Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
Bug KILLER !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, making the trip at night down to College Station before heading thru Houston to lunch with Torreador Diesel and on to Lafayette, La made for a much shorter drive the next day, BUT

A gazilion bugs are now on the front of our new truck and 5th wheel....

The truck went through the car wash and so it's good,
but what do I do for the 5th wheel ?

I am past when I want to do it myself but will if I have to
Sooooo...do I:
Pay the highway robbery to have it washed at the dealer?
find a truck wash and see how much they charge ?
get some steel wool and sandpaper ?!?
or simple green, or ?~?

open to suggestions as I tried my little wash brush and it didn't dent the bugs...

then once cleaned, how do I make it easier the next time ?
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Triple wax it!

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
power washer and stay away from the windows. Lower pressure nozzles.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
Guess best advice is not drive at night
I could SEE the butterflies, etc, dive bombing us !!!

Hmmm, think there is a high coin operated car wash close...
or should I just buy a power washer ?

Would a 1500 psi be the right size or ????

What about the vinyl decals - assume be careful with them
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I have power washed mine a few times. mine is 2600 psi with the max nozzle. So I guess with my other nozzle it is about 1500 psi.

I have not had any problems.

I have a soap setting to spray that on the 5er then I have a long handle soft brush as well I can stand there and run it up and down on the really hard spots then spray.

Has worked well on those 2-3K bug runs.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Just wet the dryer sheets you use in your clothes dryer and wipe em over the front when you wash it and the bugs will come right off. Works on cars, trucks, anything, even when the power washer doesn't!

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Neat hint!!!! Thanks Steve!

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Post Fiend

Atta Boy !!!

Now I just need a 20 foot by 20 foot dryer sheet and I got it made

Will give it a try !

and had heard that a long time ago, but forgot about it !!!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr View Post
Atta Boy !!!

Now I just need a 20 foot by 20 foot dryer sheet and I got it made

Will give it a try !

and had heard that a long time ago, but forgot about it !!!
So you don't have a dryer in that little fiver you are towing? Just put it in the bed of your truck!

Steve
Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Post Fiend

No washer dryer by choice and good thing since certainly you understand that it turns out that the washer/Dryer closet is the only space left for MY hanging clothes

Thanks
Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Posting Guru

scraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
Just wet the dryer sheets you use in your clothes dryer and wipe em over the front when you wash it and the bugs will come right off. Works on cars, trucks, anything, even when the power washer doesn't!

Steve
Thumbs up, bugs came right off using the wet sheets.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprat View Post
Thumbs up, bugs came right off using the wet sheets.
You doubted me? I'm crushed!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Elder User

LibTimothy is a splendid one to beholdLibTimothy is a splendid one to beholdLibTimothy is a splendid one to beholdLibTimothy is a splendid one to beholdLibTimothy is a splendid one to beholdLibTimothy is a splendid one to beholdLibTimothy is a splendid one to behold
I just bought a box of dryer sheets just to clean my RV. I hope i get time to try this before my next trip.

Will the cheap sheets work?

Timothy

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.

When the only tool in your toolbox is dynamite, you start looking for excuses to solve problems.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibTimothy View Post
I just bought a box of dryer sheets just to clean my RV. I hope i get time to try this before my next trip.

Will the cheap sheets work?

Timothy
I'm not sure brand makes a difference. I just steal whatever my wife has in the laundry room, use em, then sneak the rest back. Sometimes I forget and she finds them in the garage.

Steve
Old 05-13-2012, 09:54 PM

rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.
First I never power wash the front or any other part of our trailer it's just to hard on the decals. I always keep a good wax job or in my case a polish job (I use Nu-Finish polish). When I get a load of bugs I rehydrate them with water or a light solution of water and Dawn soap, I reapply ever 15 minutes and use a brush to clean them off, if it's really bad I use Simple Green and a sponge and polish the front because the Simple Green will remove any wax or polish. The longer you leave them on the harder they come off and some of the little buggers will damage the finish.

Denny
Retired 2000 F350 Lariat SC DRW V10 4.30 Gears BrakeSmart
Air Lifts 4X2
http://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html
Old 05-13-2012, 09:54 PM