6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Climate Controlled Seats (issue?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't leave my cooled seats on high for more than 5-10 mins w/o my ***** being so frozen I have to turn it down to low to be comfortable. My seats get really cold whether or not the truck a/c is on. Hell, I can have the climate control completely off and my seats still get ice cold. They get pretty hot when the heated is on high as well.

Guess I have really good seats or super sensitive *****....

Old 04-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew010
I can't leave my cooled seats on high for more than 5-10 mins w/o my ***** being so frozen I have to turn it down to low to be comfortable. My seats get really cold whether or not the truck a/c is on. Hell, I can have the climate control completely off and my seats still get ice cold. They get pretty hot when the heated is on high as well.

Guess I have really good seats or super sensitive *****....
and i have neither

Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,313 Likes on 2,275 Posts
Have you guys been talking about your ***** the whole time? I think you need to talk to the service dept and at a minimum take a ride in another truck on the lot to compare the heat/cool output to yours. That will give you piece of mind. You spent too much money to wonder and be anything less than completely satisfied.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Raymow
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
Ok, so after a few days of having the truck, and trying out the heat in the morning and the ac in the afternoon, Im starting to think something is up. They dont seem to get very warm, or cool. I notice slight cooling on the bottom section on high after a while, but nothing impressive. same for heat. WTH
Tux Does your seats heat or cool with remote start? mine doesn't.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Seat no. But if you remote start in hot weather the max ac activates and if you remote start in cold weather max heat activates

Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Hmmm, I gotta get this checked out then - mine will "take away the heat" if you will, but nothing close to cold...
with everything else off and the seat ac on - I hear the blower, but no diff whether the ac was on or not...
(wife would love that as she is always cold and I'm always hot )

Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Seat no. But if you remote start in hot weather the max ac activates and if you remote start in cold weather max heat activates
Just a side note, the seat heat/cool light doesn't indicate that it's on when remote started, but it very well may be on depending on the ambient temperature.

When you get in and turn the key to the on position (this is after remote starting), the seat heat/cool shuts off, you have to manually turn it back on.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:49 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This breakdown of the climate control system was posted a while back by a well respected individual here on FTE....

Remote start and EMTC (Electronic Manual Temperature Control)...

When the remote start feature is used, the climate control system automatically sets certain parameters in an attempt to achieve a comfortable cabin temperature. These parameters are set based on outside air temperature. During remote start, the outside air temperature is continually evaluated and HVAC system behavior can change if the outside air changes between cold, moderate and warm temperatures.

For cold ambient air temperatures (below 0°C (32°F)):
-the airflow mode is set to FLOOR/DEFROST.
-the temperature is set to full HOT.
-the blower speed is set to HIGH.
-the air inlet mode is set to fresh air.
-the auxiliary electric heater is enabled if needed (diesel engines only) (if equipped).

For moderate ambient air temperatures (between 0°C (32°F) and 27°C (80°F)):
-the airflow mode is set to the last user setting.
-the temperature is set to the last user setting.
-the blower speed is set to the last user setting.
-the air inlet mode is set to the last user setting.
-the auxiliary electric heater is enabled if needed (diesel engines only) (if equipped).

For warm ambient air temperatures (above 27°C (80°F)):
-the airflow mode is set to MAX A/C.
-the temperature is set to full COOL.
-the blower speed is set to HIGH.
-the air inlet mode is set to RECIRC.
-the auxiliary electric heater is not enabled (diesel engines only) (if equipped).

Are the seats Heaters activated in the "below freezing" temperature?.
OR Anytime automatically.

The following applies to vehicles with either EMTC (Electronic Manual Temperature Control) or DATC (Dual Automatic Temperature Control).

Climate Controlled Seats (If Equipped) - When the vehicle is started using the remote start feature, the driver/passenger climate controlled seat activates in full heat mode when the outside temperature is less than 0° C (32° F) and full cool mode when outside temperature is greater than 27° C (80° F).

