Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Strider007 Strider007 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Strider007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help - Fuse Box Replacement - 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Hello,

I have been searching the forums and have seen several threads regarding the problems with these fuse boxes, but I haven't been able to find the information I am looking for about the actual work required to swap it out.

History:
The vehicle started dying randomly here and there, but it would always start back up. Then one time it finally died and wouldn't start back up at all, and there was a small amount of smoke coming from the fuse box, behind the relays. It still cranks, but never starts up.

I checked all of the relays and fuses, and everything looked good, but it still wouldn't start. So we had to have it towed to the dealership. They told me that the fuse box is burnt up inside and that I would have to wait more than 3 weeks for a replacement part due to them being on backorder.

Where I am now:
I ventured out on my own and found a brand new fuse box, and it will be here tomorrow. The problem is that the dealership wants a stupid amount of money just to swap out the parts.

I usually do my own work on the truck and the bike, and to me this part looks like it is just plug and play (the parts shop I ordered from said that the module doesn't require any additional programming). The fuse box is easily accessible in the passenger side kick panel as well. So I'm not sure why the dealership charges so much to swap it out with the new one.

I want to perform the work myself, so here are my questions:
Has anybody done the swap out on a 2003 Expedition
who could provide some information on the process?
Is there a how-to somewhere? (I have searched and haven't found any so far)
How hard is it really?
How long do you think it should take me to do it?

Thanks,
Strider


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Strider007 Strider007 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Strider007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow, 143 views and no replies. I guess I will have to reply to this myself in case anybody else ever needs help with this.

So, I did the swap in less than 20 minutes.

Tools Required:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- You will need a 7/16" socket and a 10mm socket
- You will also need an extension for it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts Required:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Fuse Box (part number 3L1Z-14A068-AA or 3L1Z-14A068-AB, depending on the build date of your Expedition)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Remove the passenger side kick panel that covers the fuse box.

2. Pull the rubber door seal off just a bit so you can remove the other plastic piece that goes right next to the kick panel you just removed.

3. Unplug all of the wires from the face and right hand side of the fuse box.

4. Use the 7/16" socket to remove the nut that holds the fuse box to the chassis (it's on the right hand side of the fuse box). Be careful not to drop the nut into the abyss that is beneath the fuse box.

5. Rotate the fuse box to unhook it from the chassis and expose the back of it.

6. Unplug the wire for the back of the fuse box.

7. Remove the plastic cover from the ground wire on the left hand side of the fuse box to expose the nut that holds it on.

8. Use the 10mm socket to remove the nut that holds the ground wire on the fuse box. Once again, be careful not to drop the nut into the abyss that is beneath the fuse box.

9. The fuse box should be free now.

10. Reinstall the new fuse box in the reverse order. Once again, be careful not to drop the nuts into the abyss that is beneath the fuse box when you are putting them back on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Strider
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 PM
2trux 2trux is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 145
2trux is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your write-up makes it sound as if you may have dropped one of those bolt/nuts into that abyss you mentioned.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Strider007 Strider007 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Strider007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2trux View Post
Your write-up makes it sound as if you may have dropped one of those bolt/nuts into that abyss you mentioned.
No, but I almost did!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 AM
63Green's Avatar
63Green 63Green is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
63Green is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's an odd repair to have to make - was it just a bad fuse box or did you find what caused the box to fry?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Strider007 Strider007 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Strider007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Green View Post
That's an odd repair to have to make - was it just a bad fuse box or did you find what caused the box to fry?
Actually, for this year model, it's unfortunately not that odd. The original fuse boxes are prone to overheating and burning out. There were also some issues with moisture on a lot of the these as well (either from an improperly sealed windshield, or from the A/C system).

I didn't see any moisture issues with mine, so it was just the badly engineered fuse box. The new part is updated to correct this issue.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-27-2012, 12:35 PM
63Green's Avatar
63Green 63Green is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
63Green is starting off with a positive reputation.
great - I've got an 03 EB. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-04-2012, 08:55 PM
mayor mayor is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 111
mayor is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this is an old thread. But i'm getting ready to do the same thing on the wifes 04 EB. It would stop running and start right back up and finally after a year or more, it would not start. Everyone said fuel pump so i replaced the fuel pump still no fuel. I have searched and finally came across another thread just like yours it even tells how to power certain wires to get the fuel pump to run. To be sure it is the problem.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
mayor mayor is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 111
mayor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well it is the problem. Jumpered the fuel pump wire at the plug on the fuse block engine started. Pulled the fuse block and the relay is smoked. Have to order the new part 344.07$ One would think this would be a recall issue. I love my Fords but this is just plain poor engineering. None removable relays????????????????????? WTF
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Strider007 Strider007 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Strider007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm glad this thread helped!

That's odd that you can't replace the relays. Mine had several removable relays in it, but they were all good.

