6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Figure this one out????

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:37 PM
lundman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Figure this one out????

So I noticed that when I am driving my 2011 F-250 diesel and using the Sync to set my primary phone on, I get the message "This feature is not available for your safety while driving." or something to that effect. So I don't have any phone.

Yet, when I am driving I can use the same Sync and connect the same phone to my bluetooth and get to connect it and use it that way? Go figure???

Now the question is where is the logic that implies for my own safety can't connect the phone as a Primary but yet I can by-pass it easily just by going the bluetooth route and push the buttons while driving and get the same phone connected that way?

If I go to the Primary I have to pull over to the side and stop for connectivity yet I can connect the phone driving using the bluetooth route.

I have to laugh at the engineers or safety people who supposedly thought this one out. It doesn't make any sense and someone must have had a brain fa*t during this phase of production.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Use it how, exactly?

Handsfree for phone calls?
Streaming audio?
???

Old 05-19-2012, 02:37 PM
lundman
Senior User
figure this out

Use it for hands free phone calls. Have to stop to connect the primary phone but don't have to stop to connect via the bluetooth screen.

That is what I mean?

Old 05-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lundman
Use it for hands free phone calls. Have to stop to connect the primary phone but don't have to stop to connect via the bluetooth screen.

That is what I mean?
Once you've paired the phone to the head unit it should automatically remember that connection each time you're in the truck. Did you read the manual?

Old 05-19-2012, 02:50 PM
lundman
Senior User
figure this out?

It does pair it but I have two cell phones and have to switch them up. I have my personal cell phone and then I have a strictly business cell phone. Only one at at time will connect to the sync.

Yea, I read the manual but it isn't a very good info manual in my opinion. Even the dealership guys have trouble figuring some of it out.

Try it out. Disconnect your phone, then drive and try to connect it as a primary. You won't be able to if you have disconnected it. However, you can connect it via the bluetooth buttons while you are driving? Very strange?

Old 05-19-2012, 03:18 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is there a way to connect your phone for hands free use other than Bluetooth?

It sounds to me that if you use the Bluetooth connection all your problems go away, so why don't you just do it that way? Isn't that what the Bluetooth connection is for?

Are you using the USB port? I assumed that the USB port was mainly for portable mp3 players, like an iPod. I never even considered using the USB port for telephone connectivity.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
I only use BT for my phone. I don't know how else you would connect it.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM
lundman
Senior User
Figure this out???

I have my koodo personal phone connected most times as the Primary source in the BT menu. However, when I want to use my Bell business phone instead I either have to make it the primary source or disconnect it and make the bell phone connect thru the BT menu where it says connect Blue tooth, then scroll to the phone and connect it. The thing that I am saying that is weird though, is that to connect any phone thru as the primary source the truck must be stopped. But to connect any phone thru the connect Blue tooth menu, the truck can be driving or in motion. So with the primary connect, I get the message "This application is not available for my own safety while driving." But it does't seem to be a concern when I scroll thru the menu to connect the phones thru Blue tooth connect as I can connect the phone while I am driving. So one way I must stop the vehicle, for my safety and the other way I don't have to stop. Very strange. Try it out and you will see what I mean.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
I have my koodo personal phone connected most times as the Primary source in the BT menu. However, when I want to use my Bell business phone instead I either have to make it the primary source or disconnect it and make the bell phone connect thru the BT menu where it says connect Blue tooth, then scroll to the phone and connect it. The thing that I am saying that is weird though, is that to connect any phone thru as the primary source the truck must be stopped. But to connect any phone thru the connect Blue tooth menu, the truck can be driving or in motion. So with the primary connect, I get the message "This application is not available for my own safety while driving." But it does't seem to be a concern when I scroll thru the menu to connect the phones thru Blue tooth connect as I can connect the phone while I am driving. So one way I must stop the vehicle, for my safety and the other way I don't have to stop. Very strange. Try it out and you will see what I mean.
I'm still confused...what is the "Primary connect"?

I have 1 way to connect a phone to my head unit in my 11 Lariat. The protocol is bluetooth and I can connect it/disconnect it while driving.

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I truly don't understand what "primary connect" is.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The automatic pairing when the phone does not connect for whatever reason can be done while driving but the manual pairing cannot be done while driving as they assume you will be looking at your device and crashing.

AFAIK you cannot connect a phone via USB it must be by bluetooth. I always use my USB connection though for charging my phone.

Primary connect? You mean setting the phone as primary? You can have multiple phones paired to the truck but the primary will take precedence over others.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:15 AM
lundman
Senior User
figure this out

You are correct about setting the one phone as "Primary" which to me means the Automatic route so that when I connect the one phone as primary it is the primary phone at the start up of the truck.

However, when I need to connect my business phone (switch phone use) I scroll thru and go to system settings- connect bluetooth- scroll to my heading for my phones- scroll until I get the code for my business phone- and connect it manually while driving. I don't have to touch my phone during this process but have to use my fingers and touch the radio arrows and also the the steering wheel setting controls to get the phone to connect. So it is very strange I am allowed to do this while driving but can't set the phone as the primary while driving cause the voice says for my own safety this feature is not available while the vehicle is moving.
Very strange set up???

Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You are correct about setting the one phone as "Primary" which to me means the Automatic route so that when I connect the one phone as primary it is the primary phone at the start up of the truck.

However, when I need to connect my business phone (switch phone use) I scroll thru and go to system settings- connect bluetooth- scroll to my heading for my phones- scroll until I get the code for my business phone- and connect it manually while driving. I don't have to touch my phone during this process but have to use my fingers and touch the radio arrows and also the the steering wheel setting controls to get the phone to connect. So it is very strange I am allowed to do this while driving but can't set the phone as the primary while driving cause the voice says for my own safety this feature is not available while the vehicle is moving.
Very strange set up???
Are you Canadian?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cabindoc
Are you Canadian?
now now scott, no need to start name calling...

Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Did I say that outloud? ....ooopppss!!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:39 AM
77Highboy460
Freshman User
Don't you have to be in park to manually connect a phone? Was this already said?

Quick Reply: Figure this one out????