Sponsored by:

Reverse Sensor Turns Itself "Off" When I Shift to R

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Ex03AK
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse Sensor Turns Itself "Off" When I Shift to R

I searched and found a lot of issues but no answers to my specific problem. Does anybody know what would cause the reverse sensing system to illuminate the "OFF" light on its own when I shift into reverse? I cannot turn it back on unless I shift out of reverse. This problem has come and gone on its own several times and there is no rhyme or reason as to when or why.

Thanks,
Stew

Old 01-14-2010, 05:59 PM
gogriz2009
Freshman User
I had the same problem when I bought mine. I found a thread somewhere in here that suggested cleaning the sensors on the rear bumper. I gave them a spray down, and tinkered with the wiring a nd now they work. Confused me when I backed up the first time and heard the beeping. Maybe I got lucky but thats what worked for me.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 PM
05ExcursionLTD
Junior User
My Ex currently has a bad sensor and when ever I shift to R the off light comes on and the system does not work. I know which sensor is bad but I have not replaced it but I read a thread in FTE on how to find out which sensor is not working. You have to be careful but start the truck and put it in reverse. While someone keeps the truck still place your finger over the sensor, actually touching it. You can feel a slight snap in your finger. The one that does not snap is the bad sensor. I confirmed it with a Ford test computer.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
The system defaults to "Off" if it senses a problem with a system component, including the sensors, wiring, and little speaker in the rear trim panel... 95% of the time it's a single, failed bumper sensor..

Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
DaveandJennyP
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine too turns to "off" when I put it in reverse. I have never come across a thread until now that gave some insight on what to do to troubleshoot the problem.

THANKS!!

I now have something to do this weekend.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
A good Scan Tool, SPX, Snap On, will be able to access the reverse sensor module and run a self test. If if is a sensor it will tell you which one it is. Had the same issue with my 01 and I used a SPX Genisys. It told me exactly which one of my sensors was bad. Replaced it and all good now.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Ex03AK
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. At least I have somewhere to start...clean the sensors, try to feel the "snap" with my finger, tinker with the wiring. I wonder where this will fall on my wife's list of "honey-do's."

Thanks again,
Stew

Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 AM
PriusEater
New User
Hey,

I had the same problem when i bought my truck.. i took apart the sensor and saw the sensor was broken.. so my opinion in this... find a truck like yours at a junk yard and take the bumper.. because your sensor is gone.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 PM
BLUEFORD350
New User
I had the same problem in my 2003 F350 and I was able to solve it. It really boils down to what william_04_x said a couple of posts ago. I don't have a fancy scan tool or anything, so here's what I did:

First I checked my fuses, of course.
Secondly I got under the truck and visually inspected the wires. They all looked intact, no kinks, no cuts, no shots from road debris, that kind of thing.
At that point I assumed that one of my sensors were bad. So I ordered one from ebay $30 and swapped out one sensor at a time, cleaning the end connections with CRC spray. Sure enough, the third sensor I switched did the trick.

Obviously if I had gone switching out all four sensors, one at a time, without success; then the problem is deeper, as in one of the other components or even possibly two sensors (although that is highly unlikely.) Then you need the dealer or a special scan tool.

In my opinion, 30 bucks is worth it. With odds like 95% chance that it is a sensor, it’s almost a sure thing. Search for (3F2Z 15K859 BA) on ebay, got mine from 8pointman.

Good Luck

Old 02-21-2010, 07:41 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Just a suggestion; to be on the safe side, just turn the key to the on position and put the truck in reverse with the E-brake on. You do not have to have the engine running.

Also, another way to determine if you have a bad sensor is to put your ear up to each one of the sensors with the truck in R. You will hear a light clicking noise from each sensor that is functioning; no clicking, no functioning. I tested mine this way and found the bad one in about 10 seconds!

Just want to acknowledge that this method is not mine; got it from one of our brothers in a post here!

Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I just found 2 bad sensors... ouch

Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM
popups4rent
Senior User
Originally Posted by FallstonYJ
Just a suggestion; to be on the safe side, just turn the key to the on position and put the truck in reverse with the E-brake on. You do not have to have the engine running.

Also, another way to determine if you have a bad sensor is to put your ear up to each one of the sensors with the truck in R. You will hear a light clicking noise from each sensor that is functioning; no clicking, no functioning. I tested mine this way and found the bad one in about 10 seconds!

Just want to acknowledge that this method is not mine; got it from one of our brothers in a post here!
This is exactly what I did. I would never be able to hear them with the truck running anyway.