1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

My Build Thread, or why didn't I crush it while it was on the trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 PM
nitro_rat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Build Thread, or why didn't I crush it while it was on the trailer?

I just picked up this steaming turd last week for the princely sum of 300 bucks. I probably wouldn't have bought it, but I was buzzin' pretty good when I found it, negotiated for delivery to be included, and I don't have a decent looking truck right now. I guess this may not be a step in the right direction, but like I said, I was buzzin' pretty good when I found it!

This whole thing started when I rode over to this guy's house with my brother-in-law. They work together on the rig, but I had never actually met Jim myself. I was drinking adult beverages and riding, and I felt pretty good by the time we got over there. We were shootin' the **** in the garage and enjoying more adult beverages when this guy asks me if I want to buy a truck. I said no, but I'd look at it anyways. He said it was an '88 F-150 4x4 or some such as we walked around the back.

As we rounded the corner of the barn, there it was, behind the truck he was trying to sell me. A dentside 4x4 SWB! "How much for this one?", I asked. One thing led to another, culminating in a cloud of smoke from the exhaust and a hemmorage of tranny fluid as a cooler line and front seal simultaneously failed as he drove onto the trailer.

Pics to follow!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Please tell me that there will be pictures to go along with the build thread. Besides... almost every FTE'er likes truck ****.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM
nitro_rat
Senior User
I will try to get some up tonight, along with part 2 of the saga. Stay tuned for tales of more beer, sweat, pissed off land lords and more...

Old 04-18-2012, 06:07 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by nitro_rat
I will try to get some up tonight, along with part 2 of the saga. Stay tuned for tales of more beer, sweat, pissed off land lords and more...
Cool (except the part where you Pi$$ed your landlord off).

Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 PM
nitro_rat
Senior User
If anybody reading this has or knows of a short bed in the East Texas area, shoot me a PM! Wide or narrow, as long as it's cheap!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:24 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So any guess's as to the year of the jewel you brought home?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by OldStyle
What he said...

Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Well I would guess and hope a 73-79, since he is in this forum, unless he was posting after a few more barley pops. LMAO

Subscribed to get entertained on this one, its off to a great start and the landlord must be chebby folks, so whizz on'm.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
perhaps the landlord doesn't like rusty trucks that gargle petroleum products onto the asphalt. my landlord, aka, my girlfriend, hates it.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 PM
nitro_rat
Senior User
Originally Posted by OldStyle
By the time the title paperwork is done, she'll be a '74, but she's a "Heinz 57" for sure! There's some '78-'79 parts, some '77, some '73-'74... There will be parts from 10 trucks by the time she's on the road!

I was hoping to get some pics up tonight, but my iPhone is totally incapable of copying the image addresses from photobucket! I will have to find a real computer somewhere. I'm on the road for a few more days at least.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
nitro_rat
Senior User

Here's a teaser shot of the seller hooking up a chain so we could drag it up on the trailer after the trans cooler line busted. The thing actually ran, moved, and chunked mud at me with that flat tire in 4lo!

Last edited by nitro_rat; 04-18-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Auto spell check got me!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 PM
nitro_rat
Senior User

The PO had let the whole neighborhood go at the poor girl with rattle cans! Here it sits at the house, where less than 12 hours later the land lord was threatening to haul it off by the end of the day! "That piece of **** is not spending another night here! You move it or I will!!!"

Anyway, after continued threats once I'd assured him it would be moved by 3:00 that day, I signed a lease somewhere else. Got a set of tires from the same guy I bought the truck for (33x12.50 old style Goodyear MTR's, good tread, $150), carried them to the Mexican tire shop north of town where I knew he had a nice set of old school 5-slot mags, and got the whole deal mounted up.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 PM
nitro_rat
Senior User

So here she sits on all fours! Tow strap hooked up and ready to drag her to the family compound out at the lake. The tilt steering column is totally busted and swings left and right as well as up and down! The PO thoughtfully wrapped a bungee cord around the column to the glove box opening, precluding the option of latching the glove box door. While this does somewhat mitigate the violent flopping of the steering wheel, it does not leave one with much of a feeling of "control" under many (ok, most) driving conditions. Nevertheless, the 14 mile trip was uneventful, save for some ignorant **** passing us while we were both using what seemed to be a very obvious left turn hand signal. My brother-in-law tried to hit him, but the ****er was too fast, and completed his pass in the bar ditch!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 PM
lasthighboy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
signed on. sounds entertaining. and like the beginnings of half my projects.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
May or may not be a step in the right direction.. lol

Youre one hell of a narrator at the very least, sounds like and entertaining project to watch.

Quick Reply: My Build Thread, or why didn't I crush it while it was on the trailer?