1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F100 Build Thread "A Family Affair"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by qmanconfused
hey schuyler and fam....

good looking truck and i, too, am starting a 54 f-100. ROOM to work is such a big consideration, i can't overstate that. nothing worse that tripping over crap, very frustrating....i have such a great luxury, a 100'pole barn with one bay open on the end, for welding and small painting jobs. oh, and a new 200 amp service. BUT...

you have the best thing of all, your brother and dad.....i'm so jealous, that would be the best thing i could imagine. its great to start with them in tow.

don't apologize for dreaming...and don't stop

quentin in syracuse
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm starting a new job at the beginning of the year, so hopefully I can pump a little more money into the project and keep it going.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Kazoo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enjoy the time with your dad and brother. Believe me when I say it becomes too late a lot sooner than you think.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Thanks to an FTE member in the 57-60 forum, I got the rear shock mount brackets to use with my 9" rear end.

I also picked up a pair of front fenders (much better than the ones I have on it now) at a great price. I had the chance to talk to Billy a few times and it was great getting to know him...ain't that what it's all about?? I was on the way from Knoxville to Atlanta for work, so I had to shove them in the back of my accord...

Since this is the "Family Affair" build...I thought I'd share a picture of my brother and his little boy working on the disc brake swap on the '65

And last, a quick story. On Christmas day, we got a call from our friend that he got his car stuck in the mud at his grandparent's house. Me, my brother, and my sister loaded up into my brother's truck to see if we could help him get out. This is what we found.

He had grabbed a bunch of chains out of a barn next to his grandparent's house..after we got him pulled out, we went to the barn to put the chains back. Here is what we found inside...

It's been in there for years, out of the rain and full of rodents. We tried to ask his grandparents about it....same old story as always, "Guy died, his kids own the property, wouldn't even sell it for $10,000 15 years ago..." You might notice that it is a sedan body that they cut up and brought the back of the sedan forward to create a pickup. At least knowing it was a frankenstein made it a little easier to pass up...although there were a ton of great parts on it.

I thought you guys would appreciate how exciting it was to stumble across a "barn find," even if we didn't get to buy it for $300.....

Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
New Parts

Just thought I'd share a quick update. I picked up a pretty big order from Mid Fifty today at the F100 Supernationals.

I decided to get the suspension squared away, then brakes, then fit motor and transmission...

The show was nice, not too hot and it wasn't raining between about 11-2. I think there were fewer trucks than previous years...probably cause of the rain. But there was still plenty to look at!

Hopefully I'll have some progress that's actually fun to look at soon...but like always, gotta find the time. (truck is in Nashville, TN and I'm now in Atlanta...)

Old 05-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kazoo
Enjoy the time with your dad and brother. Believe me when I say it becomes too late a lot sooner than you think.
Thanks Kazoo.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
CB28424
Senior User
Great Work

Good thread man, I look forward to following your progress. I to know the pain of getting it done with life throwing curve *****. My 56 will be done one day, but it is truly a great time when you have something to clean or refine when we have the money. Keep up the good work and definitely enjoy the family experience I envy you on that for sure. Check out my build thread link in my signature I have been through most of what you are about to.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CB28424
Good thread man, I look forward to following your progress. I to know the pain of getting it done with life throwing curve *****. My 56 will be done one day, but it is truly a great time when you have something to clean or refine when we have the money. Keep up the good work and definitely enjoy the family experience I envy you on that for sure. Check out my build thread link in my signature I have been through most of what you are about to.
Hey thanks for pointing me to your build, we are kindred spirits! I hope mine comes out half as good as yours. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, I'm sure he would love the truck. About the only difference between us so far is I'm going with the reverse eyes in the rear and extended y hangers and I have the 351m (wish I had the Cleveland!). I'm sure I may have some questions for you in the future...

Thanks for the comments!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Great looking build. Looking forward to future progress! It's awesome that you can partner with your Dad/Bro/Fam. I was blessed to get to do mine the first time with my dad and grandpa. Can't trade those memories!

Peace,
Jim

Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Blue50F-1
Great looking build. Looking forward to future progress! It's awesome that you can partner with your Dad/Bro/Fam. I was blessed to get to do mine the first time with my dad and grandpa. Can't trade those memories!

Peace,
Jim
Thanks for the encouragement Jim! That's great to hear about your family build, it's a good reminder to be grateful

Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm enjoying your story - keep it coming. I tell people "It's the journey, not the destination". I don't believe it but it make a good excuse. You are making great progress. It took me 10 years to get mine running. And be sure to post a pic in https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...right-now.html once in a while.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
A little progress to report. I feel like I'm gonna get judged for working in my dad's driveway and letting everything rust...but oh well I just have a tarp thrown over it for now. My brother had to move to Arkansas for a while and is storing all of his stuff in the garage. Somehow the truck didn't have priority!

Me and my brother installed the front springs, including the new bushings, a few weeks ago. Today, my dad and I took off the old upper shock mounts and also got the axle taken apart so I can send it to Sid for the 3" drop! We were lucky and the king pins came out pretty easily. We just turned the axle upside down on the frame rails and beat on them a little...ok a lot.

Also, I bought the cpp booster/master combo a couple weeks ago. Even though we're not ready, free shipping got me. I am going to get the speedway disc brake kit when they offer $7 shipping again like they do a couple times a year.

Inch by inch we're gettin there. It was a fun day outside in nice weather with my dad.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, thanks for the update! Any progress is good progress, and it looks like you made some really good progress there!

Old 11-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Blue50F-1
Hey, thanks for the update! Any progress is good progress, and it looks like you made some really good progress there!
Thanks! It does feel good to do something substantial...I sent my axle to Sid today and paid him for the new one. He said he had one left in stock so it will hopefully be a quick turnaround

Old 11-04-2013, 03:54 PM
capelo
Elder User
great project, I'll be waiting for your progress, good luck, I see in my startup project

Old 11-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by capelo
great project, I'll be waiting for your progress, good luck, I see in my startup project
Thanks Capelo, I always enjoy your updates as well!

Quick Reply: 1956 F100 Build Thread "A Family Affair"