1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Real world choices and our trucks (some thoughts)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah I know
But they make bellhousing to put a T56 on Ford engines, and there's a couple other 5 or 6 speeds out there that can work with some custom work as well. Best of all worlds. Ford actually used the T56 in a few things like the Cobra for a couple years. And since it's made by Tremec I don't really see it as swapping in a Chevy or GM part (not that I care if you do) as Ford use it just like they used Dana or Easton axles in somethings. Might be found in a Chevy, but it doesn't makes it a chevy part necessarily. (again, don't care if you use Chevy parts in your truck, but to those wanting an 'all Ford' build...)

And that's the nice thing about these trucks, we're all pretty good at making what ever we want work in them. I for one am looking forward to modern conveniences like power windows, keyless entry, and heated seats, oh goodness yes, heated seats, lol. I was even going to put GPS and everything else in it till I realized I have a smart phone and don't need it, lol.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice thread ,I like my garden rescue 54 ,it is rotten rusty,loud , only half of the dash works.but it is still as much fun as my Bemmer with all it's luxury comfort ..I have learned not to give a damm about mileage ,if it's running right ,if it feels good , that's all I want , all I need ...I don't have a working fuel gauge in the 54 , or a speedo ..so I feed her when I go out and carry a gas jug ..I like to sit in the truck watching the smiles of the people going by and thinking ,,,it doesn't get any better .. my truck my time ..it's a great day..

Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Oh, and just a thought if you ever run across the "you're killing the environment driving a big V8 truck" person; Remind them that you're truck is greener than anything that you can buy because it was already made and you have recycled it. That the amount of energy use to make a new car as well as fuel from shipping parts already makes a new car 'in the red' so much it will never get out, and to destroy old ones and melt down the steel again takes a tremendous amount of fuel. Far, far, far more than could ever be used in an engine that go 0.5 gallons to the mile in it's existence. Sure, if you buy a new one that needs to be made arguments can be made, but not with Vintage.

Driving vintage is about as green as you can go. So stick that in your Prius and go Hipster somewhere else, lol.
Zactly! I've said the same thing to plenty of folks out here in the Democratic Republik of California, and usually get bafflement, or that condescending look from Smart People who just saw the latest thing on HuffPo on their Ipad and they know what is best for you. A new car is made of thousands of components that take energy to create, and metal that needs to be mined or remelted, and plastic parts made from their Great Satan, oil. Buying a new Prius or Volt or whatever for "green" reasons is just stupid. A used car or truck is a done deal, it's impact on the environment is done aside from fuel consumption and maintenance, and if green is the goal a new car ain't it. All that manufacturing is good for making jobs, tho.

Ok I'm done venting.

A nicely tuned 223 is a good compromise of thrift and power for a truck. Just use your gears and drive like you want you and your cargo to get there safely, not faster than the next rat in the maze.

And if getting there with a big fat torquey grin is your pleasure, that's cool too. But it's like what the Jaguar salesman said to my father-in-law when he asked about MPG on the XJS; "You're buying a Jag, don't worry about it".