Print Wikipost

Embarrassing discovery about rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 AM
JimPat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Embarrassing discovery about rear sway bar

Guys - in my quest to "cure the wander" I think I got it pretty well beat down, (springs/shocks/rotors/new front sway-bar connecting links/positive camber/red-top steering). Been thinking of upgrading the rear anti-sway bar for towing our TT this summer and was doing some research. Crawled up under the rig and started looking around and - here's the embarrassing part - there is NO rear anti-sway bar. Like an idiot, I assumed as it was a 2004 it had one so I never really thought about it as I was doing other projects under the beast. Never jumped into my mind 'cause it didn't exist. Was going to measure the diamter of the current bar and it simply wasn't there!!

I have a 2004, Limited V-10. What year did they start putting sway bars in the rear?? As this doesn't have one, need I drill anything to put one in??

Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know they didn't put sway bars on all Excursions after a certain point. My 2000 doesn't have one and I have never had the desire for one, especially after switching to stiffer V codes with an add-a-leaf in the front. Body roll is very minimal.

I assume the holes for the sway bar are already on the frame, but I'm sure someone will chime in to confirm.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
@Skinsfan
The sway bar doesn't make the ride and harder/harsher. Just stops the body roll in corners and crosswinds

I really suggest you grab one. It's amazing the night/day difference in a vehicle. Even upgrading one contains huge benefits. Take my puddly 3,400 lbs 09 Mustang. I put a GT500 bar in there and the whole car was a different animal in corners. And that thing sat 5" of the ground and had about 2" of wheel flex.

Sorry for thread hijack.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
They didn't start putting the sway bars on the X's untill 2004 and it may have been with the tow package add-on.

1. If you already have a sway bar (which you don't), its easy to get one from the dealer for about $100. It is the 30mm sway bar from an F350.

2. Since you don't have one it may be easier to just buy the aftermarket Hellwig bar as it comes with everything you need.

3. You can try and get all the parts from a junk yard but that would include the axle mounting bracket (which most junk yards didn't want to sell me), the sway bar and the end links. From what I have read the F350 end links are too long and you will still need to pickup some Excursion rear end links.

I tried to get parts from the junk yard but couldn't gather them in time so I gave up and got the Hellwig.

Tim M

Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 AM
JimPat
Senior User
Tim - that is what is so weird. Your understanding mirrors mine. I have a 2004 Limited which - I believe - includes the tow package; yet no rear anti-sway bar.

You are spot-on as I was just going to order the 350 bar from Ford and upgrade. But now I'll have to order the whole shee-bang (technical term).

So as far as anybody knows, I don't need a torch, welder, or "plasma gun in the 40 mega-watt range"??

Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
With the Hellwig its all bolt on and no special tools. I put mine in last week without any issues. When I was done I told my wife "man that was pretty painless".
I got more upset replacing the grease cartridge in my grease gun. Man I had grease everywhere .

Tim M

Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tylus
@Skinsfan
The sway bar doesn't make the ride and harder/harsher. Just stops the body roll in corners and crosswinds

I really suggest you grab one. It's amazing the night/day difference in a vehicle. Even upgrading one contains huge benefits. Take my puddly 3,400 lbs 09 Mustang. I put a GT500 bar in there and the whole car was a different animal in corners. And that thing sat 5" of the ground and had about 2" of wheel flex.
Oh I know what a sway bar does. I was saying that with my stiffer springs body roll is very minimal with just my front sway bar, so I have had no desire to add one in the rear. I'll also add that I'm used to lifted trucks (4" on my F150, 7" on my 87 4Runner, 6" on my 85), so a high center of gravity is normal to me and I've played with running a sway bar vs. no sway bar on my 87 4Runner. The flex is better, but that thing is a sailboat without the sway bar. My F150 also has considerable body roll (soft aftermarket springs and no sway bar). So my Ex, to me, with the stiff add-a-leaved V codes, handles very well. I WILL keep in mind your recommendation for my 06 Mustang though. I don't know anything about your Mustang, but 285s on 10 inch wide wheels in the rear help with cornering stability too.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
fatherdano
Senior User
would i notice a difference in handling or ride if i added a helwig, and did zero towing?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fatherdano
would i notice a difference in handling or ride if i added a helwig, and did zero towing?
You will notice a difference in handling on turns and curves. Not so much on the ride.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:51 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Go with the Hellwig, I did on my 05 Excursion. It made a world of difference in cornering with out the trailer and while towing a 20 foot enclosed car hauler. It helped greatly with the cross winds.

-Mark

Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Go with the Helwig.....You also need to replace the front sway bushings and end links with polyurethane.....use super duty truck.....for the end links they are the same......but you need bar links for Excursion...they are larger than super duty

Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I cannot speak for any other year with authority, but I have the 2004 dealer brochure. According to this brochure, the only way to get the "rear stabilizer bar" was to have a 4x4 equipped with the 4x4 trailer tow group, which was optional on all trim levels. It is not listed as a separate option nor is it listed as included with any other model or trim package. This is NOT the same as the "heavy duty trailer tow package," which was included on EVERY excursion in 2004, according to the brochure, and that included the trailer plug, hitch, and trailer brake wiring. The 4x4 trailer tow group included the rear sway bar and the larger tow mirrors with marker lights and blind spot mirrors.

And, again, according to the brochure, that was the only way to get those mirrors on a 4x4. The rear sway bar is not listed as an option for the 4x2 nor is it included in any package. The mirrors are available as a stand alone option on the 4x2 but not on the 4x4. So, according to this brochure for the 2004 model year, if its not a 4x4 with tow mirrors, it doesn't have a sway bar.

My bet is someone will chime in within 15 minutes and tell me I'm dead wrong and theirs came with a sway bar... who knows.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
One thing about the Hellwig kit is that the links are total crap. My guy fabbed up some seriously strong over-sized end links for me.

I was shocked at how crappy the Hellwig end links were. They were also much too short for my truck with the lift... but I just can't understand how they make this thick huge sway bar and then put these dinky little links on there. The OEM end links are way better... but they aren't compatible with the Hellwig bar.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
I cannot speak for any other year with authority, but I have the 2004 dealer brochure. According to this brochure, the only way to get the "rear stabilizer bar" was to have a 4x4 equipped with the 4x4 trailer tow group, which was optional on all trim levels. It is not listed as a separate option nor is it listed as included with any other model or trim package. This is NOT the same as the "heavy duty trailer tow package," which was included on EVERY excursion in 2004, according to the brochure, and that included the trailer plug, hitch, and trailer brake wiring. The 4x4 trailer tow group included the rear sway bar and the larger tow mirrors with marker lights and blind spot mirrors.

And, again, according to the brochure, that was the only way to get those mirrors on a 4x4. The rear sway bar is not listed as an option for the 4x2 nor is it included in any package. The mirrors are available as a stand alone option on the 4x2 but not on the 4x4. So, according to this brochure for the 2004 model year, if its not a 4x4 with tow mirrors, it doesn't have a sway bar.

My bet is someone will chime in within 15 minutes and tell me I'm dead wrong and theirs came with a sway bar... who knows.
Sounds correct to me, I remember reading the same thing.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 AM
JimPat
Senior User
Hasta - sounds like it makes sense to me. I appreciate the feedback. I'll let you know how this all turns out. I ordered the Hellwig package and will install as soon as it hits. I'll see if I can take some pictures as well. Thanks guys!! Jim

Quick Reply: Embarrassing discovery about rear sway bar