Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Posting Guru

78bigbronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
weight scales

Ok, would like to weigh my truck but not sure what to expect. On my highway exit there is a flying J and a pilot and I beleive they both have a sign up for certified scales. I haul firewood quite a lot, and unsure of if I'm actually overweight, I'm pretty sure I am. Also the trailer too. I got in late last night from the farm, fully loaded still, thinking I might drive it to the scales before I unload it to check, then go back later after its empty to get a base weight.

So whats to expect? Are they like self service or do you have to go into somewhere... I hate feeling like I'm an idiot the first time I do things lol.

Plus if I am overweight maybe it would go a ways to convince the wife to let me get a bigger trailer.

09 F-350 V10 4x4 6spd CC/8' ordered 5/26/09 delivered 7/6/09
99 F-150 V6 4x4 5spd RegCab/Short bed
78 Big Bronco 4x4 (a work in progress)
Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Elder User

MauleOne is starting off with a positive reputation.
Scales

Never tried Flying J but last truck stop scales I used had me drive on the scales before I went in to collect report.

I remember that they asked me if I wanted certifyed report or not. I didn't so they didn't charge me. Only charged if the report had to be certified. Just had me drive on the scales, gave me the numbers over the CB and off I went.

We used CB to communicate. I don't remember what channel they were on. Probably 19.

How about calling them on your cell phone.

Don't worry about being over weight. They don't care and don't report it.

How much do you think you weigh?

I remember being surprised how much my F350 weighed. It think it ran about 7.5K lbs empty.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Elder User

pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
CAT scales are the most common. Pull around to the scale, put front axle on the front pad and rear on the back pad. Punch the intercom button, give them your truck number (whatever suits you), go inside pay $15 and get your weight ticket. Do this with a full tank of fuel and you for a baseline. (we carry this in each of the fleet), then repeat the process loaded.
'12 Transit Connect Java Van
I don't get muddy, don't get dusty, don't pull trailers, but do play in the snow and ice.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Posting Guru

PA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputation
while in the military moving from place to place we needed to use scales during the move. just pull on the scales and go inside to the counter. those scale operators have seen it all, they will help you with no problems

Mark
Pa chapter member
Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Posting Guru

kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeering View Post
CAT scales are the most common. Pull around to the scale, put front axle on the front pad and rear on the back pad. Punch the intercom button, give them your truck number (whatever suits you), go inside pay $15 and get your weight ticket. Do this with a full tank of fuel and you for a baseline. (we carry this in each of the fleet), then repeat the process loaded.
The CAT scales I've used are totally automated, no person to talk to. You just swipe a credit card and it prints out your weight slip.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Posting Guru

Quad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
The CAT scales I've used are totally automated, no person to talk to. You just swipe a credit card and it prints out your weight slip.
Thats what I'm talkin about. I'll have to do a search locally I'd kinda like to know even though I don't tow/haul heavy.

08 XLT 250 CC V10 4.10 - 5 Star tunes (giddyup),18"x9" XD Addicts, 295 70 18 Trail Grapplers, Prestige fender flares, side marker lights
2001 E 250 Work beast

Jason
Old 03-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Elder User

Big_Al59 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The dump/incinerator out here charges by the pound so they weigh your rig coming and going.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
That would be nice if the ones here are automated. I kind of wondered that since its so far away from the building. Its up against the far side of the lot opposite the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauleOne View Post
I remember that they asked me if I wanted certifyed report or not. I didn't so they didn't charge me. Only charged if the report had to be certified. Just had me drive on the scales, gave me the numbers over the CB and off I went.

We used CB to communicate. I don't remember what channel they were on. Probably 19.

How about calling them on your cell phone.

Don't worry about being over weight. They don't care and don't report it.

How much do you think you weigh?

I remember being surprised how much my F350 weighed. It think it ran about 7.5K lbs empty.
Well I've never put a cb in my new truck yet, couldnt come up with an antenna arrangment that would work. Still trying to figure out how to make it work without going with a crappy antenna. Main concern in garage door height of like ~8'. Yeah I suspect 7000-7500 base weight but would like to know for sure. I'm not worried about them thinking I am overweight (they wouldnt even know what the gvwr on my particular truck and trailer is anyhow), I'm worried about the cops thinking I am overweight if I get pulled over. Plus if I am, then I could also see lawsuits/insurance issues if I happen to get into a wreck or something when I am overweight. If I'm under or close then I'll continue doing what I'm doing. But if I am over by too much I'll start looking for a bigger trailer.

I know I have hauled around 6000 in the bed when I hauled landscape stones and it was pretty much touching the bumpstops even sitting level. That was too much. This last trip I had two fingers between the bump stops, I'm guessing ~4,000#. But I'm more worried about the trailer. Its built heavy, but only 3500# axles. Weighs about 1400# so only about 1 ton capacity. I think the tires are just load range C and they tend to get warm. I limit highway speeds to 55. I want to either upgrade the axle on the trailer or get a bigger trailer to get brakes too. A 3500# trailer is no biggie for the truck but when its loaded and the truck is loaded I figure I'm pulling an extra 7-9k with no extra brakes. The truck seemed to brake just fine with this load but I know its hard on the brakes. Priced out an new 5k axle w/ brakes, new wheels and tires, and I might as well buy a used car hauler style trailer or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeering View Post
CAT scales are the most common. Pull around to the scale, put front axle on the front pad and rear on the back pad.
I assume I can also include the trailer on the scales?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Elder User

pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You can weigh it all.

Go to the truck stop of your choice when they aren't busy, and you will be all set. Most I have been to are very friendly and helpful.

We use several and have base weight tickets with and without snow gear. Better to know than to wonder......

As for GVWR, should be on the door pillar.
'12 Transit Connect Java Van
I don't get muddy, don't get dusty, don't pull trailers, but do play in the snow and ice.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Posting Guru

Quad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to all
I would definately recommend a trailer with brakes. The trucks brakes may seem fine but if overworked they will heat up and be uneffective.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Elder User

MauleOne is starting off with a positive reputation.
Weight

Really on the brakes. By the time you realize that your brakes are over heating it will be too late. You will need a brake over haul at the least and at the worst you could be in an accident.

Then you will have legal problems.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Posting Guru

kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.
Most states have laws regarding the use of trailer brakes. I know here in MN any trailer over 3000 lbs is required to have brakes.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Posting Guru

I really do want to get brakes. Just got to convince the other half to let me buy a bigger trailer. Edited: I did just look up ohio revised code laws and found it did say trailers 2k empty or more must have brakes. I have no idea why they would care about empty weight and not loaded, who knows, but I guess I'm good there.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Posting Guru

Here you go, Ohio requires brakes on any trailer with an empty weight over 2000 lbs.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/
Old 03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Quote:
Most states have laws regarding the use of trailer brakes. I know here in MN any trailer over 3000 lbs is required to have brakes.
Is that loaded or empty?

I put brakes on our pop-up trailer which I want to say is around 2,000-2,500lbs and that sure is nice.
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 03-20-2012, 01:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2004, 450, cat, drive, f150, f450, ford, scale, scales, slip, state, trucks, wa, weigh, weight