Best of the broncos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 AM
chamblizi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best of the broncos?

Hey, Ranchero Rider here aka chamblizi

Just got some questions basic questions nothing major.

I have previously owned a 89 F-250 and i am looking into buying a bronco when i get back in the work force...

Which bronco year is the toughest and the best looking from what years.

I want a 4x4 bronco for mudding/driving. I don't need super MPG but i do ask for 15mpg... max. I am assuming i can get one for 1500 easy. The bronco value is lower then the ratio of F-250s.. It is crucial that I have the best of the best. The top of the line!

I have heard from many bronco lovers that you should not buy Bronco II cause there full of problems.

Please list what you feel is the best i am making this as a pole.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:43 AM
ford1977owner
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 78/9 in my opinion were tough as nails and honestly i think their the best looking, after that looks wise i would say the 92-96 broncos were nice as well (i own a 93)

Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Honestly they are all beastly and awesome, I would also say 92-96 with the 5.8l. Parts can come very easy and relatively cheap if needed.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's one extremely subjective question for a forum full of Bronco enthusiasts. Everyone here has his/her particular favorite in the realms of styling, performance, and capabilities. I personally think the 87-91's are ugly as sin but my brother and many others love 'em for the big square headlights and nose. I'll take my 92-96's styling and unique balance of on-and off-road manners any day unless someone wants to give me a 78-79. But my reasons for loving the 78-79's have little to do with styling and more to do with size, engines and running gear. Still others would tell you to skip the full-size units and just find an early Bronco (66-77) which can be bought in component form from the ground up (Yes, I'm talking frames to fenders.) if you have the coin to accomplish it. That's how popular and how available the aftermarket parts are for the early units.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Best looking comes down to preference.

As for which ones are the toughest, they really didn't change much in that department throughout the whole run, so you're going to get a tough truck no matter which year you choose. About the only standout is the 1980 and half way through 81, some of them came with a "swiss cheese" frame that has large holes cut out of it to reduce weight. Steer clear of those.

Beyond that, it's whether you want carb'd or fuel injection.

The weakness is usually inherent in overdrive transmissions.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
I agree with Greystreak. Asking 10 or 20 Bronco owners which one they like the best is going to get you 10-20 different answers. In my humble opinion the 78-79 Broncos look the toughest. However, all Broncos can handle what you intend to use it for, so picking one that you like is going to be personal preference. I like the 92-96 style the best, and also think the 87-91 are fugly. However, that is just my opinion, there are a lot of 87-91 owners out there who love that style. I like the 80-86 style also, but since I have a 93, I doubt I would ever buy one from that series. I don't want a 78-79 either, as I don't care for its styling, again, just my preference. I have never owned, nor have I known anyone who has owned the Bronco II, or the early Broncos so I can't give any advice on them. I would not mind owning a Bronco II tho, as the mpg would be a heck of a lot better than what I am getting with my current Bronco.

Jim

Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Your best bet is to see what is out there that gives the best bang for you money. If body style and year are not important, you will have a good rig in any year you buy.....as long as you buy smart. Depending on the area you are in, it may be a hard process to find a good one.

I prefer the later models having owned a 95 and now a 93.....but, all are sweet.

Bronco II....some friends have had them....seemed like it took owning two so they could keep one running.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
Honestly they are all beastly and awesome, I would also say 92-96 with the 5.8l. Parts can come very easy and relatively cheap if needed.

1 Point kudo's Cost efficiency and i know how to deal with the 5.8L The 5.8L in the 90's where the windsors

Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford1977owner
the 78/9 in my opinion were tough as nails and honestly i think their the best looking, after that looks wise i would say the 92-96 broncos were nice as well (i own a 93)
I like the fact of not having to do emission testing that way i can completely make it street legal and sound like a monster Chevy crushing machine I am debating to get a semi aggressive cam.... as for my ranchero i am going to just restore it back to factory and put in the hard work in the bronco.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:29 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by greystreak92
That's one extremely subjective question for a forum full of Bronco enthusiasts. Everyone here has his/her particular favorite in the realms of styling, performance, and capabilities. I personally think the 87-91's are ugly as sin but my brother and many others love 'em for the big square headlights and nose. I'll take my 92-96's styling and unique balance of on-and off-road manners any day unless someone wants to give me a 78-79. But my reasons for loving the 78-79's have little to do with styling and more to do with size, engines and running gear. Still others would tell you to skip the full-size units and just find an early Bronco (66-77) which can be bought in component form from the ground up (Yes, I'm talking frames to fenders.) if you have the coin to accomplish it. That's how popular and how available the aftermarket parts are for the early units.

I feel the 90's broncos are some what still in the metal era and people have hit some premium points on here, I'm debating 92-96 just before things got to fiberglassy. Only bad thing about the 5.8L Windsor set up is they break egr lines easy.... I had to replace one of them once eh it took for ever in my 89 f-250 because 89 corresponds with the 90's so i had to literally eyeball the tubes and modify one. I like the broncos with the removable tops.... That way if it get scorching out i can burn some paint and have the wind blowing thru the air with a Ford flag up.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
No Broncos built after 96......all Broncos have removable tops, Bronco II's do not have removable tops.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Structurally, you're not going to find a lot of differences between an 80 and a 96.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best one is the one with the least rust. Big or small, I like them all. I will say the big ones are cheaper/easier to modify to individual requirements due to the sheer numbers of them. Your $1500 will buy a running full size Bronco, you will be hard put to find a 66-77 worth buying in that range. Many of the EB vendors have expanded their lines to include full size vehicle parts.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
78/79, but I am partial!

The only fullsize with a solid front axle, NP435 with 6.69:1 first gear.
The 400 is a torque monster and come on, nothing looks better than 78/79 Bronco with the top off!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by AzPete
No Broncos built after 96......all Broncos have removable tops, Bronco II's do not have removable tops.
i would like a 90 bronco because of the front nose 92 is when it became wierd looking.

Quick Reply: Best of the broncos?