Sponsored by: DP Tuner

injector knock

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 AM
dmanshane
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector knock

I am on my road trip 550 miles left just filled fuel started pickup up and an injectors was makin a lot of noise knock knock knock it smother out eventually what do you guys therenk

Old 03-18-2012, 01:17 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How low was your fuel when you filled up? Maybe sucked some air?

Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 AM
dmanshane
Tuned
Between qtr and empty nose was sittin up hill a tad and had weight of empty 24 foot gooseneck stock trailer in bed so maybe I'm at a friends house for a few minutes when I start it again I will see what she does

Old 03-18-2012, 01:25 AM
dmanshane
Tuned
Just started her no knock so guessin just air

Old 03-18-2012, 01:26 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the likeliest of possibilities.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 AM
dmanshane
Tuned
I was gettin worried I was gonna have to do clutch and injectors and turbo I absolutely hate my ats housing I'm fricken deaf 1350 miles since Friday night and 550 left tonight ugh it's 38r time

Old 03-18-2012, 07:32 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanshane
I was gettin worried I was gonna have to do clutch and injectors and turbo I absolutely hate my ats housing I'm fricken deaf 1350 miles since Friday night and 550 left tonight ugh it's 38r time
If you think the 38r is going to be quieter than the stock turbo with ATS, you're in for a surprise. Getting away from an "open" air intake will reduce noise.
I see you've done the Harpoon mod. I assume you did the Hutch, as well. The suction screen "foot" might be busted.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
My scheduled mods to my truck are now done, so now it's time for me to look into this same problem. I had very loud intermittant knocks under the hood last summer and the mechanic replaced two injectors to eliminate the problem. He told me to start using fuel additives and I have since that time. I now get an occasional knock here and there, but nothing like the frequency and intensity of the knocks last summer. I've done the buzz test and looked at AE data until my eyes bleed, but I can find nothing that would indicate the source of the knock. The occasional knock only occurs with engine warm, in gear, and low RPMs like manuevering in a parking lot. Fuel level has no bearing, I have 1/2 tank now and it did it yesterday.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 AM
meierw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
My scheduled mods to my truck are now done, so now it's time for me to look into this same problem. I had very loud intermittant knocks under the hood last summer and the mechanic replaced two injectors to eliminate the problem. He told me to start using fuel additives and I have since that time. I now get an occasional knock here and there, but nothing like the frequency and intensity of the knocks last summer. I've done the buzz test and looked at AE data until my eyes bleed, but I can find nothing that would indicate the source of the knock. The occasional knock only occurs with engine warm, in gear, and low RPMs like manuevering in a parking lot. Fuel level has no bearing, I have 1/2 tank now and it did it yesterday.
Mine does the same thing. It drove me crazy cause I had just bought the truck. After I added the FRX it barley does it anymore and if it does its barley noticeable.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I've been looking at that. I know somebody who had an FRX for a few years and he pulled it when it blew. He runs BD and the FRX design has been changed, so there are too many variables for me to know what happened with his. I'm mulling on this mod, but I'm an advocate of solving the root cause of a problem if possible.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Mine knocked as well, especially the one weekend trip we did with the toyhauler. Got back to unhook, truck run'n, and could'nt believe the noise it was making...chaulked it up to higher fuel psi. Got it down to 62/63-ish, and all but gone now...

Dman...if you wanna part with that ATS, shoot me a price, Bro...

Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 AM
meierw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I've been looking at that. I know somebody who had an FRX for a few years and he pulled it when it blew. He runs BD and the FRX design as been changed, so there are too many variables for me to know what happened with his. I'm mulling on this mod, but I'm an advocate of solving the root cause of problem if possible.
I highly recommend the FRX. It's amazing how quiet my truck is now.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
In that case, I'll look at that in earnest and do my usual homework. Thanks guys!

Old 03-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I two had the fuel knock really bad. Go on a trip and when you stop somewhere it was knocking something bad. Put in Clays FRX and its all but gone. I took it to Ford and they said i needed #8 injector before the frx. I plan on changing all of them so I tryed the frx and am very happy so far.

Chet

Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Mine knocked as well, especially the one weekend trip we did with the toyhauler. Got back to unhook, truck run'n, and could'nt believe the noise it was making...chaulked it up to higher fuel psi. Got it down to 62/63-ish, and all but gone now...

Dman...if you wanna part with that ATS, shoot me a price, Bro...
Ha I was gonna say the same thing

Quick Reply: injector knock