1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

truck just died.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck just died.

I changed my oil and fuel filters on my efuel today. Parked the truck om the street so I could move the other cars back In the drive way and now won't start. I replaced thr cpson thursday when it went out.

I'm getting wts light. Tac is moving at 200 and bucking. I'm gettimg smoke out of thr tail pipe too.

What can I check ? I have to drive down to WV to go back to school tomorrow afternoon.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You fill the filters with fuel?

Old 01-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
Originally Posted by tshrager
You fill the filters with fuel?
Yeah I filled both of them like half way up. I checked my water seperater filter its full.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
I would check them both and fuel psi while cranking. It's easy and something to cross off the list. I'm also assuming your CPS came from Ford?

Old 01-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
I would check them both and fuel psi while cranking. It's easy and something to cross off the list. I'm also assuming your CPS came from Ford?
They both have fuel in them so that's good. I'm not to sure my gauge works properly. But the cps is from ford I do have another I could try if you think it could be that?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leemakesmepee
They both have fuel in them so that's good. I'm not to sure my gauge works properly. But the cps is from ford I do have another I could try if you think it could be that?
Get a gauge on there you can trust.

I had some serious HUA a few weeks ago and ran out of fuel. The way I got it started was cracking open the fuel/water separator and bleeding off pressure until my gauge said 0, then I pulled the secondary filter down and topped it off, then I removed the normal hot wire from the pump and ran another straight from the + post on the pump to the battery and primed it just like my initial install. Wired it back up like normal and it fired right up.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
Originally Posted by redman84
Get a gauge on there you can trust.

I had some serious HUA a few weeks ago and ran out of fuel. The way I got it started was cracking open the fuel/water separator and bleeding off pressure until my gauge said 0, then I pulled the secondary filter down and topped it off, then I removed the normal hot wire from the pump and ran another straight from the + post on the pump to the battery and primed it just like my initial install. Wired it back up like normal and it fired right up.
I'm gonna check the pressure tomorrow morning. What is the needed psi for it to run?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I agree with Jacob, half full on the filters is not enough. You have to fill them completely up.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I agree with Jacob, half full on the filters is not enough. You have to fill them completely up.
Didn't i say this? Lol.

Lee, these e fuel kits can be a real PITA when air is introduced in the system. You can jump the relay on my setup to run the pump. Helps prime the system.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:42 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Didn't i say this? Lol.

Lee, these e fuel kits can be a real PITA when air is introduced in the system. You can jump the relay on my setup to run the pump. Helps prime the system.
Going back and reading it, I have to say under great pressure from the forum, YOU DID SAY IT!!! My apologies to you my man! lol

Old 01-20-2014, 12:30 AM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
Didn't i say this? Lol.

My set up runs off of an oil pressure switch. I'm gonna hook a wire from my battery to the pos of the pump and hear if its kicking on and see if I can prime the filters that way too.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
My set up runs off of an oil pressure switch. I'm gonna hook a wire from my battery to the pos of the pump and hear if its kicking on and see if I can prime the filters that way too.
I have an oil psi switch as well. Do you know the pin out of the pump relay? If it's the same as mine, but 12volts to #87 and it will kick the pump on.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
Well i primed both the filters and used a wire to turn the pump on and i hooked up a gauge. i had it running drove it down the street then it cut out. i used a wire again thinking that it needed to be primed again when i saw my pos+ wire on the pump kind of ripped. I fixed it and then it all worked out fine. Thanks guys for the info though!

Is there a way maybe i could wire up a switch to manual turn the pump on when i change filters for next time?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...Is there a way maybe i could wire up a switch to manual turn the pump on when i change filters for next time?
I suppose you could. When I change mine I put a vice grip upstream and downstream of the whole setup on the fuel hose and clamp it off. Then I drain the fuel water separator into the new fuel water separator with a funnel in top of the new one. When it stops draining I pull the old one and pour the rest into the new, lube the gasket, and install the new one. Same process with the secondary filter except it is no longer pressurized so just take it down and pour it into the new one, install, remove vice grips, crank it up, runs good, finish my beer, and chill .

Somebody on here showed me these
Craftsman Hose Clamp Plier Set - Amazon.com Craftsman Hose Clamp Plier Set - Amazon.com
years ago and I still haven't bought them. I should really get around to doing that.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
Originally Posted by redman84
I suppose you could. When I change mine I put a vice grip upstream and downstream of the whole setup on the fuel hose and clamp it off. Then I drain the fuel water separator into the new fuel water separator with a funnel in top of the new one. When it stops draining I pull the old one and pour the rest into the new, lube the gasket, and install the new one. Same process with the secondary filter except it is no longer pressurized so just take it down and pour it into the new one, install, remove vice grips, crank it up, runs good, finish my beer, and chill .
hmmmm. I see that seems like a way easier way of doing it. Its my first filter change with my cool guy efuel set up. so i dropped the secoundary filter i dropped it and out poured some $$$ i was both mad at that and being covered in diesel.... Lol

Quick Reply: truck just died.