1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Trouble filling gas tank ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 09:46 AM
KR1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trouble filling gas tank ??

I have tried different pumps, different grades of gas, different stations, Etc.... But I am still having trouble filling the gas tank my 2000 Exp.....

The pump shuts off (fill till full feature of the gas pump) at about 12 gallons and will not fill any more and requires constant attention and about 5 more minutes to completly fill the gas tank.......

I know that the pumps will auto-shut off when xxxx amount of gas vapor comes out, but no matter how i hold the handle
, it take 5 minutes to fill tank......

any ideas

Old 05-02-2003, 11:00 AM
tw
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried turning the pump handle upside down when filling? Thats what i have to do on my 98.

Tony Warren
Nebraska

Old 05-02-2003, 11:38 AM
KR1
Senior User

IT just started 2 months ago, maybe its the warm weather.

Old 05-02-2003, 01:22 PM
TCExp
Senior User

I have more trouble at certain pumps (I now avoid those), turning the handle 45 degrees seemed to help.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:04 PM
2000Expy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't jam the nozzle all the way in.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:13 PM
TCExp
Senior User

On fast pumps it locks out sooner if the nozzle isn't completely seated, but each has its own personality.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:13 PM
KR1
Senior User

tried that, all the way in, all but 1 inch out, Etc. will have to try the inverted handle method.....

Old 05-05-2003, 11:22 AM
white99
Senior User

our 2001 clicks the pump handle off at half a tank. then we restart and finish the fill up This does not bother me so much but it drives my wife crazy. she wants to know why and I don't have an answer for her.
jimP

Old 05-06-2003, 11:19 AM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru

I believe it is the vent tube that extended down into the tank. My F250 does the same thing.

It can be fixed if you are willing to drop the tank and trim the tube. While it does bother me, it is not enough that I am willing to do it.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:04 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our '99 keeps tripping the fill lever no matter how you position the nozzle - fast or slow filling - left or right - full in, barely in or anywhere in between. (Haven't tried the upside down trick mentioned above)

I don't recall this happening when the truck was newer, only in the last year. I'm wondering if there is a air purge valve or similar device that is not operating properly.

Last edited by aerocolorado; 05-06-2003 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:32 PM
tekprod
New User

Here for your consideration is a technique that I use for not only filling, but "topping off" all the way up to about 30.6 U.S gallons, from almost bone empty on my '00 Expedition:

One disclaimer: If you live in a locale where the "vapor recovery" sleeve is not in place on your pumps, it gets easier...but you have to be nimble.

Put the nozzle into the tank and fill 'er up as far as she'll go without assistance. For my tank, I use the lowest click on the "auto-fill" portion of the nozzle, when I have some extra time...cause it takes longer. When the pump nozzle "clicks" off, usually at about 24-26 gallons, depending upon which station you are at, (some have more sensitive sensors), I take out the nozzle for a moment and let it air out. At that time, I physically push on the very tail of the vehicle and give it a side to side strong nudge...almost rythmically...side to side, side to side.

When you jog the vehicle, it does two things. First, it sets up the chambers inside the tank to more FULLY accept the fuel, as would normally happen during operation. These are the same chambers that "hold" the fuel, and allow operation on a near empty tank when going up a steep incline or around a turn. Second, you're releasing some of the buildup of the fumes inside from your fill-up...call it a "burp", if you will.

Now, the tricky part. Put the nozzle back into the fill tube, MOST of the way in. While you're doing that with your right hand, hold the "vapor recovery" sleeve back with your left hand, so that it does not touch the mouth of the fill tube on the vehicle. This procedure allows the nozzle "overfill" sensors and vapor sensors to deal with the exponentially increasing fumes as you reach the top of the tank. "Click". Time for another jog. Pull out the nozzle, until just inside the vertical "door" that keeps the gas in, and pull back the sleave again while filling. Soon enough you'll be near the top.

As with any "contrary to the directions" procedure, be careful until you get the hang of it. This can be dangerous, and, of course, never with the engine running. For me, I can get it all in, up to the top, most every time. The hotter your surrounding ambient temp, its not wise to "top off" to the very tippy top, unless your traveling right away.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:15 AM
nonamenoname88
Freshman User

One of the saftey things with this truck is they put the tank on the inside of the frame. The vent line and fill line runs down and up to the tank. You most likely have gas in the vent line. This happens if you over fill the tank or get the gas moving in the tank. I would try moving the vent line to see if this helps.

Old 05-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Forrest Nearing
Senior User

rocking the truck back and forth isn't much more than a rain dance... there aren't any chambers in there... just a baffle under the pump to make sure it gets fuel as the tank gets low... but it doesn't do much of anything when the tank is 1/4 full or better... once you've got 25gal in there, that baffle is submerged under 4-5" of gasoline!

I think you'll find that if you just pull back on the vapor recovery sleve from the get go, the thing will never click on ya...

I pulled the little anti-siphon tab out of my filler neck, and I can just set the nozzle in there so that the vapor recovery sleve on most pumps is non-functional, and I don't have to stand there and pump. I can hop back in the car or wash the windows or whatever...

Forrest

Old 05-27-2003, 08:22 PM
freeofear
New User

I have to say. You are all funny. I haven't seen an expy yet that doesn't like gas ...Ha Ha

Old 06-20-2003, 09:43 AM
KR1
Senior User
Talking Trouble filling gas tank ??

Problem solved..

Separated the vent tube from the gas tank (rubber fuel line at tank), blaster compressed air to clean out the tube....

No more problems, tanks fills all the way and wife is happy... ....must have been some crap stuck in vent tube....

Thanks for all the help, FTE is awesome

Quick Reply: Trouble filling gas tank ??