Also, you may be able to find your fuse box cheaper at the place I got mine: www.autopartscheaper.com
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-05-2012, 03:29 PM
mayor mayor is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 111
mayor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Already order it. 366.43 with tax
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Colin Moore Colin Moore is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
Colin Moore is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interior Fuse Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider007 View Post
Wow, 143 views and no replies. I guess I will have to reply to this myself in case anybody else ever needs help with this.

So, I did the swap in less than 20 minutes.

Tools Required:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- You will need a 7/16" socket and a 10mm socket
- You will also need an extension for it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts Required:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Fuse Box (part number 3L1Z-14A068-AA or 3L1Z-14A068-AB, depending on the build date of your Expedition)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Remove the passenger side kick panel that covers the fuse box.

2. Pull the rubber door seal off just a bit so you can remove the other plastic piece that goes right next to the kick panel you just removed.

3. Unplug all of the wires from the face and right hand side of the fuse box.

4. Use the 7/16" socket to remove the nut that holds the fuse box to the chassis (it's on the right hand side of the fuse box). Be careful not to drop the nut into the abyss that is beneath the fuse box.

5. Rotate the fuse box to unhook it from the chassis and expose the back of it.

6. Unplug the wire for the back of the fuse box.

7. Remove the plastic cover from the ground wire on the left hand side of the fuse box to expose the nut that holds it on.

8. Use the 10mm socket to remove the nut that holds the ground wire on the fuse box. Once again, be careful not to drop the nut into the abyss that is beneath the fuse box.

9. The fuse box should be free now.

10. Reinstall the new fuse box in the reverse order. Once again, be careful not to drop the nuts into the abyss that is beneath the fuse box when you are putting them back on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Strider
I think I have this same issue on my 2003. I do not get any error message, it has stalled a few times over the last couple of weeks, even while driving. I changed the fuel filter a couple of days ago, but it did the same thing again today. Starts straight up again so far. Is there any way to confirm that you know of before risking the $300+? It does seem a perfect fit to the symptoms, I guess I am just wishing for a cheaper easy fix!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Hooie2013 Hooie2013 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 25
Hooie2013 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe I need to do this on my 2000 Navigator 5.4. It seems to be very common in Ford's.
1) I would like to know how you figured out your fuse box was bad?
2) Was it just one that was bad? I think my CJB, possible GEM, and interior fuse box is bad. The box is not testing but fuses are good.
3) Any programming needed?
4) Did you have to replace any wires?
I am stuck and no one seems to know.
Thanks so much!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Strider007 Strider007 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Strider007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Moore View Post
I think I have this same issue on my 2003. I do not get any error message, it has stalled a few times over the last couple of weeks, even while driving. I changed the fuel filter a couple of days ago, but it did the same thing again today. Starts straight up again so far. Is there any way to confirm that you know of before risking the $300+? It does seem a perfect fit to the symptoms, I guess I am just wishing for a cheaper easy fix!
That is the same thing mine was doing. It would just die, and then it would start right back up when I turned the key. Then one day it died, and a little smoke came out of the fuse box area down by the passenger's feet when I tried to start it, but it would not start again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooie2013 View Post
I believe I need to do this on my 2000 Navigator 5.4. It seems to be very common in Ford's.
1) I would like to know how you figured out your fuse box was bad?
2) Was it just one that was bad? I think my CJB, possible GEM, and interior fuse box is bad. The box is not testing but fuses are good.
3) Any programming needed?
4) Did you have to replace any wires?
I am stuck and no one seems to know.
Thanks so much!!!!
1. There was smoke coming from that area. I had it towed to a dealer when it wouldn't start, and they confirmed it was the fuse box.

2. It was just the one (I think the GEM is integrated with the fuse box in my year model).

3. No programming for my year model (I'm not sure about the 2000, but the GEM may require programming).

4. No, I didn't have to replace any wires.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Colin Moore Colin Moore is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
Colin Moore is starting off with a positive reputation.
I finally got fed up of driving my wife's expedition pimped in leopard, because she would not trust it. It would still cut out, sometimes within a few minutes, other times a week or so apart. I decided to take a leap of faith a few days ago, found the fuse box for $290 at gaudinford.com incl shipping - switched it out myself Monday with the instructions posted above. It did take me about an hour or so, wanted to be sure not to break any wires with the numerous connections from every angle. So far so good!!!! Wish me luck.
A special THANK YOU to Strider007.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2003, 2004, 3l1z14a068aa, bauer, block, box, eddie, expedition, f150, ford, fuse, image, location, panel, replacement, truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Info Request - '00 Ex v10 won't start jmh944911 Excursion - King of SUVs 8 03-13-2014 12:40 PM
3G conversion DeeV8er 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 10 10-27-2013 07:25 AM
Mods, Maintenance, and Life(long and kind of pic heavy) redman84 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 17 05-29-2013 12:38 PM
2011 6.7L Powerstroke and ScanGauge II XGAUGE codes swengle 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2 03-05-2013 05:47 PM
GP & GPR System megawatt00 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 52 09-25-2012 06:01 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup