6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New, confused and need guidance

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:58 PM
ATX F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
I'd go the tuner route.

The way you're driving the truck, you will always have issues with the emission parts.

Warranty is overrated, IMHO. 5000$ is a lot of cash for warranty for only 48,000 miles.

The tuner will disable the EGR and DPF system, but it would be nice to actually remove the junk from under my hood one day.

Even with the tuner, You should get it out on the open road now and again to get it working hard and hot, get any moisture boiled out of the oil.

Tracking, but what does one do when it comes time for emissions inspections?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ATX F250
Tracking, but what does one do when it comes time for emissions inspections?
Well if you have to deal with that, it is harder.

You will have to put things back on to pass emissions.

Obviously things like physically removing the EGR valve and coolers may not be an option.

I love my 6.4, but I would'nt own a 6.4 or 6.7 if I couldn't run without the emission junk.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
State inspection isn't an issue where I live; if it is where you are that can make a HUGE difference or whether or not you want to yank everything on/off every year or two. If you're using the truck for a commercial/DOT regulated purpose that's also pretty much makes NOT tuning a done deal; DPF deletes are readily noticeable even to most dim witted public servant.

There are tuning options that leave all the emissions gear intact...which is kind of like just putting the tip in...and that's all I got to say about that!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
maybe totally stock, with a tuner, and an electric exhaust valve, just to vent exhaust before the DPF when running DPF off tunes?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
ATX F250
Senior User
maybe totally stock, with a tuner, and an electric exhaust valve, just to vent exhaust before the DPF when running DPF off tunes?
Why not just have two main computers, one for tuning and the other 100% stock? Change them out when its emissions for warranty work time?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Why not just have two main computers, one for tuning and the other 100% stock? Change them out when its emissions for warranty work time?
Theres no reason you couldn't, but theres not really a reason to either. The stock computer can be loaded with the stock tune, for emissions.

The custom tuning can disable the EGR, but leave it in, and it also disables regens, but you can't flow exhaust through the DPF if you don't have a regen tune loaded, or it will plug up and then you're finished.

Thats why I said if you had an electric exhaust valve before the DPF, you could open it to run DPF off tunes, and close it to run with the DPF for emission testing.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
ATX F250
Senior User
Theres no reason you couldn't, but theres not really a reason to either. The stock computer can be loaded with the stock tune, for emissions.

The custom tuning can disable the EGR, but leave it in, and it also disables regens, but you can't flow exhaust through the DPF if you don't have a regen tune loaded, or it will plug up and then you're finished.

Thats why I said if you had an electric exhaust valve before the DPF, you could open it to run DPF off tunes, and close it to run with the DPF for emission testing.
Gotcha, I mentioned the two computers because I was reading that if they tried hard enough, they could tell tuning was taking place, even with removing the tune and replacing with factory settings.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Realistically you can't expect warranty if you mod you're truck.

Personally I would use fair judgement and be realistic about it.

If my pistons melted tomorrow, I wouldn't be going to ford for a new motor, I run a tuner. However if my water pump grenaded and destroyed the engine from a cooling problem, I wouldn't feel bad taking it in, as nothing I did caused that issue.

I think just trying to be fair about it is the way to go. Trucks without mods have problems too, so just make sure anything you did didn't cause the problem, and don't feel bad taking it in, thats how i feel about it anyways.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 PM
ATX F250
Senior User
Right, Im not about trying to get something for nothing, by the same token, they will look for every reason in the book to not cover something, so to me, its always better to be prepared, if not over prepared than at not at all.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
So basically, I'd say the easiest would be to get a tuner, and just use the DOC DPF delete pipe, so your exhaust looks stock, and keep the stock air intake.

All you have to do for the e test is put the DOC and DPF back in, and load a stock tune.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Gcapell
New User
2008 F350 6.4

Parkland, you seem very knowledgeable on these trucks. I'm very new to diesel trucks and just bought mine 2 months ago. It had 103,400 when I bought it. I bought it to tow my 38 ft 5th wheel weighing about 14000.

Anyhow being that I'm so new I'm really trying to get as much info as I can so I can keep my truck running strong. I do have a crummy 1yr 12k after market warranty. But what I'm really trying to do is learn as much as I can since my truck does have high miles.

When I was shopping for a truck people at campgrounds would always say get a diesel, they run forever. However I have read so many horror stories of people's 6.4 engines blowing up under 100k and with my truck having 105 now I'm really concerned.

Then again I hear other people telling me not to sweat it that my diesel is just getting broke in at 105k.

I won't be able to afford a new 15 to 20k engine and I'll be really screwed if this thing blows.

I do have the Banks Ram Air, Exhaust system and the 6 Gun Tuner and IQ.

Any advice you could give a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
It sounds like you're already DPF free?

IMHO the biggest problem with these trucks is the emission system.
If you don't need to do emission tests where you live, consider eventually removing the EGR coolers.

The tune you are running may or may not be running the EGR system still.

The 6.4 uses quite a bit of EGR stock, and the oil gets real crappy, this is why I think there are some early failures.
Also the fuel for any of these newer diesels needs to be nice and clean, possibly with an additive tossed in.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
It sounds like you're already DPF free?

IMHO the biggest problem with these trucks is the emission system.
If you don't need to do emission tests where you live, consider eventually removing the EGR coolers.

The tune you are running may or may not be running the EGR system still.

The 6.4 uses quite a bit of EGR stock, and the oil gets real crappy, this is why I think there are some early failures.
Also the fuel for any of these newer diesels needs to be nice and clean, possibly with an additive tossed in.
He is still running the DPF. 6 gun is a good tuner. I have had mine on for at 50K miles.

When pulling I run the 6gun in level 2 with anything under 10K and back to stock for over 10K. I feel that runs the best for me.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reading the manual there is an indicator that notifies when to do so.
I would treat the "indicator" like the Oil Light. If you see it, it's usually too late. Check it frequently, at least once a month.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Gcapell
New User
Senix, I am actually buying a 2012 Stoneridge and I see that you have one too. I literally am very green when it comes to these diesels. I don't know what you mean by DPF. My worry is that I just shelled out 32k for this truck and it's a crap shot whether it will last for the 7 yr loan that I have it on. People told me to go diesel and that they will run forever. These were Ford people that I met on campgrounds.

Would you be so kind to give this novice a check list of what I should be doing with my truck. I'm not a mechanic and generally need to pay someone to do things. I have the tuner as the previous owner took the 6gun and IQ but left the Ram Air and exhaust. So I bought one figuring that is what the previous owner had and probably I could use. Though even with that I'm too scared to play with it much. I too keep it on level 2 though I don't know if I'm actually getting any better mileage.

I can live with the poor gas mileage as I kind of figured that was what I was getting myself into getting this beast.

I love this truck but a little concerned cause I'm not an experienced owner and afraidvim going to do something not stupid but rather something wrong since I'm a novice. I bought this truck to pull my 5th and I just don't want to get stranded with my wife, four yr old son and two dogs.

Any tips or diesel for dummies cheat list you could hook me up with. thanks man and I really appreciate your input as well as all the others on this post.

Geoff

Quick Reply: New, confused and need guidance