1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Tom,
first define exactly what you are trying to do:
do you want just remote electric locks like most modern cars (push a key fob button or an interior button to lock/unlock, use the handles to open the doors)? Must you be able to retain and use the manual key exterior and/or push/pull the interior handle to mechanically lock/unlock the doors as well, or is the electrically switched locks alone satisfactory? Will the stock or other interior and exterior handles be used to actually unlatch and open the doors?
As I stated I have retained the stock latches, outside door handles and outside key mechanisms and custom interior handles with built in mechanical lock levers with remote electric locks to lock and unlock the doors from outside.
I would need to study the earlier lock/latch mechanics and hook ups to devise a method to adapt them to remote lock/unlock functionality, but since they are mechanical and not very sophisticated a method should be able to be devised, just need to think outside the box (and likely modify the latches). That is how I got mine to work, I looked for how just the lock portion of the latch functioned then figured out a way to operate that portion alone with a solenoid and left the rest to work as stock. It may require sacrificing a latch to disassemble and study it.
The next easiest solution would probably be to salvage the latches, keylocks, inside and outside handles from a late model vehicle with electric locks and adapt them to your doors.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Tom 'Tommeke' Thomas
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok,
I got one side already working.
I will upload a photo of how I have done it.
Indeed I needed to take the whole lock apart and make some modifications.
The only thing I wanted is to get my truck locked without having to get out at the passenger side.
So actualy I just wanted to get them locked from the outside automaticly.
The way I've done it now is that I can only lock them with the power locks.
So the leverages from the inside and outside only work to open the door.
I think if I found the actuators I showed in the other link,I could have kept the working of the leverages the same,with the extra function to lock the car with a remote control.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:25 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tom 'Tommeke' Thomas
Ok,
I got one side already working.
I will upload a photo of how I have done it.
Indeed I needed to take the whole lock apart and make some modifications.
The only thing I wanted is to get my truck locked without having to get out at the passenger side.
So actualy I just wanted to get them locked from the outside automaticly.
The way I've done it now is that I can only lock them with the power locks.
So the leverages from the inside and outside only work to open the door.
I think if I found the actuators I showed in the other link,I could have kept the working of the leverages the same,with the extra function to lock the car with a remote control.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to seeing and reading how you did it.

Way to stick with it!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Tom 'Tommeke' Thomas
New User

I hope you can see the photo.
What I have done is;
Take the metal connection between the lock and the leverage of,
Make a new connection between the both,
and connect the lower metal piece of the lock with another metal piece which goes to the solenoid for the powerlocks.You can fit the solenoid in just underneath the leverage.
One side is already done,I'm starting on the second side now.
If you have questions or hints to make it better please give :-)!
greetz
Tom

Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
sorry, no photo.
To post a photo, first it must be on the internet, not just on your computer. You can first place it on a free picture hosting site like flicker or photobucket or create a gallery on here, then link to it by posting the location using the code the sites provide. The code for the picture to appear in your post would typically start with img in square brackets and end with /img also in square brackets.
The problem may also be that you haven't passed the magic number of posts yet (20 I think) to post pix.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Tom 'Tommeke' Thomas
New User
Tom 'Tommeke' Thomas's Photos | Facebook
I put it on facebook..
So normally you could check it out there..

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
NICE truck!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Tom 'Tommeke' Thomas
New User
thx :-)!
trying to make the best of it ;-)!
So you saw what I've done with the locks?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Doraville
Senior User
Ditto...nice truck!

This is something that I've been wanting to do for a long time but couldn't figure out how without installing something like the Altman latches and just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money.

I need to pull the passenger side latch on my truck anyway because it's binding. I'm going to study those photos you've provided to see if I can figure out what you did.

I've read numerous threads where people were wanting to do this but you're the first one (to my knowledge) that figured out how to do it on an F1. Nice job!

-DV

Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Can you still use the key to get in (in case of dead battery or malfunction)?

Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 AM
Tom 'Tommeke' Thomas
New User
I'm going to install a switch on the car too,but hidden on a good place in case of problems,and when the battery is dead i just open the hood and put on jumper cables? :-)
the advantage of the old F1 is you don't need to get in the car to open the hood..so no problem there..And the key blocks another part of the lock then when you close it from inside..If I used the key lock I would have had a problem on the drivers side..I'm going to install drivers side today!
In case of questions: shoot..

Originally Posted by carnut122
Can you still use the key to get in (in case of dead battery or malfunction)?

Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Doraville
Senior User
Tom,

Thanks for posting the photos of your door lock solution. It's been a while since I had my door latch mechanism apart, and to be honest with you I couldn't remember exactly how the dang thing works. I removed the latch on the passenger side today to fix a problem with it binding (luckily all it needed was cleaning with some solvent and a good lube).

I think I understand what you've done, but I do have a question. The long linkage from the inside door handle has to be "pushed" in order to activate the lock, and "pulled" in order to open the door. I can see how you use the old linkage to activate to locking mechanism with the solenoid, but it's not clear from the photo how your new linkage is able to "pull" the door latch to open it. The old linkage has a step on it's edge that catches when you pull it, but I don't see anything like that on your new linkage.

Thanks,
-DV

Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Tom 'Tommeke' Thomas
New User
If you look at your lock you can see 2 actions.
1)If you push the rod all the way to the lock it's "locked".
This is done with the original metal and connected with the solenoid.
This can only move the bottom piece of the lock,and pushes a metal piece underneath the turning mechanism of the outside doorhandle.

2)opening from the inside is done by pulling on the rod,to pull the lock away and opens the door.This action is done by the new aluminium bar i've put on.
So this can only open the door from the inside.

It's stupid that you can't use the lock-function anymore from the inside,but if you want to lock from the inside you can install a button,there are wires to connect available in the kit i've bought.
The other stupid thing is that when my battery is totally dead,it can't open anymore. So I need jumper cables to open my doors,but since you can always open the hood,it's not that big of a problem.I've also installed a push button in the motor compartiment (hidden duh!) that can also open the locks in case of a problem with the remote control..

Hope you understand my explaination a little bit,i'm european ..

Old 09-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Doraville
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom 'Tommeke' Thomas
If you look at your lock you can see 2 actions.
2)opening from the inside is done by pulling on the rod,to pull the lock away and opens the door.This action is done by the new aluminium bar i've put on.
So this can only open the door from the inside.

Hope you understand my explaination a little bit,i'm european ..
Tom, I can assure you that your English is much better than my Dutch!

I guess my question is that I can't determine from the photo exactly how your new piece of linkage "hooks" the latch in order to open it. I see the new clip that you made, but I wouldn't think that this clip would provide enough of a grab to allow the new linkage to open the latch. Is there a hook or a lip or a step on that linkage that isn't seen in the photo?

Thanks
-DV

Quick Reply: Power locks