1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Flathead Not Worth The Bother, To Finicky?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 PM
56f1hundred
Freshman User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flathead Not Worth The Bother, To Finicky?

Hi, I'm new on here and I wanted an honest opinion. I am going to build a 1949 Mercury M1 half ton pickup with modern steering and suspension but with an 8BA flathead engine and S-10 T-5 transmission and 8.8 rear Lincoln I.F.S. I've never owned a flathead vehicle and I love old school stuff but I talk to a lot of people who say they aren't worth it, don't bother, use a small block. They say flatheads are heavy, poor oiling, always have to adjust the valves, oil leakers, overheaters, low power, unreliable,weak bottom end, big $ to build up for more power with a limited increases without a blower. I think they are cool engines and would like to try one, what are your real world experienced opinions? Thanks in advance, Rob

Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by 56f1hundred
They say flatheads are heavy, poor oiling, always have to adjust the valves, oil leakers, overheaters, low power, unreliable,weak bottom end, big $ to build up for more power with a limited increases without a blower. I think they are cool engines and would like to try one, what are your real world experienced opinions? Thanks in advance, Rob
Wow - you forgot the part about their children being ugly and dim witted.

DW

Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 PM
56f1hundred
Freshman User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, too funny, those are just some of the reasons people have told me not to bother with the flatheads!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Hi, I am going to build a 1949 Mercury M1 half ton pickup with modern steering and suspension but with an 8BA flathead engine and S-10 T-5 transmission and 8.8 rear Lincoln I.F.S.they are cool engines and would like to try one, what are your real world experienced opinions? Thanks in advance, Rob
Welcome to the forum. Since you plan on modernizing the rest of the truck you probably would not be satisfied with an old tec engine. Sure they're cool engines, most of them have been run hard and put away wet, abused, neglected and misunderstood. The stock flatheads did not have adjustable valves. The adjustment was to grind the end of the valve to get desired clearance. Adjustable lifters are aftermarket, necessary when you start playing with cams.
Sure they're neat engines. A local guy has two high tec, very nicely done roadsters, both running flatheads. And yes, he drives them. I think one is a six speed and the other is a five speed.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
What are you going to do with your truck? Long freeway drives? Drag racing? Are you going to want A/C and P/S? I'd guess so from your choice for suspension. If so, go ahead with the SBF or SBC, leave the good flatheads for us stocker guys!

Seriously, your friends' advice has kernels of truth compared to modern engines -- wouldn't you expect in 60 years they'd make some improvements? A flathead that makes much more than 125 - 130 HP will cost as much as a 5.0 that makes 300, and then you have to figure out how to hook up accessories that it was never designed to have.

It just depends on whether you want a true classic or a street rod. A flathead in a truck with IFS/IRS doesn't make a lot of sense IMO.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Hi, I'm new on here and I wanted an honest opinion. I am going to build a 1949 Mercury M1 half ton pickup with modern steering and suspension but with an 8BA flathead engine and S-10 T-5 transmission and 8.8 rear Lincoln I.F.S. I've never owned a flathead vehicle and I love old school stuff but I talk to a lot of people who say they aren't worth it, don't bother, use a small block. They say flatheads are heavy, poor oiling, always have to adjust the valves, oil leakers, overheaters, low power, unreliable,weak bottom end, big $ to build up for more power with a limited increases without a blower. I think they are cool engines and would like to try one, what are your real world experienced opinions? Thanks in advance, Rob
There's probably a lot of truth in what "they" are saying. Sure, flatheads are heavy. They weigh as much as a modern big block. (Not sure if we can call 60's-70's engines modern anymore, though ) Their seals and machining tolerances are not anywhere close to today's standards, so expect some oil leakage, kind of like an old Harley.

They were rated when new at 100hp, and that was probably optimistic. You can also figure on a 20% hp loss through the rest of the drivetrain to the rear wheels. You're not going to win too many stop light drag races. With only 239 cubic inches and the compromised breathing they have, power potential is no doubt somewhat limited.

Reliability is going to be no different than anything else. People drove them daily and across the country for many, many years. If you take care of them and keep them in tune, they'll run forever. Ditto, and they won't overheat on you, either. But it will need a tune up and plug change long before the 100,000 mile mark like your new Lincoln.

The bottom end only has 3 main bearings instead of the more common 5 mains in a modern V8, so there's going to be some limitations on how much horsepower it can stand. But as long as you're not doing anything stupid to it, it's more than capable of keeping up with it's intended potential.

Yes, parts are going to be very expensive. It's not a SBC so don't expect to find a $99 rebuild kit at Auto Zone. Low demand = low production = low ROI = high costs.

I believe you are correct in that they are really cool and a part of our gearhead history. I'm looking forward to playing with my first one, as well. All that said, if I was building a heavily modified hot rod truck with all the modern conveniences of power everything, IFS/IRS, etc., I don't think I would stick with the old school engine. It just wouldn't be right.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Yah, you don't want one of those old things.....send it over to me, I'll put it to use! LOL!

They aren't for every one, but once you have one you will fall in love. Mine starts on the first turn, doesn't burn oil, doesn't over heat and really purrs like a kitten.(I probably just jinxed myself)
BUT. It took a lot of work and tinkering to get it to that point. Plus a lifetime of playing with these motors doesn't hurt.
I recently added a 5 speed to it which really makes it fun to drive. I drive my truck every day if possible.
Bottom line, it's just an engine......any engine can be good or bad.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
''they arent for everyone'' a zillion people use and beat the crap every
day out of flathead lawnmowers and they aint even got a oil pump or
adjustable lifters either == there ya go

Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
...a lot of people who say they aren't worth it, don't bother, use a small block. They say flatheads are heavy, poor oiling, always have to adjust the valves, oil leakers, overheaters, low power, unreliable,weak bottom end, big $ to build up for more power with a limited increases without a blower. I think they are cool engines and would like to try one
If the coolness factor is worth all the aforementioned aggravation then go for it! Once I finish a build, I want no more tinkering...just cruizin' but that's just me.