Heated Mirrors (If Equipped) - When the vehicle is started using the remote start feature and the outside temperature is less than 0° C (32° F), the heated mirrors will be activated.

Rear Window Defrost (If Equipped) - When the vehicle is started using the remote start feature and the outside temperature is less than 0° C (32° F), the rear window defrost will be activated.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
I didnt know all that. Thats way cool.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
went to the dealer today. they spent about 2 hours with the seat. said the fan in the rear (back) portion of the seat wasnt fit properly into the "ducting/mount" and put it back in properly. but doesnt expect it to solve the issue and wants to further investigate. contacted ford engineering for advice on what to look for and stated that there is no existing TSB as of yet. I mentioned my knowledge of the issues learned on here about previous seat issues and he found that very helpful. claimed to have put in a request to ford for a TSB. also said they didnt have time to dig further as it was the end of the day and i wanted to leave with my truck. said come back tomorrow and they will go further with the issue and will give me a vehicle in the interim. very helpful dealer and easy to work with. eager to please and solve the issue. will report more when known.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:05 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Then I definitely need to get it into the dealership....
because we've been over 80 many times and my seat is never on....

Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just be sure of a couple things for the seat cooling.

Your thermostat needs to be 65 or lower and the ac on. If you have the thermostat set at 70 and the outside temp is 74 you won't notice much. But a 60 setting and outside temp at 85 you will get much better sensation.

The air temp at the intake filter under the bottom of the seat is important. That's where the air gets sucked in. I'm not sure that the seat has its own duct, so the source is where you need cold air and I think it's simply the air under the seat.

It also depends on what you are wearing. If I have a cotton shirt on I can't feel the cooling nearly as much as when I have a light "cool max" type shirt like a Nike dry fit or some other thin polyester type golf shirt. I actually get chill bumps when I wear these shirts with the seat cooler.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Just be sure of a couple things for the seat cooling.

Your thermostat needs to be 65 or lower and the ac on. If you have the thermostat set at 70 and the outside temp is 74 you won't notice much. But a 60 setting and outside temp at 85 you will get much better sensation.

The air temp at the intake filter under the bottom of the seat is important. That's where the air gets sucked in. I'm not sure that the seat has its own duct, so the source is where you need cold air and I think it's simply the air under the seat.

It also depends on what you are wearing. If I have a cotton shirt on I can't feel the cooling nearly as much as when I have a light "cool max" type shirt like a Nike dry fit or some other thin polyester type golf shirt. I actually get chill bumps when I wear these shirts with the seat cooler.
Great info thanks. Will try that

Old 04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info thanks. Will try that
The seat heater/coolers do not use the HVAC system in the truck at all. They are thermoelectric units that cool or heat depending on the polarity of the voltage being fed. The interior temp of the truck may have a slight effect on their ability to produce heat or cold, but not much.

The thermoelectric seat heaters/coolers in my truck seem to be very erratic as to their performance. One day they will cool very well while the next they seem to not be working much at all. This is the same with the heat although the heat is more consistent than the cooling. I have found no correlation between outside temps and their overall performance in general. I can tell you that the units in my friend's Mercedes AMG G55 are fantastic as compared to the units in my truck. His get ice cold in under a minute and will heat you out of the seat in the same amount of time. My wife's Hyundai Santa Fe has seat heaters that put the Ford's to shame as well.

I believe it's all in the parts that are sourced and what the manufacturer was willing to pay for them.

Here's an example of one you can put in any vehicle

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/thcosecu.html

Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
truck went back to dealer today for further investigation/troublshooting. they gave me a free rental car, which was good of them. also pointed out a minor manufacturing defect in a trim piece that was driving me nuts. they were more than glad to help out with my concerns. very different from other dealer experiences ive had. although first time with a new vehichle and dealing with the service dept from the dealer that sold me the truck. got my fingers crossed that i will have the kidney freeze that others "complain" about

Quick Reply: Climate Controlled Seats (issue?)