1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro's and Con's/This or That: Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pro's and Con's/This or That: Opinions

Alright guys, I know that this subject has probably been beaten to death, but I am looking to get everybody's opinions put together.

I am looking at likely getting a Super Duty as my next truck. Do I need a Super Duty, not particularly. I prefer the larger truck, and "beefier" components as my trucks tend to see some time off the beaten path(light wheeling to get to secret fishing spots up 4-wheel trails, and hunting in the CO rockies) Alright...so that being said, here goes.

What are the pro's and con's for the different model years of Super Duty's? I have been trying to get some info together to make an educated decision myself. It seems that the front axle is the stouter dana 60 on the 03-04 trucks in the first gen. Are there any of them that have slightly better or worse ground clearance overall? Keep in mind that I plan to be getting a crew cab short bed(gotta think about kids soon), and understand extended wheelbase kills. Are there much for pro's/con's on the leaf spring over the coils? I do like the looks of the 08+ and their interiors better, but to keep it in my price range(around or under 20k) the truck's tend to have a little over 100k. I will also be sticking with a gas engine. That's a lot of information...let's see what you guys got. Thanks ahead of time. We can turn this into a discussion thread, and I will just reap the benefits.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you're sticking with a gas engine, I can offer my opinion and experience as something to think about, nothing more or less. If I were starting from scratch again, I'd still get a V10. They get about the same mileage as a 5.4 with lots more torque and HP, so why not? The '05 and up V10's have the 5 speed auto (if you're getting an auto, that is) so that's probably good. I haven't had any trouble with the 4 speed auto in my '04, but there is a bit more of an RPM "gap" between 2nd and 3rd than I'd like. However, I have to say the '05+ V10's seem to have more crap in the engine bay than my '04, which in my experience with past vehicles means more crap to fail. Still, the 05 V10's have more power and the 5 speed trans, plus the coil front ends so maybe that sways your vote. If I had a choice, I'd also get at least a 4.10 axle ratio, maybe even a 4.30 since my truck seems to like to rev, and part-throttle, around-town driving always has the truck in the bottom of the tach. If you do more freeway driving than I do, the 3.73's would probably be better, since that's what I have and it really does get good freeway mileage with them. As far as the coils vs leafs thing, I like leafs for their simplicity on my truck. In the future, I plan to lift my truck a bit, and the leafs are probably easier to swap, but I doubt coils are rocket science, so it's personal preference again. Also, mine is a crew cab, short bed and I love it. Like you said, it's extremely roomy, not too long with the short bed, and hauls everything I need. I'd like to have found a long-bed crew cab with a V10, manual 6 speed and Lariat interior, but those are kinda tough to find as you can imagine. Also, a manual transfer case control may save you headaches in the future, if you can find it. Just something to think about for now, Jim

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Thanks for weighing in, Jim. That's exactly what I am looking for. Good, honest opinions based on personal experience. I have been looking at the v10's based on exactly what you mentioned, much more power for very minimal loss in mpg's.

Anybody else?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 AM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The extra power of the V10 will be appreciated when you get in the high altitude of the Rocky Mtns. I think the 05 and newer would be my choice. More power than the older ones and better turning radius.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
I was thinking the same thing. I've spent plenty of time driving up and down the mountains, and I can't imagine the 5.4L lugging around that big truck up a steep grade empty, let alone with anything inside or towed along. I'm sure it would do it, but the v10 will be a bit happier, and likely see slightly improved mileage as a result in those situations.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As for lifting the truck either is fairly simple. The biggest gain from a 05+ truck is turning radius. I had a 04 and now a 06. It would take 4-5 lanes to turn the 04 around the 06 takes 2-3 lanes. Although not ideal the tighter turning radius will benifit running trails and what not. Overall performance stock should be pretty close between the two. I can say the difference in the 5.4 vs v10 is pretty noticable but either will do. I've driven a few 5.4s that were dogs and had 1 truck that was actually pretty decent but it had 4.30s. I would look for 4.10-4.30 gears. Get the automatic and you should be set. Slap a set of 35"-37" mud tires on it with a leveling kit and you going to be about the best all around truck. These trucks are the size of a travel trailer so some finesse and or brush guard up front and some heavy duty steps on the side (not factory one) will help. There are a lot of options for the steps but I'd choose some that are strong enough to jack the truck up and won't hang up in a off road situation. Good luck and btw unless you upping the hp and running large tires the dana 50 front in the older trucks 99-02 shouldn't be a issue. The outters iirc are pretty close to the same the biggest difference is the ring an pinion which almost never fail in hardcore wheeling with out a lot of power and when the axle is bound up. Even then the outter ujoints are normally what breaks.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Suspension
99-04 are leaf sprung up front
05+ are coil sprung up front

exactly the same out back. 08+ have longer rear leafs

Offroad wise, the coil sprung will whoop up on a normal leaf sprung truck. better articulation.
Motor
Pick your pleasure and enjoy. Sticking with gas, I personally would only get a 3v engine (5.4 or V-10) since you'll get more HP/TQ and the better transmission (5r110 vice 4r100)
Axles
99-04 have a Dana 50 and Dana 60 option for up front.
pretty sure all 05+ are Dana 60 up front (hope someone can confirm for me)

Food for thought
Even with gas motor, a F-250/350 is HEAVY. Like 7-8,000 lbs heavy. They tend to suck offroad without major traction helps like mud tires and lockers. My truck got stuck looking at a mud puddle and I'm staying in 4x2 until I can lock up the front/rear axle. Went to the beach the other day and almost got stuck in the packed sand by the road edge...had to air down my tires and barely got out.

