6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

DC power alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:11 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DC power alternator

I just ordered myself a DC power 185 amp alternator, hopefully its here by Friday because my stock alternator is getting worse.
Anyone running a DC alternator? How do you like it?

Old 03-18-2012, 01:26 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Love mine only had about 8 months though charging as strong now as the dday I got it

Did you get the wire upgrade with it

Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Love mine only had about 8 months though charging as strong now as the dday I got it

Did you get the wire upgrade with it
No i didnt get the upgrade, figured id be ok cause i got the 185

Old 03-18-2012, 03:17 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by lakewood
No i didnt get the upgrade, figured id be ok cause i got the 185

When I talked with them the wire upgrade is recomended I got the wire upgrade for free from them so IDK how much they charge for it.

Its Not a Big Deal you can Make your Own Basicaly its just a Battery Cable with a Fuse inline with it

Check my pics out and just make your own

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - BLADE35's Album: DC Power Alternator & Wire Upgrade

Notice the red battery cable there is a grey part of the wire right where it bolts to the Alternator thats the Fusable link. Not shure of the rating of it. But High Binder also made his own wire upgrade and he said they told him to run an 250amp fuse in that line But IIRC he got the 185 or 190amp alternator so why they told him to install a Fuse thats more then the Output rating of the Alternator is Beyond Me seems like you would want the Fuse to be at or just a touch under the output rating of the Alternator

IMO call DC power and ask them what fuse to run and if they tell you to put a fuse thats rated more than the Alternator output ask them why I would like to know myself as I dont get it

I also recomend to take a dremal tool and clean all battery cables and Grounds up good

thanks Lakewood

Old 03-18-2012, 03:48 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
When I talked with them the wire upgrade is recomended I got the wire upgrade for free from them so IDK how much they charge for it.

Its Not a Big Deal you can Make your Own Basicaly its just a Battery Cable with a Fuse inline with it

Check my pics out and just make your own

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - BLADE35's Album: DC Power Alternator & Wire Upgrade

Notice the red battery cable there is a grey part of the wire right where it bolts to the Alternator thats the Fusable link. Not shure of the rating of it. But High Binder also made his own wire upgrade and he said they told him to run an 250amp fuse in that line But IIRC he got the 185 or 190amp alternator so why they told him to install a Fuse thats more then the Output rating of the Alternator is Beyond Me seems like you would want the Fuse to be at or just a touch under the output rating of the Alternator

IMO call DC power and ask them what fuse to run and if they tell you to put a fuse thats rated more than the Alternator output ask them why I would like to know myself as I dont get it

I also recomend to take a dremal tool and clean all battery cables and Grounds up good

thanks Lakewood
I know they recommend it, but is it worth it for me to just go ahead and order it?

So judging by your photos the extra cable just gives more power to the passenger side battery?

Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
I know they recommend it, but is it worth it for me to just go ahead and order it??
Up to you IDK how much they charge for it so

So judging by your photos the extra cable just gives more power to the passenger side battery?
Yes Exactly thats also how they told me to Hook the extra cable up

But really the Batterys are connected with Cables so they all get a Better shot of Juice

Old 03-18-2012, 04:13 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Its 70 bucks online. I can get 1/0 cable from a friend for free so i might just make one myself. how much cable did you use in feet etc.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:27 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
I called my friend hes giving me 8-10 feet of the 1/0 cable for free and we'll make it ourselves. With shipping from DC power it would be 86 bucks to order theirs

Old 03-18-2012, 05:14 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
WOW didnt know they was that much I wouldnt have paid that much for one either

I helped them trouble shoot an internet problem so he threw it in

But just use your buddys 1.0 cable and make one its thicker better cable anyway

Do they offer diffrent Cable upgrades I thought that they might I just cant see the cable I got being 85.00+ dollars

Old 03-18-2012, 05:26 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Old 03-18-2012, 05:36 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot

That diffrent then mine so might have to call and ask them

Old 03-18-2012, 08:54 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
That diffrent then mine so might have to call and ask them
ok i will tmr. thanks for the help

Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
ok i will tmr. thanks for the help

No Problem Id just find out the size of fuse and runyour Buddy Cable I beleive that 1.0 cable is better anyway

Old 03-18-2012, 09:32 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks to this fine forum, I have a 2 week old 250 Amp unit Working great in my 2005 EX, I didn't get spacers with the unit so I installed it without them. They sent me a set but I haven't had any problem without them.
I added the new cables to the driver side battery as the passenger side was already loaded up with more cables than the driver side.
Your new alternator should put out 14+ volts at idle. Also make sure your batteries are fully charged before installing your new alternator. I would also get a AC/DC clamp on amp meter to check your load under the various conditions. My EX pulls about .030 amps with the engine off. Hope this is useful.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:27 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
No Problem Id just find out the size of fuse and runyour Buddy Cable I beleive that 1.0 cable is better anyway
I believe its a 250 amp fuse

Originally Posted by chetspencer
thanks to this fine forum, I have a 2 week old 250 Amp unit Working great in my 2005 EX, I didn't get spacers with the unit so I installed it without them. They sent me a set but I haven't had any problem without them.
I added the new cables to the driver side battery as the passenger side was already loaded up with more cables than the driver side.
Your new alternator should put out 14+ volts at idle. Also make sure your batteries are fully charged before installing your new alternator. I would also get a AC/DC clamp on amp meter to check your load under the various conditions. My EX pulls about .030 amps with the engine off. Hope this is useful.
Ok thank very much. I wont be able to install the cables for at least a week after the new alternator. New alternator comes in this friday the 23th, ill install it then. but i wont be home to hook up the new cables until the 30th. It should be ok for a week. (im in school, only go home once a month)

Quick Reply: DC power alternator