1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

updates in Nav system from Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Smegolas
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
updates in Nav system from Ford?

Hi. Im looking at buying a 2012 F250. Im considering the Nav system option, partially because I like the bigger view for the rear view camera for hooking up my trailer. But regarding the actual navigation, does Ford provide updates to it as roads and addresses change like you would get with a TomTom? Or are you stuck in 2011 forever?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had system updates for my Sync (2010 F-350), but nothing for the nav component. I think updates are available for purchase only.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Smegolas
New User
can anyone confirm this? if i cant either get them from ford or purchase them, im not going for the nav system.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car/trucks navi systems are one of the biggest rip-offs IMHO. They are extremely expensive and DON'T WORK TOO WELL.
I had one that each time I was driving under the trees on mountain road -the GPS was placing me in the middle of the lake near by.
So even having build -in system, I was taking my laptop with $19 antenna/software from Delorme that would allow me explore the maps the way car navi will never do.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Updates aren't available except by purchase only. Last I saw they were $199 for the upgrade.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Navteq will tell you to call Ford, Ford will tell you to call Navteq.

No complaints here from the navi in my truck (factory).

Here's the info from the '11 manual if you want to follow up:

ORDERING MAP, NAVIGATION SOFTWARE AND GRACENOTE
UPDATE DVDS

If you wish to order a replacement or additional map, or an updated
DVD, please contact Ford Customer Service.
• In USA: 1 (800) 392–3673
• In Canada: 1 (800) 565–3673.
• In Mexico: 1 (800) 719–8466

SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATES
NAVTEQ offers system software updates for purchase. You can call
1-888-NAVMAPS or go to NAVTEQ Maps and Traffic. You will need to specify the
make and model of you vehicle in order to determine if a map update is
available. Updates for the Gracenote database (CDDB) that contain
CD song/artist/title/album art are available. There is no charge for the
data, however, there is a nominal shipping and materials fee. Mapping
updates will be available yearly. Gracenote database (CDDB) database
updates are complimentary when a map update is purchased.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM
jmiley
Senior User
I have a 2012 Lariat with the Navigation, main reason I bought the navigation was for the back up camera being displayed on the nav unit, the navigation isn't very good, a $150 Garmin is a lot better, than the $1800 Ford Nav unit.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I give the Nav 3 out of 5 stars. The larger camera and movie option (for my kids) are 5 stars. Having said that, I probably would't pay for it again.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 PM
RAPR
Senior User
I like the Nav mainly bc of the larger view of the rear camera, the camera view in the mirror was pathetic. if you have Sirius, it also displays the weather, sport scores, and other cool stuff using 'TravelLink'. Having a Sirius subscription also provides live traffic for navigation. The maps on the Nav were out of date the moment I got the truck home. There was a main highway by my house that was extended, but the Nav doesn't show it. I read somewhere the map updates were $399, so I will stick with the Navigon app on my iPhone.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RAPR
The maps on the Nav were out of date the moment I got the truck home. There was a main highway by my house that was extended, but the Nav doesn't show it. I read somewhere the map updates were $399, so I will stick with the Navigon app on my iPhone.
The mapping update is done by government. While GPS software takes just weeks to update, government needs average 6 years. My 2009 mapping doesn't show main freeway (210) that was open in Los Angeles area in 2004. When I drive on it -it shows swamps and the voice (has to be female) keeps on nagging me to turn around.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 AM
RAPR
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
The mapping update is done by government. While GPS software takes just weeks to update, government needs average 6 years. My 2009 mapping doesn't show main freeway (210) that was open in Los Angeles area in 2004. When I drive on it -it shows swamps and the voice (has to be female) keeps on nagging me to turn around.
That statement is not 100% correct. Both my Navigon and TomTom had the roads updated by the time I purchased my truck. GPS companies obtain their road information from private data companies, such as Navteq. Some GPS companies are just too fruggle to pay for more frequent map updates.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 AM
RickBetterley
Senior User
The mapping update is done by government.
If you mean the maps themselves, are you sure about that? I thought Navteq was the big provider to Garmin and others. Google and TeleAtlas are competitors of Navteq.
Government provides the GPS system, of course. I may have misunderstood your comment.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 AM
richsoucie
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i just bought one of those 7" in dash units made in china it came with a camera. the system runs wince 6 and can run nav programs from tom tom, garmin, igo and a few others also has ipod dock front usb in and rear aux in got one for the wifes car to. total cost for both units was a little less than $400

Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RickBetterley
If you mean the maps themselves, are you sure about that? I thought Navteq was the big provider to Garmin and others. Google and TeleAtlas are competitors of Navteq.
Government provides the GPS system, of course. I may have misunderstood your comment.
Satelites are provided by government and they fail quite often, what I think is triggered by national security, but no GPS company sends survey crew to measure new roads. This is government job and GPS providers only take what government supply.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Satelites are provided by government and they fail quite often, what I think is triggered by national security, but no GPS company sends survey crew to measure new roads. This is government job and GPS providers only take what government supply.
Actually, the corporation Google did actually survey (along with cameras) when they collected the data for "Street View". Besides the point, your argument still does not explain the plain and simple fact that some GPS software companies provide map updates almost days after new roads are built...while others take months or years to update their maps to include the same exact road.

Example: next time you come across a new road that's not on your newly purchased GPS, check and see if 'Google Maps' has it updated....they sometimes have roads updated on their maps before road construction is even complete.

Quick Reply: updates in Nav system from Ford?