1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 f1 front fender height

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM
train2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48 f1 front fender height

Hi I need your help.my front fenders measure different heights 27 1/4. Drivers side 29 passenger side fiberglass fenders measured from level ground to opening of fender.spring height is the same both sides the truck sits low in front to drivers side It has always been this way changed cab mounts came up a little.noticed suspension arm drivers side needs replacing.Is there any way to adjust front end to level fender height in front any input would be great thanks

Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Measure to a solid frame point on each side. Try the front spring, rear mount or similar point on each side of the frame. Do the same at the rear. I am sure you've checked tire pressure and have like tires both sides.
Springs can be re-arched to level the truck.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
how does it look were the bottom of the fender meet the running boards?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
There's at least a dozen different things that could cause a difference in fender height. Before we can tell you how to fix it, we need to isolate the problem so we know what we're dealing with. Where exactly are you taking your measurement from? Are these the fenders that have always been on the truck since you've had it? Is the bumper level? Is the frame level? How's the gap between the top of the frame rails and the lower grille valance? Does the radiator stand up perfectly straight, or is it crooked, even a little bit? How's the springs? Are the arches the same? How about the shackle angles? Bushings? These are all places to start looking for problems.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM
train2
Junior User
Thanks tires are the same air pressure 32 all around fenders came with truck always leaned to drivers side.valance is 1/8 inch difference on passenger side.springs have been rearched and checked measured with straight edge level floor to top of spring 1/4 difference higher passenger side.Sam's amount of springs both sides.bottom of fender to running board 1/8 difference on passenger side.I measured the door handle heights exactly 1 inch lower on drivers side.front bumper 1/8 high on passenger side also I noticed wheel well openings are off against tire. Measured with tires straight passenger side back of wheelwell 1and 1/2 wide drivers side 2 and 3/4 wide also I measured axle 1 inch difference on drivers side to backing plates the truck steers fine why would the axle not be centered.Measured truck on ground to center of front wheels same measurements both sides its when I measure above the center of wheels to center of fendar openings that I get a 1 inch difference.I have noticed the passenger side tires on the inside when turned all the way to the right rubs on the inside sheetmetal.I measured this side from backing plate in and it sticks out 1 inch more than drivers side.Thanks for your advice and hope we can get to the bottom of this.Have a great day!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the problem is not in your fenders. It's in your frame and/or suspension. Once you figure out exactly where the problem is, that'll fix the leaning issue. Keep measuring. You're on the right track. If necessary, find a good alignment shop or big truck frame shop and have them help you. It could just be a matter of adjusting your frame for straightness. It only sounds scary, if it's necessary, it's not a big deal at all. Having a twist or diamond in the frame is quite common for the design. With the right equipment, it's an easy fix.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I would suggest you take out some Jack Stands (on all 4 corners at the same time) and use them to support the frame. As you measure you have issolated the suspension and tires out of the problem. If everything is within a 1/2" (side to side) I would move the front jack stands under the front axle measure again note your measurements (including to the frame rails). While you have it like this check your king pins (a bad one can give you some drop and everything adds up). Move the front stands back under the frame and move the rear under the rear axle. start measuring again. This should tell you where you have issues to look at...

Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, something's not right with the frame and/or suspension. Front axle moved over to compensate for a bent frame...??? Use the jack stand approach, on level ground, to see if you can find a difference. Also, inspect your frame for any bends, cracks or prior repairs.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 AM
train2
Junior User
Thanks for all your input the jackstand theory sounds great.This is why I posted this you guys are great.I had a feeling that the axle was off maybe the truck got hit in the 50's and has been compensated ever since.The axle is an issue there are no adjustments to slide from side to side u bolts are fine no movements anywhere but it is moved over 1 in.out on passenger side I don't think ford offset these axles maybe someone knows if they did.I willtry everything you guys said with measurements and then find a good truck shop but why doesn't the truck pull to one side I let go of the wheel it steers straight,, can the axle be reshifted back to center? Thank you again for all of your suggestions have a great day

Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Be mindful too, that any bad measurements you find at the frame will be amplified at the fender, another eighteen inches or so out. Measurement at the frame low side will read lower at the low side fender and higher at the high side fender.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM
train2
Junior User
Thanks makes sense how would I know what side is the right height to start measurements.?The drivers side looks normal but passenger side looks raised.The drivers side cab suspension arm bushings are shot part of rear of cab 1/2 in lower than passenger Side I have new arms coming will install Saturday but this really should not affect the.fender issue on passenger side because cab is seperate from fenders? Thanks for your reply, are there stock frame measurements to go by and compare numbers? Have a great day

Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Chances are neither side is correct, so look for things that are different from side to side, and for things that just don't seem right. The axles were not offset. The track should be straight and true. Springs should be the same. The frame should be straight and symmetrical. If you take cross measurements from various points, the numbers should be the same. Any variance more than 1/8-1/4" indicates a problem.

While it's not a bad thing to replace cab mounts, especially if they are excessively worn, that's not going to be the root of your problem, as you've described. Don't expect miracles there. Your problem is in your frame and/or suspension. It's like a house with a bad foundation. If the doors stick and the windows won't open, it's not because the roof is saggy. Once you fully take a grasp on that, the rest will fall into place and it'll be easier for you to see the true situation.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM
train2
Junior User
Thanks the reason I am changing mounts is to have a starting point to work out from.I understand this is not the issue, but having the cab taken care of fixes other issues. The axle is a real problem being offset and the frame the same type of issue with fender being off, thanks for your input, Steve