2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How problematic are the 2004 F150 5.4's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How problematic are the 2004 F150 5.4's?

I am currently in the purchasing process of a 2004 F150 S-cab 4x4. Has the 5.4 and automatic. Right around 87,xxx miles. Its at a Ford dealer for a decent price, test drove it and it runs great, only under hood noises are a light ticking coming from the 2 belt tensioners. I tested it in the usual directions, good test drive... and a little bit of heavy throttle and brake action. Everything seems perfect, its a VERY clean truck inside, outside, and underneath as well. Looks like its been very well maintained. Simply put, I want it!

Now reading here on the forums all I see are lots of major engine problems with the timing chain tensioners and other engine internals. I am a very overly paranoid person and I just need to know if these trucks are worth the risk of purchasing. I don't want to sign my soul away for 5 years of payments for the truck to randomly explode 3 months from now.

Maybe its just my pre-purchase nerves, but I wouldn't mind some input on the subject. Thank you!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Feedguy
Cross-Country
My experience with my 2004

Purchased in July of last year. Had 71890 miles.
1. After changing oil and going to a Motorcraft filter it starting getting noisy in the engine area. (I suspect dealer had heavy oil in it to maybe quiet it down?) I put the 5w20 synthetic blend as recommended. Couldn't tolerate the ticking at idle, and a noise on slow acceleration.
2. New cam phasers, new vacuum parts on the passenger side front drive. 2100 dollars for these two items. (4X4)
3. Did plugs, although not required. 500 bucks due to breaking all of them off.
This was done at 73850 miles.
4. Changed rear end lube due to shudder coming from LS differential. Added MC Limited slip fluid and royal purple lube. Cured that issue @ 73777 miles.
Current miles 78400, only current issue is probable mild warped rotor. All other systems working well, thoroughly enjoy the pickup.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
FTO_
Freshman User
2006 Engine noise

I have a Ford F150 that's making a very loud ticking/clicking noise
in the engine, especially when it's cold when you start it. But it stays
there all the time. Had it checked 2 years ago with the same problem.
I was told it was a cam phaser problem. Any input?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Feedguy
Cross-Country
ticking

Same issue I had with my 2004. Went away when new phasers installed. 1262 bucks at local Ford dealer. 73850 miles at the time of install. 78400 now. Still quiet.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM
FTO_
Freshman User
2006 Ford F150

Well, I guess I should take it in to the shop and have them look into
it.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 PM
FTO_
Freshman User
Ford F150, 2006

The engine started ticking the second day of a trip home from Texas.
I had some problems with it two years before that and had it to the dealership for the problem. They also wanted to do a bunch of other
unnecessary stuff, but I wouldn't let them. They did mention the cam phasers then.

But now the noise is constant and very annoying.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by MarksA-C
I am currently in the purchasing process of a 2004 F150 S-cab 4x4. Has the 5.4 and automatic. Right around 87,xxx miles. Its at a Ford dealer for a decent price, test drove it and it runs great, only under hood noises are a light ticking coming from the 2 belt tensioners. I tested it in the usual directions, good test drive... and a little bit of heavy throttle and brake action. Everything seems perfect, its a VERY clean truck inside, outside, and underneath as well. Looks like its been very well maintained. Simply put, I want it!

Now reading here on the forums all I see are lots of major engine problems with the timing chain tensioners and other engine internals. I am a very overly paranoid person and I just need to know if these trucks are worth the risk of purchasing. I don't want to sign my soul away for 5 years of payments for the truck to randomly explode 3 months from now.

Maybe its just my pre-purchase nerves, but I wouldn't mind some input on the subject. Thank you!
If the ticking is very light and it goes away above 1200 rpm, I wouldn't be scared of it. The 04 5.4's get a very bad rap, and I'm sure there are some bad ones, but I have a very early 04(manufactured 10-03) and the engine has been very good to me. I bought it in sept of 05 with 29,000 miles on it, had the light ticking you are talking about. I got 92,000 miles now and the ticking is just the same, it is definetely there but it is light and if I rev the truck above 1200 rpm it goes away. The plugs are a real problem, but not a deal breaker, make sure they have been changed before you buy it. But you will fight the plug issue all the way up to the 08 model year.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
mrshark
Senior User
Well I have an 04 FX4 with the 5.4 88500 miles, light ticking noise but not too bad, so far so good as far as the engine goes, problems I've had are bearings on one of the belt pulleys went bad, rear diff shudder needed new clutches (covered under warranty), pinion seal leak, and power window fell off track. I do oil changes every 4k with motorcraft semi synthetic and motorcraft filter, have changed the tranny fluid 3x so far.

I will drive this truck till I can't any longer.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
gccch
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have an 04 Supercrew bought new this time in 2004. I have 95k on it and have not had any serious problems. Still on my second set of tires, second battery, brakes. Oh, I had to replace a couple of power window units. Do not buy these used. It still looks to me like a new truck. Wear and tear is hardly visible. Could not be much happier with the quality.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 PM
FTO_
Freshman User
I love my truck and drive it as my primary vehicle, but I don't like the ticking. I'm wondering if I have them put a different oil in for a bit if that would help?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:46 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fran Townsend Okrei
I love my truck and drive it as my primary vehicle, but I don't like the ticking. I'm wondering if I have them put a different oil in for a bit if that would help?
I don't care for the ticking either, but mine is there and it has been the same the whole (almost)7 years I have driven my truck. There have been a lot of posts on here of guys running heavier oil to lose the ticking. I don't know, I actually ran 10-30 in my truck for one oil change when I first bought it because I was from the school that thought 5-20 was too thin, then my brother told me that he had heard you shouldn't do that cause the oil was too thick on start up, so then I switched and ran 5-30 for about 35,000 miles, no change, then when my Wal-mart started carrying the MC oil I decided to change to the recommended 5-20, been on that for almost 30,000 miles. I have seen change in the ticking through all that. Also, my truck has never used a drop of oil either. So, I would recommend just running the 5-20, but my recommendations aren't worth much!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 AM
FTO_
Freshman User
Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 AM
FTO_
Freshman User
I need to change the running boards on my truck. They're the plain black plastic ones.
One got broken and I'd like to replace them both with something else. What kind do you have and how happy with them?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
FTO_
Freshman User
I'm planning on driving this truck til it drops. But I maintain it and take good care of
it, so I'm hoping that's a long time in the future....

Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 AM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fran Townsend Okrei
I'm planning on driving this truck til it drops. But I maintain it and take good care of
it, so I'm hoping that's a long time in the future....
I can't help you on the running boards, mine are factory, but I am sure if you shop around on-line you will find some options you like, maybe start a new thread asking some guys about after-market running boards. I maintain my truck too, I have stated to other people that I will run my truck till it blows, like you I hope that is a long time. I try to maintain it, and I am obsessed with keeping the outside looking good(too obsessed most would say). I love my truck and I have driven it almost 7 years now, I would love to drive it another 7, and I will as long as the engine stays strong and the exterior stays in good shape.

Quick Reply: How problematic are the 2004 F150 5.4's?