1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-12-2014, 12:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Lost the Wire Springy Thingy on Brake Pads? Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM
TNT
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost the Wire Springy Thingy on Brake Pads? Necessary?

My 18 year old launched the little wire spring thing that applies pressure for the brake pads on front disc brakes. Could have gone in to neighbor's yard! Actually lost one on each side. He put it all back together without one on each side. I said it would still work fine. What's the deal really? Can't be that important are they?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I have an '06, therefore different pads. But I don't think they are all that much different. Anyway, those springs keep the pads from rattling around in the caliper bracket, keep some tension away from the rotor, and also one per wheel is a wear indicator. I would not want to run without them. Also, Ford pads come with all new springs. Did your new pads not include them?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:47 PM
TNT
Mountain Pass
The pads I purchased did not come with them. Makes sense as to what they do. I can tell you they did not work as a sensor given my son rode the pad through into the rotor. Such a simple little spring...probably can't even buy except through the dealer. Oh well. Truck runs fine without them but I'm sure it would be better to have them over the long haul.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Some pads do not come with them. Mine didnt. I would go get some. I got a box of all new brake hardware from the auto parts store for around $10.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I personally don't worry about them, but it's your call.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 PM
fmtrvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, the clip hardware between the '99-04 Akebono calipers and '05+ TRW calipers are totally different. They are not a wear sensor.

The V or wishbone springs that going into the top of the pads on the Akebono calipers were added after the trucks initial launch to aid in keeping the pads away from the rotors to minimize issues that develop into brake pulsation. They are worth using, but not a disaster if you don't have them. If it were me, I pick up a pair and install them where you lost one. Having only one spring per pad pushes one end of the pads out and allows the end without the spring to contact the rotor, so some tapered pad wear will occur.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM
fx4real
New User
never had them on

i bought my truck (2004 f150, fx4) new in november of 03. just replaced the pads and rotors on the front (this will be the third set of pads). there were none of these springs on there. when i was buying the pads the guy told me that these springs should go on there, and showed me the little holes but pep-boys didn't sell the springs. my father in law who did them the first time was standing right there and said they were not on there.
we go back and forth and i swear the pep-boys guy said they may have been introduced around february of 04. were there a lot of complaints early on that caused them to start installing these clips. i got 130K on the truck and this will be the third set of pads and second set of rotors. there were holes in the pads to accept the springs and there was a groove on the inside of the caliper assembly to accept the wishbone end of the spring. i'm not hearing any grinding, no squeaking and the brakes don't appear to be heating up. do i need these things on there. thanks

Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
the only pads that come with springs and hardwear are from ford after market suppliers dont sell with pads you have to ask for and pay for them there cheap and they not only stop rattel but they keep the pressure off the rotor so you dont get hot spots and warp them

Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM
fmtrvt
Elder User
They were on the '03 model year trucks.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM
fx4real
New User
2004 model.

the truck is a 2004. i bought it in 2003. the caliper assembly has anti rattle clips that snap into it. i can clearly see the holes in the new pads and how the spring clips would go in there. i will probably buy the spring clips and put them in. why would ford do this and the OEM pad manufacturer not include them?
funny thing is, i live in nj, tons of stop and go traffic and only needed to replace the pads every 60,000 miles. never had an issue when running without the spring clips.
good thing is that as i was doing a once over.......i noticed my driver side spring up front was completely cracked in half at the base. i'll save that one for a different thread.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM
fmtrvt
Elder User
They were not from the friction material manufacturer (). The were a design revision from the caliper supplier, Akebono. They would have been installed when Akebono built up the loaded caliper assembly before it was shipped to the axle or wheel end supplier, assembled to their part, then off to the vehicle production plant.

I've never seen a new vehicle without those clips once they went into production. I've seen a number of dealer and service mechanics not install them as they felt it made the caliper too difficult to install, which it is not when you know how to do it.

When not installed correctly the return end wears against the rotor and breaks in half.

The vehicles that never had them before the running change mostly ran fine. The rear brakes are just as prone to the issue but they do not have them. They were a good preventative measure though, and again I always use them.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 PM
fx4real
New User
appreciate the response. in an earlier post you mentioned a redesign of the caliper. as i mentioned, i bought the truck the year prior to the model. is it possible that initially these clips where not installed on the trucks that first rolled off the assembly line. like i mentioned before, the kid at pep boys pulled up a kit on the computer that had a before/after date associated with it. february 2004. if the caliper manufacturer had changed the design after the initial launch of the vehicle then maybe they shouldn't be on there. that or my truck was built over the summer of 03 and the brake assembly on a friday afternoon

Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 AM
fmtrvt
Elder User
Pep Boys is not privy to engineering changes. Even dealership employees don't get informed of many changes.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
my dads 2000 F350 had them, i know because ive been doing all the maintenance since ive been 15 years old

Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
fx4real
New User
didn't install them

been about two months now and no issues. here a brake squel every now and again. no major or imbalanced wear on the pads or rotor. knock on wood.

Quick Reply: Lost the Wire Springy Thingy on Brake Pads? Necessary?