Gas mileage sucks...just a FYI

I love my truck and would buy it again. It's very fun to drive, and it holds all 4 kids + the wife and me. Not really a smart purchase according to some, but it does the job for me very nicely. Just need to fix a few ommissions that Ford left out and it'll be perfect

Last edited by Tylus; 05-14-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Randy, thanks for the input. I am definitely hoping for a lower geared truck, and will likely end up with a locker(preferably selectable) in rear at least. If I can find a v10 in a truck with the other things I want, I plan to go that route. Tylus, nicely laid out. The mpg problem, I've just come to terms with. I'm a truck guy, and I use it. Just no way around it. I like the idea of the coil sprung front end, but the radius arm seems to hang pretty low. I think the turning radius cancels that out though as a con. I'm sure I am forgetting to say something, but I like the discussion happening. Thanks guys.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A few years back I was younger and not as wise. I took my stock excab z71 swb up a trail in new mexico called middle fork. The only mods to the truck were a ranch hand and 33' mud tires. I made it up the switchbacks going forward. Using the grill guard as a pivot point to get the front around corners along with the rear lsd. You can definately do some wheeling in a bigger truck but expect to do a lot more looking and trying the angles. Always take a few straps come along and a jack. That was a fun trip but I wouldn't even consider taking my superduty there. I could only imagine the body damage I'd end up with

Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
The "trails" that the truck will see, I am real familiar with, and shouldn't cause too many problems even with the bigger truck. A lot of them are just forest roads. I always have recovery gear with me, and also don't tend to go alone.

I will definitely have 35's at least. Likely Cooper STT's or something similar. I didn't think you could do 37's with just a leveling kit? Without trimming, that is.

For serious wheeling, I hope to have a Bronco again sooner rather than later. But for a while, one vehicle will have to do.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First thing first, if going gasser I would stick with the 3v v-10. I've had the 5.4 and the v-10 blows it away. However, the 5.4 sounds soooooo much better with an exhaust system than the 6.8 I have my 6.8 paired up with a 4.10 LS dif. Mileage, FORGET ABOUT IT! your not in it for that, your a truck guy. The factory trailer brake controller is a must. Best trailer brake controller I've ever owned.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
I agree that the 5.4 does sound great, as does any V8 with an aftermarket exhaust. The V10 just always sounds too much like an inline 6 to me, which is why mine will likely always have the stock, quiet exhaust. Also, since I don't drive mine daily anymore (gas is $4.59 here for 87) I find I really don't get all spun up about MPG's and just enjoy the V10 Super Duty for what it is, a comfy, fun to drive truck that puts a smile on my face when I stab the throttle. It is what it is, and you either like it or you don't.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts
Damn Jim thats how I feel about my truck. Well said.

Jthorngate, get the newest truck you can afford. This solves alot of problems IMO. That's what I did, and couldn't be happier. I couldve gotten a diesel truck but it wouldve meant an older truck to stay within budget. Since I didnt currently need the extra power, I was able to get a newer truck. I can alway upgrade to the newer diesel if/when my situation changes.
Even if the newer truck had more miles on the clock I'd stick with the newer.

From my experience the Ford 5.4 and 6.8 motors are very reliable. Granted I've only had my 6.8 a year.

Good luck with your desicion. It is fun truck shopping for sure.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
I actually like the sound of my inline six as I have it. I like it because it doesn't sound like every chevy driving around with a flowmaster on it. Anyway...

So Jason, you're saying try to get into an 08+ if possible? There are a few I have come across that are toward the top of my price range, but have had a few more miles. I think the most recent one(had a v10), had about 114k on the clock. You're saying I shouldn't be "scared" away by that and moved toward a truck a few years older that may have a few less miles(i've seen around 70-80k or so on 03-06's)?

Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by jthorngate3
So Jason, you're saying try to get into an 08+ if possible? There are a few I have come across that are toward the top of my price range, but have had a few more miles. I think the most recent one(had a v10), had about 114k on the clock. You're saying I shouldn't be "scared" away by that and moved toward a truck a few years older that may have a few less miles(i've seen around 70-80k or so on 03-06's)?
Can't speak for Jason, but other than cosmetic and interior, I don't think there were any major changes w/ the 2008 - so functionality wise, a 2005 would be just as good. Same engines and transmissions. If you want the 3v engine w/ better transmission and coil springs you're looking at 2005 minimum. You're a wheeler, so it probably goes without saying to look for one w/ a manual transfer case.

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's/This or That: Opinions