Sponsored by:

Best of the broncos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chamblizi
Hey If i recall correct isn't a 300 apart of the straight six list? If so I always wanted one of those i here there easy to fix on and quick to rebuild... I believe Ford discontinued the Straight 6 cause they last so long and the company can't literatly make money off a engine that is so basic and easy to rebuild. To top that off It is good well solidly made and childs play to put together. vs a 90 351w
The 300 was indeed an L6 (inline) engine. Frequently dubbed the "poor man's diesel", it produced more torque at lower RPMs than any of the smaller V8's. It was discontinued because emissions regulations mandated a reduction in volumetric capacity for 6-cylinder engines which basically would have defeated the 300's purpose for existing. (Same reason BMW had to completely redesign the one that they still put into their cars.) The 300 was a HUGE money-maker for Ford. Not only was it the base line engine for the light truck line for thirty-plus years, it is also the the engine in EVERY Grumman-built UPS truck ever made... (You know the classic UPS delivery truck with the rounded nose). You can also find it in front of emergency generators, industrial compressors, and industrial pumping stations all over the world! Smaller commercial boats that didn't have diesels had them as well. Its low-rpm, high-torque capacity made it ideal for these and many other applications. I don't have the statistical information to back it up , but I'd go so far as to suggest that the 300 is probably second only to the model-T engine in production numbers. And yes, they are known to run for a quarter-million miles or more before needing any major overhauling but that's not why Ford stopped building them. Who needs to build an engine that breaks if you can build one that WORKS in EVERYTHING?!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, thats some good info Grey. I didn't know that much about it.

BTW chamblizi heh i worked at a GM dealership for 1 1/2 years. I kind of tried to sound like i was selling one :P

Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 AM
chamblizi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Oh cool. i am probably 30 minutes to an hour away in a small hokey poke town called Algona. It is inside Auburn in a way. North of Puyallup and east of Federal way. My 400 is a bit weak at the moment due to my 2bbl carb needing a rebuild but once it is warmed up it has some kick to it and will push 35s Just about anywhere.
Upgrade to a 4bbl it will help you save gas because the jet ports are smaller When i got my ranchero it came with the original 2bbl but has a 4bbl on it with a adapter. BTW when is the last time you had a flush? I recommend Bardahl Motor and transmission flush for it. The before and after flush in my engine was Sickening. I take good care of my vehicles and do basic maintenance when it is needed. I found it most effective to drive your vehicle while the flush is circulating to get all the crud heated up.... Not for extensive periods though possibly a 10 minute or 15 minute drive then let the vehicle sit for about another 10 minutes. After that shut it off and pull the plug you will be surprised what comes out. For transmissions fallow the directions though to a T.....

Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Nah i had the transmission rebuilt a few hundred miles ago actually. As for other fluid i haven't done much besides an oil change, which i need to do another soon. I plan to soon do a coolant flush any my top hose is ballooned bad so that needs replacing. I plan to do both hoses and new coolant. I don't have tones of money to do stuff and i have been looking for a 44bl kit i want an intake plus the carb but i figure i can live with just the intake then rebuild the carb and use an adapter till i can afford a new carb. I don't drive much as of now due to not having a main income source but i do take it out once in a while to get a jog in. There is also a lot of suspension work and steering work that needs to be done eventually. I find money is my biggest battle :[

Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Wow, thats some good info Grey. I didn't know that much about it.

BTW chamblizi heh i worked at a GM dealership for 1 1/2 years. I kind of tried to sound like i was selling one :P

I can tell ! lol I was like ohh yeah i am digging it! XD

Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Nah i had the transmission rebuilt a few hundred miles ago actually. As for other fluid i haven't done much besides an oil change, which i need to do another soon. I plan to soon do a coolant flush any my top hose is ballooned bad so that needs replacing. I plan to do both hoses and new coolant. I don't have tones of money to do stuff and i have been looking for a 44bl kit i want an intake plus the carb but i figure i can live with just the intake then rebuild the carb and use an adapter till i can afford a new carb. I don't drive much as of now due to not having a main income source but i do take it out once in a while to get a jog in. There is also a lot of suspension work and steering work that needs to be done eventually. I find money is my biggest battle :[

I can understand that the price of everything is skyrocketing the best friends of classics are now ebay and C/L you can get a preformance used intake from ebay easy.

I am currently searching for a job too...

Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I have been doind a bit of searching for an intake, though my neighbor across the street drag races his mustang and is constantly rebuilding the engine. I figured if anyone had an intake or knew of one being sold cheaply it was him. Of course the problem with that is he is running a 302 but he knows what i need (he has helped me many a times with my stuff) so i figured i should start there first.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
I have been doind a bit of searching for an intake, though my neighbor across the street drag races his mustang and is constantly rebuilding the engine. I figured if anyone had an intake or knew of one being sold cheaply it was him. Of course the problem with that is he is running a 302 but he knows what i need (he has helped me many a times with my stuff) so i figured i should start there first.
Got to start some where i still am going to change my intake manifold and possibly do a little bit of head work... I just got done with a A/Z app not to long ago and i got a interview at a place tomorrow so blah.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Big_Rob
Senior User
My sig says it all... Gen.V

Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big_Rob
LOL! SIG SLAPPING PEOPLE MUCH! LMAO!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:55 PM
chamblizi
Senior User

hey how do i get my signature photo up?

No wait i got it! lol

Old 04-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Big_Rob
Senior User
LOL! SIG SLAPPING PEOPLE MUCH! LMAO!

Old 04-19-2012, 02:27 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
how much mpg does your bronco get.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Big_Rob
Senior User
how much mpg does your bronco get.
15 mpg....

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
15 mpg....
15 not bade i still can't get the signature photo to work.

Quick Reply: Best of the broncos?