1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wiring diagram GM column 54F100

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Jim VA.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is not a F100 question directly however there is a lot of us using GM colunms in our FORDS. I do not have a wiring diagram for the GM column I am using.one out of a late 60s or early 70s vette.(the ones with the little lever you have to push with your finger in order to lock the steering while turing the key counter clockwise) it has tilt and is only 30"long and fits the 54 F100 great! I have 10 colors,pink,(2) black,light blue,dark blue,brown,purple,yellow,green,and white. I suppose I could use a meter and go thru all the wires but I thought I would check with the PROS first.does anyone have a diagram? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:54 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User

jim,
1 Black Horn
2 White Stop Switch
3 Yellow Right Rear Turn
4 Dark Green Left Rear Turn
5 Purple Turn Flasher
6 Dark Blue Right Front Turn
7 Light Blue Left Front Turn
8 Dark Brown Hazard Flasher

Hope this helps

Old 05-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Jim VA.
Senior User

cabby daddy; thanks for the reply. I still have a (black and pink)unaccounted for any ideas, also which one for (ign.)? thanks.

Old 05-04-2003, 09:09 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

The following page has a bunch of Camaro schematics I found useful for the 70's GM style aftermarket electronics

http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/diagram.html

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User

Originally posted by Jim VA.
cabby daddy; thanks for the reply. I still have a (black and pink)unaccounted for any ideas, also which one for (ign.)? thanks.
thought my schematics for my truck were missing something.... the ignition swition harness... must be buried in the shop... will look tomorrow nite

Old 05-07-2003, 05:15 AM
Jim VA.
Senior User

Fenders; Thanks ! that site will help. Jim VA.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:46 AM
fatfords
Elder User

Jim,
I think Cabby pretty much nailed it for you, except I have yellow as left rear and dark green as right rear. My schematic also shows the extra black and pink wires as part of a "key in ignition" warning circuit. The buzzer is wired hot on one side, and on the other side the pink wire goes to column connector to the iignition "key in" sensor. The black wire (not to be confused with the black horn wire) then is routed to the door jam switch, so that when the door is open (the jamb switch is grounded) and the key is in, the buzzer will be grounded and make an annoying noise.

On my GM column, the actual ignition switch is a seperate switch, installed further down the tube, and is actuated my a rod that is hooked mechanically to the key. The park and neutral safety switch is yet another seperate switch, further down, close to the floor board (unless it came from a manual trans car).

PS-When do we get to see pictures of your project???

Good Luck,

Old 05-08-2003, 05:20 AM
Jim VA.
Senior User

Kent; Being computer illiterate I will have to have my wife post some photo's,or better yet set up a gallery. I have been working on the 54 for five months every day(It's nice to be RETIRED.)and are finally able to see the LIGHT at the END of the TUNNEL. I am at the point of choosing what color to paint the body and do the final assembly. and besides my wallet is getting very thin ,so the end must be near! Regards, Jim VA.

Old 05-08-2003, 07:52 AM
fatfords
Elder User

Jim VA,
If I follow your logic correctly "besides my wallet is getting very thin ,so the end must be near" then I was finished long ago! Probably before I even got started!

Hope you get your column wired up and look forward to the pics-both before and after paint!