6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:18 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
unfortunately i dont have EGT sensor yet other things keep getting in the way.. for cool downs i use my hands at the exit of the tail pipe.. if the gasses feel like they could scald in a couple seconds its too hot.. usually after 10 mins i can stand to keep my hand there for awhile so i figure then its cool enough... not perfect but works for now..

it doesnt take long for mine to warm up according to the SG.. usually at start up its saying about what the outside temp is.. then within a couple mins its over 100.. even cranking it right up and taking right off (ie late to work) by time i hit the end of the street its up over that.. but thats going off fords factory sensors which ive always questioned their accuracy...
I didn't think you had an EGT gauge that's why I mentioned 3 minutes. Actually, running empty and watching the gauge I'm below 350 in far less than 3 minutes.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
I didn't think you had an EGT gauge that's why I mentioned 3 minutes. Actually, running empty and watching the gauge I'm below 350 in far less than 3 minutes.
i drilled and tapped the manifolds for it but havent been able to buy them yet.. when it hasnt been the truck its been other things costing me.. Just figure if my hand feels like the gasses are going to burn it its too hot still lol

Old 07-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed my oil and filter with delo synthetic. Getting ready to pull the fifth wheel on a 1500 mile round trip excursion to the Davis mountains in west Texas.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Changed the fuel filters. Doing the u joints on the drive shaft tomorrow on the Ex.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
unfortunately i dont have EGT sensor yet other things keep getting in the way.. for cool downs i use my hands at the exit of the tail pipe.. if the gasses feel like they could scald in a couple seconds its too hot.. usually after 10 mins i can stand to keep my hand there for awhile so i figure then its cool enough... not perfect but works for now..

it doesnt take long for mine to warm up according to the SG.. usually at start up its saying about what the outside temp is.. then within a couple mins its over 100.. even cranking it right up and taking right off (ie late to work) by time i hit the end of the street its up over that.. but thats going off fords factory sensors which ive always questioned their accuracy...
After a good haul in the heat I let it idle hood open until I can hold my hand in the air stream off the cooling stack w/o feeling like I'l turn into a lobster. Then I shut it down and leave the hood up for awhile...

Coming up on an oil change and trying to decide if I want to go with more Syn in the blend this time...

Old 07-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Medline
Junior User
Got my Riffraff stuff in today!
Knocked out all 4 rubber boots, and a new metal CAC tube to replace the plastic one. Used the hairspray method and ran her under 27lb boost, they stayed snug.

Also got my sinister coolant filter installed and all fuel filters replaced with Motorcraft. The fuel filters were BLACK... that's what I get for buying used.

Went ahead and added valves for my airlift in the back, compressor is shot and I didn't want to buy a new one yet. They're holding perfect with this method, I just roll up to any fuel station and fill them as needed.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:38 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Medline
Also got my sinister coolant filter installed and all fuel filters replaced with Motorcraft. The fuel filters were BLACK... that's what I get for buying used.
there was a wool coat in my HFCM when i did the filters the first time... pulled another out of the distribution block too when i had to replace that panel too thanks to a PO JB welding the plug in there...

Old 07-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Medline
Junior User
there was a wool coat in my HFCM when i did the filters the first time... pulled another out of the distribution block too when i had to replace that panel too thanks to a PO JB welding the plug in there...
Ouch! Some people deserve to only be allowed to drive golf carts... idiots.. haha

Old 07-27-2016, 09:48 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
yeah they replaced it with a brass plug (not fords updated one but something else)... and JB welded it into the hole.. no way to drain the HFCM if i needed to... was annoying trying to do it when it was below freezing but least it was better than trying it when it was 100+ outside like it is now..

Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Medline
Junior User
yeah they replaced it with a brass plug (not fords updated one but something else)... and JB welded it into the hole.. no way to drain the HFCM if i needed to... was annoying trying to do it when it was below freezing but least it was better than trying it when it was 100+ outside like it is now..
Lmao!! Who ever does that!?! I bought the new updated plug... but I forgot it when I replaced the filters. If I go ripping it off am I going to have a huge spill with a full tank?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
id have a drain pan handy and a few rags lol.. i got the new plug as a "welcome to 6.0 ownership" gift from a friend...

if you keep pressure on the plug once its loose you can let it bleed down to a drip.. use the old plug to kind of direct it down by tilting the bottom out when its loose enough to be removed.. takes longer but works... sometimes it will run down the frame rail though... but it doesnt take long to get empty... once the flows slowed you can pull the old one off and slip the new one in..

Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 PM
Medline
Junior User
id have a drain pan handy and a few rags lol.. i got the new plug as a "welcome to 6.0 ownership" gift from a friend...

if you keep pressure on the plug once its loose you can let it bleed down to a drip.. use the old plug to kind of direct it down by tilting the bottom out when its loose enough to be removed.. takes longer but works... sometimes it will run down the frame rail though... but it doesnt take long to get empty... once the flows slowed you can pull the old one off and slip the new one in..
Awesome thanks sparky!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:12 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Your welcome Medline

Old 07-28-2016, 12:37 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Medline
Lmao!! Who ever does that!?! I bought the new updated plug... but I forgot it when I replaced the filters. If I go ripping it off am I going to have a huge spill with a full tank?
Here is something that I find helpful. Is should even work with 2WD.
You may end up holding it. But that is better than a diesel shower.
Just tuck it between the front drive shaft and frame right below the drain
and place the pan or what ever you want to catch the diesel in under the
funnel. Works like a charm every time.

With the shape of that funnel it tends to stay where you put it and not
pop up. The placement is nice because it catches the dribbles without
having any run down the frame.

BTW that is the update for the plug. I has the steel one and it went bye-bye at first draining.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 07-28-2016, 03:58 AM
Medline
Junior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Here is something that I find helpful. Is should even work with 2WD.
You may end up holding it. But that is better than a diesel shower.
Just tuck it between the front drive shaft and frame right below the drain
and place the pan or what ever you want to catch the diesel in under the
funnel. Works like a charm every time.

With the shape of that funnel it tends to stay where you put it and not
pop up. The placement is nice because it catches the dribbles without
having any run down the frame.

BTW that is the update for the plug. I has the steel one and it went bye-bye at first draining.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder
Awesome! Thanks Sean. That good for nothing driveshaft will finally come to use holding the funnel... haha seems like it's always in the way when I got to do some work.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?