1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

TS Performance vs DP Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TS Performance vs DP Tuning

I am looking at a chip and was wondering what all your opinions were between the two tuners.... I'm not going to be running anything crazy just exhaust/ intake/ IC/ and maybe injectors down the road.... Just want a simple 4-6 position chip.

Your guys thoughts.......

Best place to purchase?

Called TS and they sent me to Daves Diesel for their retailer.....

Thanks again fellas

Old 03-05-2012, 01:39 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
The big differences are:
DP Tuner allows for up to 16 tunes on the F5 and F6
With the F6 if you have a laptop and decide to add/change/update tunes, you can do it yourself without removing the chip.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:47 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
TS tunes suck azz I had em less than a month and sent my chip to PHP for a reburn

Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
You can get a chip and six tunes from PHP for around 300

Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
The mechanic who does the work on my truck did mention that DP tunes usually run the hotTest out of them all. He had good things to say about TS and DP. I do not need 16 positions and I did notice each position is 25.00 from most vendors. Honestly all I want is

1 Theft
2. Stock
3. Economy
4 Max performance
5. Mid Performance
6. Max tow

However being a manual, I'm pretty sure all they change is shift points with autos for towing so it really would not be beneficial with even getting a tow setup for a manual.

WHY WAS TS JUNK?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Tow tunes are usually set up a little different than daily driver tunes even for a stick shift.
TS tunes are "canned" tunes and you won't get the performance out of them that you will from custom tunes on the same chip from one of many vendors out there who do custom tuning.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
All I got out of TS tunes was a touchy go pedal and real High EGT's

Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Well DP it is. Anyone have a good suggestion for a retailer? I want to be able to submit the current mods the truck will have, in the notes, so they know what to tune for. Riffraff carries them however does not have a notes section unless I'm missing something. I'm just trying to be able to notify the tuner what the vehicle has done to it/ year /make/ tranny/ and maybe altitude of location.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
nevermind figured it out...anywhere else that carries them cheaper than about 600 bucks...its 400 for the chip and then 30 bucks a selection of riffraff.... might just go with the F5

Old 03-05-2012, 02:55 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
hope you don't have to select a custom tune for each setting..... but I'm guessing so

Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
You can fill all the positions are select 3 tunes it's up to you

Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
no i get that, I'm just wondering hypothetically if each setting is preprgrommed on their computer. If you choose "custom tune" then it is modified for the modifications you have for your truck....there are only a few setting I would like, but I'm not sure if I need to select custom for each one.

All I'm saying if their base tune for 100hp was set up for a an automatic truck at sea level with stock intake/exhaust ect... then do you need to select custom for each tune so they modify the base tune for a truck at 5500 feet/ exhaust/ intake/ ect. That is all. I figure if I'm doing it once I'd like to do it right.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM
BadDogPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Just to clarify- Most of the custom tuners use TS style chips, they put their tunes on a TS chip. TS also sells chips with it's tunes. Most guys don't like the TS chips with TS tunes... but there are MANY happy campers out there with TS chips & CUSTOM tunes.

The best thing would be to call a few of the tuners and tell them what you are looking for and then pick the one that you like the best. The prices do vary a bit from tuner to tuner. Some are very quick to burn your chip & get it back to you, some are a little slower. Some charge for reburns, some don't.

I find that I spend 90+% of the time in one tune, 80HP Economy... The rest of the time I'm in my tow tune. I think I've used the 120 HP Race tune once or twice.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
BadDogPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
All I'm saying if their base tune for 100hp was set up for a an automatic truck at sea level with stock intake/exhaust ect... then do you need to select custom for each tune so they modify the base tune for a truck at 5500 feet/ exhaust/ intake/ ect. That is all. I figure if I'm doing it once I'd like to do it right.
They need to know what modifications you have on your truck so they can tune it correctly. Once they know what mods you have the tuner will put the right tunes on your chip for each of the tunes you select.

Does that make sense?

Old 03-05-2012, 04:04 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
That exactly what I wanted to know. So my best bet is to give DP a call and have them custom burn a chip according to my mods, or are they simply a chip maker and would be better off calling an actual tuning shop and having them burn the chip..... What I'm getting at is who can I call give my mods over the phone, the tunes I want, and a credit card number and they will mail me a chip burned according to my mods....then ship it out, that is all. Do I also need to order a led selector switch as well for the chip. Sorry for these questions, just new to it.

Who did you go through?

Quick Reply: TS Performance vs DP Tuning