Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Wanna Share Your Local Restaurant Reviews?....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Mike - Thanks. I've eaten there twice, and wasn't impressed either time. So no wonder they closed. Not even close to Luigi's here in Skiatook.

And, you are right - that's a bad location. Also, Fastenal is further back in there - even harder to find.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:23 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a taco truck at 41st and Garnett called El Refugio Azteca. Best street tacos and tortas in town. You can get lunch for $5 and wont be disappointed.They also have one at 21st and 129th. It's he same, but much slower than the 41st location.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:06 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They pretty much roll up the sidewalks around here on Sundays but if you're looking for a great breakfast or a home cooked meal on any other day of the week you should try the Gemini Coffee Shop in Idabel. It a great place to eat and hang out with the regular crowd. For you Texans coming up to Hochatown or Beavers Bend State Park, It's located in the Jumper Shopping Center.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:11 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I will keep that in mind if we get down to Idabel. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Haha, good Ol' Owasso. i had a girl there once. Got a ticket one time coming back to Tulsa while riding with her and not paying attention to the speed limit or the huge cop car sitting out in the open median. Good times.

I'll have to try the BBQ joint next time we're up there. Never heard of them before.

Taco bueno though, always tasted like canned dog food to me. I prefer Taco Bell.

Joe's Crab shack is run by a sweaty coke addict. Seriously. Wife used to work there and could tell you some stories about cleanliness and employee funnies. We don't eat there.

Any time we go through Tulsa now we stop and eat at Zios. so good, if a bit crowded. The waitstaff is always great and the food will make a puppy pull a locomotive. It's that good. Right off 71st street IIRC.

Around OKC we like:

• Johnny Carino's off Memorial for Italian.
  • Mexican is Teds off 2nd street in Edmond.
  • Home cooking with a nice atmosphere is Charlestons off Broadway in Edmond.
  • Steak is ONLY good at one place - Longhorn Steakhouse on Memorial. All the other places we have in the city are crap. Your grandmother could make better steak on a hotplate in an outhouse.
  • Chinese food, well we haven't really found a good one around here.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:12 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Glowplugger
  • Chinese food, well we haven't really found a good one around here.
Same problem is in the Denver area... Chicago (where I'm from) has lots of good ethnic food, not so much here in Denver.

I visit Gary in Podunk and sometimes get to stop/see various places on my way out there.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:41 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Same problem is in the Denver area... Chicago (where I'm from) has lots of good ethnic food, not so much here in Denver.

I visit Gary in Podunk and sometimes get to stop/see various places on my way out there.
Translation: Podunk = Skiatook.

But we don't have good Chinese food. However, P. F. Chang's in Tulsa is good.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bruno2
There is a taco truck at 41st and Garnett called El Refugio Azteca. Best street tacos and tortas in town. You can get lunch for $5 and wont be disappointed.They also have one at 21st and 129th. It's he same, but much slower than the 41st location.
Hey, I used to work at the Days inn off 41st and Garnet. First "real" job I got after moving to OK. Nothing good was ever around there though. Just hookers and um...Bad guys. Glad to see there's a bright spot! I might run through there next time I'm in town.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:19 AM
SoonerLS
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked a bad day to find this thread. I don't normally like ribs (too much work and mess for not enough payoff), but I'd drive to Davis for Smokin' Joe's ribs. Of course, I say that, then I usually get brisket. Whatever I get, I never leave hungry.

One of my dad's friends is the step-father of the owner's wife, so he goes down there often, and many's the time he's brought back an uncut sheet of ribs for my dad. Oh, man, are those some good eats.

Alas, they're closed on "church days," and today is Wednesday...

Jake's Rib in Chickasha is pretty good, and their portions are huge. I ate there with my dad last fall; my chicken fried steak was actually two decent-sized chicken fried steaks, and the french fries came on their own plate, stacked so high that it looked like they'd dumped the entire contents of the fryer basket on the plate.

It's not often that I have to get a to-go box, but I had to take nearly half of what I got home with me--and I should've quit eating sooner. I was stuffed to the gills.