9 is in order. You'll also need to replace it with an ELC mentioned in Goochs post here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8935201

Old 05-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
On a 6.0 it provides an even greater benefit by catching whatever casting sand is in the cooling system. This casting sand clogs the oil cooler which causes an overheating condition since it reduces the flow of coolant to the EGR cooler and the rest of the motor.[/url]
Correction (I assume): RADIATOR (more appropriately called a liquid-to-air heat exchanger)

Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by Monsta
Correction (I assume): RADIATOR (more appropriately called a liquid-to-air heat exchanger)
On a gas powerwed vehicle, yes. A clogged radiator would cause an overheat condition, but on a 6.0 it's a different story.

You can ask both my neighbors...

One had a clogged oil cooler and the shop he kept taking it to changed the radiator a total of 4 times before they realized what was really causing the problem. The EGR cooler blew up, the heads were warped, and Ford wanted $7K to fix it.

As for my neighbor with the '04 Superduty, his truck started puking coolant and getting a little hotter than usual. It was to the point where he had to add coolant more often than he was supposed to. The other part of it was that he used the 50/50 green coolant which didn't help things. He eventually sold his truck (now misses it) and has a 1/2 ton Chevrolet Silverado.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:59 PM
2000EX7.3L
Junior User
Crap....my 7.3 has green...so you are saying flush and replace. Will do!

Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
It's worth the cost, after my install the 1st filter was caked with sand! The 2nd filter was cleaner that the 1st one. Get your gauges before or when you start tuning your truck. The tunes your talking about will heat up your engine/turbo. Once your tuned, you can't go back to stock

Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by 2000EX7.3L
Crap....my 7.3 has green...so you are saying flush and replace. Will do!
Yeah, it finally hit me when I changed mine over to ELC. I kept waiting for it to fail, even set the cash aside, and nothing. Then it hit me...

The last 3 times the waterpump failed, I had the green coolant. The waterpump failed the first time Summer 2007, again Summer 2008, and for the final time (I hope) Summer 2010. This final time, I had the shop use Ford Premium Gold which is a HOAT or Hybrid Organic Acid Technology coolant. (has considerably less silicate drop out than the green stuff)

Since using it and now switching to CAT ELC, I haven't had a problem with the waterpump showing signs of failing. (it seemed to fail every 2 years with the green stuff)

Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by youknowitdadio
Yes.

Nothing but good can come from a filter on the coolant system.

Unlike the oil system, with a coolant filter setup, the system doesn't force all of the coolant through the filer setup. The filter setup only pulls a percentage of coolant from the system just before the degas bottle, filters it, then sends it back to the degas bottle.

With a system like that, if your filter eve got plugged (rare), nothing adverse would happen to your rig because the coolant would just bypass the filter bypass setup.

More info and flushing procedures for anyone interested: Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure and In-Depth Coolant Information - FTE

Stewart

Old 05-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I had the shop use Ford Premium Gold which is a HOAT or Hybrid Organic Acid Technology coolant. (has considerably less silicate drop out than the green stuff)

Just in case anyone is looking for the "gold" and doesn't have access to Ford, the Ford "gold" is the same as the Zerex G-05 coolant. Both are H-OAT coolants.

Stewart

Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
On a gas powerwed vehicle, yes. A clogged radiator would cause an overheat condition, but on a 6.0 it's a different story.
Teach me Obi-Wan.

How does a coolant filter prevent the oil cooler from clogging up?

I'm obviously confused. I'm thinking that a coolant filter would be filtering coolant, not oil.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 PM
jdhart73
Senior User
I know you weren't asking me but the oil gets cooled by the coolant passing through the guts of the oil cooler. The theory here is that the casting sand and goo from flushes or lack of can clog the cooler elements which in turn provides NO cooling to the oil etc....

If you add a coolant filter to the mix you can filter a lot of the crud out of the cooling system and minimize particles getting to the oil cooler in the long run hence
extending the life of your oil cooler.

hope that makes sense?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by jdhart73
I know you weren't asking me but the oil gets cooled by the coolant passing through the guts of the oil cooler. The theory here is that the casting sand and goo from flushes or lack of can clog the cooler elements which in turn provides NO cooling to the oil etc....

If you add a coolant filter to the mix you can filter a lot of the crud out of the cooling system and minimize particles getting to the oil cooler in the long run hence
extending the life of your oil cooler.

hope that makes sense?
That's basically the gist of it...

Casting sand clogs the oil cooler, which in turn restricts the flow of coolant to the EGR cooler and the rest of the motor. From there, the motor overheats, the heads start warping, cracking, or both, and the rest is an expensive repair.

A coolant filter prevents, if not reduces the likelyhood of all this by catching the casting sand in a filter, thus removing it from the cooling system.

Originally Posted by Monsta
Teach me Obi-Wan.

How does a coolant filter prevent the oil cooler from clogging up?

I'm obviously confused. I'm thinking that a coolant filter would be filtering coolant, not oil.
With the knowledge attained, go forth Young Padawan.......and May The Force be with you

Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 PM
04fivefour
Senior User
If you do a search on the coolant filter on any of the forums you will never see anyone saying "damn i shouldn't have put that coolant filter on". you will see stories of people saying they wished they had because there head bolts stretched. There is ALOT of information out there on coolant filters and Bypass filters in general. one guy (can't remember his URL right now) put a bypass filter on just about every fluid in his rig and extended the frequency that he has to change fluids which also is going to extend the life of his vehichle. Hop over to the 6.0 part of the forum and ask the guys for the 6.0 information shread sheet. Hell of a lot of info for every part of the truck.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
i have drained my coolant several times to do a flush and to do repairs on my truck and every single time i drain it and look into the bottom of the pail i see loads of silt dirt and **** that should never be in my system! and i was thorough with my flush which i did immediately after owning!
try it yourself and you will see how important it really is as well as thinking that the coolant goes through 3 "heat exchangers" oil cooler egr cooler and radiator. all prone to clogging.
highly recommended!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a coolant filter worth it?