GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck guys.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts
Congrats in the finds. Always fun to get new parts!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Captbs32
Senior User
Man you are lucky!

Mine was of an EFI I6 serpentine set up.
there was an 83 bronco there at the junk yard with a 300 I6 so I tried it out on that LOL. there was like 5 bolts that lined up. The bottom four bolts mount up along with one on the front of the block.
So held off on getting and was going to wait for a older one.

I do have a coulpe questions for ya AB. What size where the fittings on the High pressure line on the pump and box? Someone had cut the ones on the van I was at so I didn't even bother bc I knew there would be seized up.

Also, How did that bracket work for YOUR I6 and what year model did you get it off of? I would think any e-van v-type belt set would work.

Oh just curious if you have it installed yet let me know how it works. We have a simular set up I have a little bigger tires but anything has to be better the the one ford put on the OEM Bronco

Old 04-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Captbs32
Senior User
Edge, that is the truth!!
It is kinda like a drug looking for them.
You keep wanting to find more. First it is the Saginaw, then the 3G, then....you get it.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
I have searched for a great number of the upgrades available for our trucks. I have most of then on the Bronco.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Lol you're soooo wrong with that statement Edge, the number of upgrades is enormous, you probably have 1%. But maybe you're satisfied with what you want your truck to be.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
True Encho. The main swaps I guess are what im refering too.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Well, I got the Saginaw swapped in yesterday.
Not meaning to take over your post, but thought I'd throw this out there in case you need help with yours.

Pretty much straight forward, but there were a few hitches I wasn't expecting.

Four biggest things:
  • The PS belt isn't long enough to reach the new pump, so I had to get a longer belt.
  • The cap's weren't the same, so I had to get a different cap. (The JY one I picked up was missing a cap.)
  • The low pressure hoses are completely different. The stock one on the Bronco was a big, long 10 foot metal hose that went down, wound around the front of the axle, and then back up. I imagine this is for extra cooling for the lower quality pump. The Saginaw return line was about 6 inches long. Neither would reach, so I had to get a longer rubber hose to go from the Bronco's original pipe to the back of the Saginaw pump.
  • The stock radiator hose is shaped to sit RIGHT ON the pulley of the Saginaw pump. I had to strap it back, or as soon as I started up the engine, the pulley would have cut through the hose like a hot knife through butter.

Original Pump. This one was going out and kicking back on me whenever I'd turn the wheel at low speeds. Made for some very difficult parallel parking.

"New" pump. Disgustingly dirty. I went through a whole can of engine degreaser on it.

Cleaned up the brackets. I couldn't get the third bracket off the pump as the bolts were extremely tight, so I had to clean the third bracket and the pump while they were bolted together. Not as clean as I'd like it, but oh well, it's not going to hurt it.

This spacer's important, so don't miss it when you're in the junk yard. If you do, you'll need a stack of about 4 regular washers to put between the new bracket and the engine.

New bracket installed:

Pump installed:

The low pressure return line I had to lengthen. The top end used a regular hose clamp to clamp onto the pump, but the bottom end (the one on the metal line) used a permanent crimp clamp. I had to work at it to pry it off.
It's in a difficult to reach place, so I found it was a lot easier to do by taking the two bolts that held the entire line to the axle off and remove the line from the vehicle completely. Not hard at all.
I used a regular hose clamp when I put it back together.

The radiator hose sitting on the pulley. I zip tied it up against the pump, and it's secure and out of the way.

The only thing I'd like to do extra is find a better solution for the radiator hose. It's good how it is now, but if those zip ties go, that hose is going to get sliced right open and leave me high and dry.

The new pump is INCREDIBLE. I can see why people do this swap. I was able to do lock to lock with one finger without the vehicle even moving. Now I just need to find another one for my other Bronco.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by captbs32
Man you are lucky!

Mine was of an EFI I6 serpentine set up.
there was an 83 bronco there at the junk yard with a 300 I6 so I tried it out on that LOL. there was like 5 bolts that lined up. The bottom four bolts mount up along with one on the front of the block.
So held off on getting and was going to wait for a older one.

I do have a coulpe questions for ya AB. What size where the fittings on the High pressure line on the pump and box? Someone had cut the ones on the van I was at so I didn't even bother bc I knew there would be seized up.

Also, How did that bracket work for YOUR I6 and what year model did you get it off of? I would think any e-van v-type belt set would work.

Oh just curious if you have it installed yet let me know how it works. We have a simular set up I have a little bigger tires but anything has to be better the the one ford put on the OEM Bronco
Yeah, I felt really fortunate on the find! It's the first one I've ever seen. Usually they're EFI, so I don't mess with them. The van had a feedback carb setup, so I imagine it was an 84 - 86.

I don't know what size the fittings were. They were exactly the same as the ones I took out, so whatever those ones are. You won't be able to make one yourself anyway, since it's a specialty hose, so you should be able to just go to a parts store and ask for a HIGH pressure line from a carb'd 300 van and you'll get the right one. The difference between the Bronco and van one is how they're shaped, and, (I think) the fitting that goes into the pump itself.

The bracket bolted up like it was made for it.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Awesome write up! I didn't have any issues with the radiator hose so maybe thats only a 300/6 thing.

Here's a link to my Saginaw install from my build thread with a EFI 351w for anyone searching.

Brett's Saginaw Install

Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM
AbandonedBronco
It must be. The hose, for some reason, on the I6 dips way down in the center. On the van, the connection was in the center of the radiator instead of the driver's side, so it was shaped really differently.

Wow, that bracket for the V8 is way, way different than the I6 one.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Well its also this crazy big aluminum piece that also mounts the AC compressor on a serpentine set-up. I personally like the simplicity of a V belt set-up. My 68 only has one belt and I love it, however I don't have power steering.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Good job guys, ih hope it worked how you imagined. Now then. Does anyone know if you could take a pump and bracket from whatever V8 they came on and directly swap it into a 78? The radiator hose won't be an issue cause mine is on the passenger side. Having too short of a hose may not be an issue either with a steering box that is right next to the pump. I just don't know about the bracket. The original one i have seems like the AC compressor would on top if it had one, it is kind of flat save for the bolts and stuff. I would really like to get a saginaw cause my OEM one groans a lot more now and burns the ATF pretty bad. I am pretty sure someone has done the conversion before it is just a matter of what parts i will need and what modifications i have to do. If I have to drill 1 or 2 holes in a new bracket thats fine i can do that but if i have to weld anything or cut any big pieces i might not be able to cause i don't have a grinder at the moment. I will get some pictures of my setup posted here in a little bit, once i finish waking up

Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Heck its super easy with a V Belt . You could practically cut a flat piece of stock steel and drill holes it and bolt it on. Just use washers and shim it where you need it.....lol that's a redneck Saginaw swap...

Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Oh ok. Well we will see when i find one. Maybe i can figure out a way to modify my stock bracket or the saginaws bracket to fit.

Quick Reply: I found a Saginaw pump