1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Gauges

Has anyone put modern gauges behind thier instrument panel glass? How 'bout modern gauges instead of idiot lights as well? Any photos?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:08 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Fine.... I'l just keep hanging them with zip-ties and brackets all over the dash. It's just that I already have some that work fine and hate to spend the $ for nos or reproduction. I really needed an accurate temp gauge with numbers as I work out a cooling system for my project fridge. They just might fit through the original holes in the back panel that holds the speedometer. I held one up behind the finish face plate and you can read them through the original holes. It's not like I haven't already butchered most of the truck already. What's one more piece?

Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM
57icebox
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the econoline gauge cluster has small gauges where the idiot lights are on a fridge gauge cluster. I have definitly one across pictures of gauge panels from big trucks like f750 having the same layout through the sixities and seventies.

The coolest ones have a tachometer and a vacuum gauge.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Imperialkid
Freshman User
Here is an adapter panel on eBay ... not sure if anyone has experience with this. I am contempating the Dakota Dig gauges, but this is a solid backup.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Thanks, good to see what's out there, but that's almost what I paid for the truck. I've got a hole saw and I'm not afraid to use it!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Imperialkid
Freshman User
The Dakota Dig is nearly 3Xs what I paid for my 57! LOL! At any rate, I bet you could build an adapter panel yourself to add a few modern gauges with some careful measuring.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Thanks, I-K At first I didn't see the link to the 84.00 option. I did however run down to the shop and did a test fit on a random gauge in the original mounting hole. Dead perfect slide in fit at 2 1/16" dia. The temp gauge will be where I have the OP gauge in the pic. The OP gauge is in a bit cockeyed so it doesn't look centered. I will make up some short tubes to hold them the correct distance back from the glass. Maybe some 2" pvc pipe, reamed out with a drill mounted drum sander....... Even the purists might agree the the black face on the right looks better than the faded out, non working gauge on the left. 'Darkness, darkness, be my blanket.' Jesse Colin Young

Attached Images    
Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 PM
2losteve
Senior User
On one of my project trucks I was in a similar situation with gauges; I went to the pic-a-part and found what I thought might work and adapted them like you are doing. Many of them are similar in size and are quite 'inexpensive'.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
A bit slow this week in the cabinet shop. 'Inexpensive' is the key word here. Hey, but look at all this bonus time to goof around with the truck. Oh wait, taxes are due next week.......

Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 616 Likes on 552 Posts
They don't look bad at all! I hope you will cherish that heater control you have hanging from the dash. If it gets in your way, send it to NY for safe keeping untill you come out of your "dark", period! I could go steal one off some old junk C*#*y or cornbinder for you to use!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
How 'bout one from a 70's toyota corona.? I always thought they were pretty sweet heater controls.......But really, the heater controls all work and I can't wait to hook up the light and see the glow from the magic air heater.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Got two in and working. Found that 2" abs plumbing vent pipe is about 2 1/16th ID and was a great collar for the gauges, cut with a chopsaw into 5/8" tall rings. This set them off the glass to factory specs. I found the gauges differ somewhat in dia so had to use a die grinder just a bit to pass one through the stock dash hole. It wouldn't affect remounting stock gauges though. The camera lens distorts the perspective, but the gauges are perfectly centered and you can read the numbers from the drivers seat. This was really easy, once I did the figuring. I bi-passed the voltage limiter for the stock gauges, as the aftermarket ones use 12 volts. One lead on the limiter is male, the other female, so I just unplugged them from the device and plugged the two leads into each other. Both my original fuel and temp gauges were shot, as testing from the ford shop manual proved, but I later found my tank sender float had sunk as well. The photo shows why, and I found a temporary replacement until I order the 14.00 float from Sacremento Vintage Ford.

Attached Images    
Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 616 Likes on 552 Posts
You can't get much more Ford than a light bulb. Remember the old add campaign, "Ford has a better idea!" ?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Can't find anything much cheaper than a burned out 25 watt appliance bulb either. Good memory Spur, I had forgotten that ad! You know how I try to keep it all ford when I can.....This phase is complete for now, dash all buttoned up. Started on floors today.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
hotfalcoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I found this on Ebay today and thought it went well with this thread.

Ford : F-100 Ford : F-100 | eBay

Quick Reply: Gauges