6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bed lights install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM
gelato583
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed lights install help

I just got my recon bed light kit that has 4 led pods for each side of the bed. Anybody got any tips for the install?? There is no way to put them on to the truck at a good angle to light up the bed.... Do I have to make mounting brackets or is there something that you can buy that will work better??n please let me know I want to get these on.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't remember what brand I bought but they have the little pods spaced out....

I just used the double sided sticky tape and put them on the angled area between the underside of the bed rail and the bed sides.
This has them pointed toward the center of the bed.

_

Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 PM
R6acer
Freshman User
theres an angled portion under the bed rail. i installed mine there and it lights the bed up quite nicely

Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As the others have said, I think you will find plenty of angle on the curve of the bed under the rail. I just stuck mine up under there and they work fine. Don't be discouraged if they don't seem like much light when you first install them during daylight hours. Even with my bed cover I thought I had wasted my time installing the Recon lights, but they work great in the dark!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Paratrooper84
Freshman User
Here is the link to Recons website.

Recon Accessories: Downloads

If you scroll down the page (middle of page) you will see one of the boxes with this heading. "RECON Bed Rail Light Kit Install Instructions Part # 26417"

Click on it for an idea on how to install your lights. I haven't done it yet but I like this idea better then putting tape on the backside and sticking it to the bed of the truck. I can only imagine with Michigan weather that the tape will only last so long.

Take pictures of your install. I'm interested on how you wire it up, as my kit came with missing parts and no directions and more importantly I'm electrically challenged!

Thanks

Jon

Old 03-22-2012, 11:18 AM
gelato583
Freshman User
I want to put them on that angled part of the rails it would make the install a breeze. I am just worried that this isnt angled enough. Those of you that have installed them there, do you have a '11 or newer super duty?? Just wondering if we're all talkin bout the same truck. If so I will install today.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Originally Posted by gelato583
I want to put them on that angled part of the rails it would make the install a breeze. I am just worried that this isnt angled enough. Those of you that have installed them there, do you have a '11 or newer super duty?? Just wondering if we're all talkin bout the same truck. If so I will install today.
<----- installed on a 2011 F250 short bed. I wired mine to an upfitter switch.

I also agree that the lights seem inadequate during the daytime, but they really do shine good at night.
Work great to light up my fifth wheel hitch and also just generally being able to see in the bed and when the bed cover is closed.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:11 PM
RickBetterley
Senior User
Lots of good info on this thread, though its not Recon-specific: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-of-truck.html

Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM
mach8274
Tuned
Here are mine-installed on the angled portion of the bed...
these pics are taken during the day but the truck is backed into my garage. They light up the bed perfectly at night.

before...

After...

I wired mine to the tail light circuit behind the left tail light assembly. I did this because I don't want to have to turn the ignition on every time I need the light in the bed. All I have to do is either hit the unlock button on the remote or turn the park lights on. They are on a switch so that they aren't on every time the tail lights are on.

Here's a pic of the switch I used...

Looking up at the lights...

Good luck with the install.

Dave

Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dave,

That is exactly how I did mine. I didn't want a constantly hot wire running back there and I figured it was the easiest way to power the lights when the truck isn't running. I can walk up to the truck at night in a parking lot, open the tailgate, flip the switch and press the key fob then I have light. If I am in the truck and need to get into the bed for something at night, chances are the parking lights are already on. If the parking lights time out, I just press the key fob again. It just doesn't get much easier.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:32 PM
mach8274
Tuned
Agree 100% Matt. No wires to run (except for the lights themselves) and very easy to turn on/off. No turning ignition on for the upfitter to operate.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
gelato583
Freshman User
Cool. Thanks for the help guys. I will do the install next week.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:46 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Originally Posted by mach8274
I wired mine to the tail light circuit behind the left tail light assembly. I did this because I don't want to have to turn the ignition on every time I need the light in the bed. All I have to do is either hit the unlock button on the remote or turn the park lights on. They are on a switch so that they aren't on every time the tail lights are on.

Dave
Great idea !!!

I am going to put this on my list of to-do.
Alot better than running them off an upfitter (like I have now).
And it will open up an upfitter switch for my next mod.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 PM
DrillbitTailor
Junior User
Thanks for the great ideas and wiring suggestions! I haven't done it yet, but a quick look on Amazon shows several choices and a much better price on the one used here than on their website. Like $87 vs $119. There are a couple of choices under $50. Wiring to the tailight is an awesome idea.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM
mikespecht
Senior User
It souds like the tape for the lights works well to hold them in place, at leaste on the Recon lights. After reading a few reviews about the Recon lights it sounds like they have had some problems with some of the lights not working almost right after install, and they might not want to cover the warranty if you purchased from amazon or ebay. Some say they cover them, others say they have tried to get them replaced under warranty and they wouldn't. Probably up to the person on the phone by the sound of it.

On another note hot glue seems like it could be used to hold the lights in place or 3M Very High Bond Tapes (VHB). Do a google search for the 3M Very High Bond Tapes (VHB) and you will see that it has some serious holding power. But you have to purchase it from a commercial supply because it's not ment for the common household use. Here is a link for the tape http://www.mcmaster.com/#3m-4929-tape/=i4dkli

Quick Reply: Bed lights install help