Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another build thread on an old p/up

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Towmanjbo
I'm not positive on the year (I think it was a '96) but it's from a chebby 6.5l. I was going to remove the wastegate control and fab my own with a calibrated spring. Like this on Turbo Bricklayer's truck:

It's crude but it works, after I get it working I may refine it to a different setup we'll see. I think I'm only going to plan on 8~10 psi max and start with less than 5 just to get my feet wet until I can pull the motor and rebuild it next summer.

That's right, I did read that in the 94-97 7.3 threads as many of those guys use it on the early powerstrokes. Thanks for the reminder I also plan on doing the c00nhunter tranny mod to the E4OD.
Modding the radiator support will be a little different on a gasser than on our diesels, but it'll still work.. I've already done the measurements.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Another weekend with not a lot done, oh well I needed the rest so it's okay.

I connected the oil feed line it's a -4 AN

When I took the radiator out, the trans fluid seemed a bit dark. I guess this is really a good time to change it

Isn't it supposed to be red? LOL
Look at the magnet! It looks fuzzy

Got the muffler from FedEx

Old 06-17-2012, 05:43 PM
lilmatt119
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome build! I have a question regarding the oil feed/return lines for the turbo. You ported the oil pan for them, correct? Is there any specific place to do this, or does it matter? Also, for the line, can you make like a t-joint and run both lines to one port, or do you have to make separate ports?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

They do have to be separate the feed is under pressure, I connected to the port in the block where the oil pressure sensor is. That is the T in the pictures above (by the dip stick). The return is just gravity and no it shouldn't matter where in the pan you put it as long as it's above the "full" level, so that the turbo properly drains.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:46 PM
lilmatt119
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, awesome. My truck's a 300 also, and i'm planning a turbo as well. Oil lines had been one of the things still boggling me lol. Thanks!!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lovin' it!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
That's one long azz oil feed line. LOL If you keep plugging away at it like this, you'll be done before you know it. What did you have in mind for a fuel system and injectors?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

I haven't bought any parts yet but probably going with the 19lbs with maybe an extra injector in the intake, post intercooler. I have a Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback computer SMT6 | Products | Perfect Power (similar to Megasquirt). Turbobricklayer used a Fuel Management Unit | Vortech Superchargers to maintain pressure so I was looking at that

Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I haven't bought any parts yet but probably going with the 19lbs with maybe an extra injector in the intake, post intercooler. I have a Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback computer SMT6 | Products | Perfect Power (similar to Megasquirt). Turbobricklayer used a Fuel Management Unit | Vortech Superchargers to maintain pressure so I was looking at that
Right on. I was just wondering. So what kind of power do y'all look for out of these 300's with this turbo? Maybe 300hp @ 8-10psi?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Probably closer to 225hp and 400ft-lbs or at least that's what Turbo300six was getting on his '89.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:38 PM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
I love build threads. Very cool stuff. My dad has an '87 bronco with a I-300/4-spd and even stock that sucker is no slouch. I'd love to get my paws on it and add a few power goodies to it, probably not a turbo though.

I'm looking at swapping my F250 for something smaller and in worse shape so I'll have some money to pay some bills, so I may have a new project soon. Seen quite a few F150's with 300's...

Old 07-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Haven't had time to make any progress but pool water rush is past now and I took vacation time next week. So I hope to be able to drive it by the end of next week, we'll see

Old 07-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
and let the bug-working-out process begin!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

I've been working on it the past couple of days, Monday was basically a wash doing parts running. I did the c00nhunter tranny mod and put a new pan on since I had to remove it to take the accumulator body out, and the new one was cheap and now it has a drain.

I also worked on the exhaust, part of Mondays' part running was getting some bushings so I could attach the oil drain flange to the turbo. I had gotten this kit http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...e628559f0e5349 The aluminum flanges mounting holes are large for the bolts that it comes with so I got a pair of sleeve bearings to eliminate the slack. Getting those were a pain in the neck but, I got it done. So now with the turbo bolted in and the down pipe in place I could finish fabricating the exhaust.
I got this tail pipe section from Amazon. It's 3" and mandrel bent for $53 shipped!! Here I have it zip tied in place for a guide.

Here is the down pipe installed looking up

Turning the camera to the back, you can see the muffler

From the muffler a section of straight pipe to the mandrel bent piece

From the back

It seems low but that maybe because there is no bumper and it's been a long time since the exhaust came this far back. So I may alter it, but for now that's how it'll stay.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I've been working on it the past couple of days, Monday was basically a wash doing parts running. I did the c00nhunter tranny mod and put a new pan on since I had to remove it to take the accumulator body out, and the new one was cheap and now it has a drain.

I also worked on the exhaust, part of Mondays' part running was getting some bushings so I could attach the oil drain flange to the turbo. I had gotten this kit http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...e628559f0e5349 The aluminum flanges mounting holes are large for the bolts that it comes with so I got a pair of sleeve bearings to eliminate the slack. Getting those were a pain in the neck but, I got it done. So now with the turbo bolted in and the down pipe in place I could finish fabricating the exhaust.
I got this tail pipe section from Amazon. It's 3" and mandrel bent for $53 shipped!! Here I have it zip tied in place for a guide.

Here is the down pipe installed looking up

Turning the camera to the back, you can see the muffler

From the muffler a section of straight pipe to the mandrel bent piece

From the back

It seems low but that maybe because there is no bumper and it's been a long time since the exhaust came this far back. So I may alter it, but for now that's how it'll stay.
Even for not having a bumper, the exhaust is too low. it needs to come up what looks like around 5" or so. The rest of the exhaust looks great! When do you think your going to have it up and running?

Quick Reply: Just another build thread on an old p/up