1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vintage A/C and loss of glove box space?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 AM
bryanknie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vintage A/C and loss of glove box space?

I am ordering a Vintage A/C unit, Gen II compact. From all of the pictures I see it look like I lose the glove box space all together, unless it is the angle of the pictures?

My Truck is an 1952 F1

Who has done this? What problems did you have? What type of vents/ducting did you use.

Are you able to get around not having a glove box?

Thanks.

Bryan

Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bryanknie
I am ordering a Vintage A/C unit, Gen II compact. From all of the pictures I see it look like I lose the glove box space all together, unless it is the angle of the pictures?

My Truck is an 1952 F1

Who has done this? What problems did you have? What type of vents/ducting did you use.

Are you able to get around not having a glove box?

Thanks.

Bryan
Haven't done it but getting along without a glove box is a piece of cake...especially if you still have the original tool tray behind the seat. It's amazing how much stuff you can put in there. I don't need A/C here in NH but I had a radio mounted in my glovebox...

Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 PM
bryanknie
Senior User
I have the original tray. I would just like to be able to open the glove box door and have a space to put a garage door opener or my phone.

Just wondering if there will be any usable space left and what others have done or maybe I dont have a worry. At minimum I am wondering if I can cut down a new glove box liner, make it smaller and get it to work?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM
JohnS49
Senior User
I have a vintage air unit in my 49 F2 . It was installed by a vintage air dealer so I can't give you to much in the way of instalion details but I can tell you it works great and is worth the money . You will lose a lot of glove box space but not all . You can shorten the cardboard glove box by about 2/3s , staple it back together and have room for paper work & some small items .

Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 PM
BadAss Beaver
Senior User
Pretty much the same space situation on my '54. Once the evap was installed, i have just over 2" of depth. For my year model, Vintage offered a plastic insert to fill the remaining dash space and I think it is 2" in depth. We also used Vintage's vents, ducting etc. but my dash was lowered about 3" to accomodate vent placement and to hide the unit. You can see a couple of pics by following the link in my sig and looking in the photo albums "081210" and "120811".

Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 PM
bryanknie
Senior User
Thanks guys!

Thats what I was hoping. Sounds like as worse case I can use my old one and cut it down or buy a new one and cut it down. If I have 2 inches I will be happy!

I am keeping my dash as stock as possible, if any one has any pics of a 51 or 52 with the A/C installed, please post them. I ideas of how it will look are much appreciated.

After paying 10K, owning and driving the heck out of my truck for 10 years with no additional expenses other than maintenance, I am in the middle of a frame off (contracted to local shop, due to lack of time). Going with new, chrome, paint, disc brakes, Crate 302 (Ford Motorsports 306), AOD, converting Dana 44 rear to posi, changing gears to aprox 3.50 and adding A/C, but I want my interior and exterior of my Truck stock looking and new, even keeping the rubber mat. Just a over all upgrade/restoration for running and reliability in modern traffic as I will use it more.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:09 PM
JohnS49
Senior User
I checked mine and it 's about 3 1/2 '' in depth.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I used a Hot Rod a/c and this is what it looked like after I installed it. I tried cutting down an original style glove box but could not get it in with the a/c installed. I made my own box and will post another picture of it.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
There is not much room under the dash for all the junk I have. This covered it up good. I made a cardboard template for the sides and bottom together and folded it to get it throught the opening. I made another template for the back. I then cut them out of metal and sprayed them with textured paint. It took several tries before I was satisfied.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mytbtruck
There is not much room under the dash for all the junk I have. This covered it up good. I made a cardboard template for the sides and bottom together and folded it to get it throught the opening. I made another template for the back. I then cut them out of metal and sprayed them with textured paint. It took several tries before I was satisfied.
Nice job!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Bryan,
Funny - You start talking about air conditioning & it's only Texas
& Florida guys talking on here. Sounds like you have a great truck.
We've got a 1950 F1 with 351W, AOD, & Air conditioning..
(Our's is the "Mini" slimline version - not really as big as it looks in the pic - plenty of legroom).

Ben in Austin

Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Doraville
Senior User
I have the Vintage Air Gen II in my '52 F1. As JohnS49 said, you could probably shorten the cardboard dash pocket. Mine was old and fragile, so we fabricated a new dash pocket out of sheet metal.

We also fabricated a dash extension to house the AC vents and controls. There is a photo album in my gallery with some step-by-step photos of the fab.

Good Luck!
-DV

Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 AM
383lightning
Senior User
Originally Posted by mytbtruck
where did you get the nice chrome glove box hinges?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
They have mock up boxes. I borrowed the GEN IV from my local part supplier (So-Cal AZ) to see if I could make it fit in my '49. With the GEN IV their wasn't much room left for a glove box, but I want to freeze people out of my truck with the windows down... I've fallen on rough time so the AC and work on the old girl is on hold for a while.

Check around and see if you can find a local supplier that has the GEN II Mock-Up Box, rent or borrow it makes it easy to make brackets with and see what kind of room the box is going to take up!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 AM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 383lightning
where did you get the nice chrome glove box hinges?
They are painted satin black. I guess the reflection makes them look like chrome. Don't we wish?

Quick Reply: Vintage A/C and loss of glove box space?