6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I think my 6.0 just ruined itself. I need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my 6.0 just ruined itself. I need some advice.

I've been putting off the inevitible. My 6.0 has been losing coolant and its not leaking anywhere. The factory put a new egr cooler on it a year ago but would'nt change anything else under warranty, so its been getting worse over the last 6 months but I've been feeding it coolant and even did a flush in hopes of prolonging its life. I just pulled in the drive and engine oil is literally pouring out from under the truck and it must have happened a few miles back because oil is all the back of the truck as well. I;m waiting on it to quit raining black gold under my truck before I go under to see exactly wher its coming from. Anybody ever have this happen?

Old 03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, not with the losing of coolant but the oil gush! It was coming from the Hpop cover. Don't ask! But mine only leaked while running. Check your degas bottle do you see contamination there? Do you have a aftermarket coolant gauge?

Old 03-26-2012, 04:32 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Could be the plastic filter cap. They sometimes crack. Well, we can hope.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

I have a SG II. The last time I looked at it (about 15 miles from home) there was a 13 degree spread. EOT was 203. I can't even see anything in the degas bottle right now and I just filled it back up 2 days ago, so I can't tell if there is any contamination there. I just got under it and the majority of it looks to be up in the drivers side from somewhere above the oil pan but it's still too hot and for me to feel around up there.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

Originally Posted by bpounds
Could be the plastic filter cap. They sometimes crack. Well, we can hope.

Good luck.
I wish it was the plastic filter cap. It's not though. My luck isn't that good.
Thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Could it be a line to the hydra boost (P/S) pump? Is the oil level bad low on the stick?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Could it be a line to the hydra boost (P/S) pump? Is the oil level bad low on the stick?
The engine oil isn't even showing up on the dipstick and I just checked it 2 days ago and it was fine. It appears to have came out somewhere above the transmission but I can't tell for sure where.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

As soon as I put it in park, I smelled oil burning, so I popped the hood and as I was walking around to the front I saw oil literally pouring out on the concrete. There was a trail from my drive all the way down the street to the highway. It led to about huge puddle under my truck.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
If it looked like it was coming from the transmission but its engine oil, my guess would be rear main seal, i saw a 7.3 do that one day oil literally pouring to the ground, huge puddle

Old 03-26-2012, 05:53 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

Originally Posted by lakewood
If it looked like it was coming from the transmission but its engine oil, my guess would be rear main seal, i saw a 7.3 do that one day oil literally pouring to the ground, huge puddle
I was wondering about that but just didn't think it could have been because of how high up the oil is. It's hard to tell where it came from. I can only tell that it starts somewhere higher above the transmission but the bottom of my truck is covered from between the transmission and the engine, all the way back to the rear bumper. I can't find a trace of oil on top of the engine just lifting the hood. There doesn't appear to be a drop of oil in it but I'm about to go drain the oil pan just to see.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by timmytoes
I was wondering about that but just didn't think it could have been because of how high up the oil is. It's hard to tell where it came from. I can only tell that it starts somewhere higher above the transmission but the bottom of my truck is covered from between the transmission and the engine, all the way back to the rear bumper. I can't find a trace of oil on top of the engine just lifting the hood. There doesn't appear to be a drop of oil in it but I'm about to go drain the oil pan just to see.
hmmm, if it was the rear main in would just be where the trans and engine meet. Get a flash light and check down into the valley of the motor, and all over for that matter, and go from there.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
If it's not coming from the degas bottle as I suggested in my PM then check the heater hose that runs across the back of the motor/firewall and see if it's coming from there. I still think you popped an oil cooler. You'd have to have a MAJOR catastrophis failure of somekind for it to be a rear main. Check the turbo oil drain line also.

Originally Posted by raptor131
Yes, not with the losing of coolant but the oil gush! It was coming from the Hpop cover. Don't ask! But mine only leaked while running. Check your degas bottle do you see contamination there? Do you have a aftermarket coolant gauge?
I have to ask.............

Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
My truck lived at gene Evans ford in union city georgia before I bought it, let's just say they were learning basic mechanics on my truck

Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by raptor131
My truck lived at gene Evans ford in union city georgia before I bought it, let's just say they were learning basic mechanics on my truck
OH........Like how to not install gaskets and permatex???

Old 03-26-2012, 06:44 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
Hear that everyone? Don't take your diesel truck into Gen Evans Ford in Uniion City, GA

Quick Reply: I think my 6.0 just ruined itself. I need some advice.