1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How safe is a gastank behind the seat ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
......Someone once told me about a temporary rectangular tank used for transporting new stripped chassis to custom body manufacturers such as RV builders that are often removed and discarded during the conversion that worked well for mounting like the panel tank. ......
I have one in my '48 panel. I bought it on eBay from a guy I think was in GA, whose friend worked in a firetruck company. They bare chassis would come in with the tank and it would be replaced with a larger tank when they installed the fire fighting apparatus. I had to relocate the fill tube and sending unit.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
My #1 reason for moving the gas tank out of the cab on my 56 was LEGROOM. It may not be a lot but those extra inches make a big difference. Maybe in 1956 people were shorter or perhaps it's the nature of the trucks being for "work" and not meant to be comfortable, whatever the case I am happier with the added cab space.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Nojive55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
Do you recall the exploding Pinto fuel tank FIASCO? .......100's of peeps were trapped inside, burned to death.
With all due respect (and mine is infinite for ND), most sources agree there were only 27 documented deaths due to the flamming Pintos.

That being said, I like my gas tank where it is good and safe, right there inside the cab with me. If I believed it would give me any more leg-room in the cab to move it I would (but I don't).

Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you want to keep the in cab tank and are concerned about leaks, fumes, etc., temporarily remove the tank, flush the insides (search on gas tank cleaning for methods) and coat the inside with aviation grade gas tank sealer, often called "slushing compound" for it's application method. Pour it in, slosh it all around to coat, pour out the excess and let dry. It's required on airplanes that use gasoline. You can find it at local airports that have private plane maintenance service, custom motorcycle shops (used to seal handmade custom gas tanks) and from Eastwood. New gas tanks are going to be made from much thinner metal.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 PM
56Overdrive
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no practical experience to share, but I thought the concern was more about rollover accidents where the filler tube can be damaged and leak. One story I recall reading (sorry - could not track down a link) included a truck ending-up on its side, spilling gas out the filler tube, and then catching on fire and burning the occupants.

I am not arguing what type of accident is most likely - I am just wondering: are there valves available for stock ('56 for me) tanks to reduce or prevent spills in a rollover? Does anyone have one?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The filler neck on my 56 leaked even without rolling over...just fill it up and turn a corner is all it took.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey 56Overdrive,
Welcome aboard! You jumped in on one of our recurring hot topics of relocating gas tanks. I did put a rollover vent valve in our mustang tank out back - it's an $8 part & we went with a non-venting gas cap as well.
We also armored our's up a bit - probably crazy but since we had it all apart anyway why not.

I think the nicest thing about getting the 22 gallon tank is the 40% more extended range for my 351W. I'd be stopping all the time with a smaller tank.

Ben in Austin

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Once while driving around town I almost rear-ended a guy in a '70's Ford truck, who had extended the rear frame rails about 2 ft and put another gas tank between them -- completely behind the tailgate! And since he didn't move the taillights back, coming up behind him you couldn't tell he had that sticking out behind him. I got away from him as soon as possible!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have never heard about a tank behind the seat exploding but on the other hand, look how many cars have gas tanks at the very back. Most of these are only protected by a few scraps of sheet metal. I welded in a heavy crossmember between the rails at the rear of my truck. I don't know if it will be enough but it is stronger than those cars I mentioned.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:57 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
As far as the safety aspect of an in-cab tank goes, consider the '73-'87 Chevy/GMC trucks. Those trucks had side saddle tanks that were located on the outside of the frame rail just behind the the bedside and cab sheetmetal. There was a massive class action lawsuit over the safety hazard this design represented. In reality there were only 155 fatalities attributed to fires in side impact collisions out of the MILLIONS and MILLIONS of those trucks that GM built - and not all of those were a direct result of a ruptured fuel tank. That's a minuscule percentage of the number of those trucks that were and are on the road. The liklihood of a fire was so remote that Dateline NBC actually had to rig one to get it to explode for their TV segment - and consequently got their butts in hot water over it. One would expect the passenger compartment to be about the safest place to be in a vehicle in the event of a collision. If you're worried about a fire, where else would you want it?!?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I think we're really worrying a lot about not much. I have always wondered if any car current, or past, would have ever been allowed to be used if the basic design was brought in front of the government today:

"OK, let's get this straight, you want to expose the general public to a device with a contraption situated directly in front of the occupant that has multiple explosions occurring in rapid session while at the same time you want store one of the most flammable and explosive liquids in a tin can directly behind the same occupant? Are you nuts?!!"

Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM
roljr
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't removed my tank , but I was thinking about it last year. I was thinking it would gain me gut room ( steering wheel is too big ), but when I checked it out my seat was hitting the back window before coming in contact with the tank. I'm all for saving energy it is still where Ford put it !!!!!!!

Bob

Old 03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by roljr
I haven't removed my tank , but I was thinking about it last year. I was thinking it would gain me gut room ( steering wheel is too big ), but when I checked it out my seat was hitting the back window before coming in contact with the tank. I'm all for saving energy it is still where Ford put it !!!!!!!

Bob
See, I knew I wasn't the only one whose truck's steering wheel swells and gets a little bigger every year. I think they were made of a poor material that absorbs moisture while in winter storage.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
See, I knew I wasn't the only one whose truck's steering wheel swells and gets a little bigger every year. I think they were made of a poor material that absorbs moisture while in winter storage.
One of my sons told me that if I "grew" anymore,my navel would swallow my trucks 18"(?) steering wheel.I love that kid.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Then they were mounted under the seats and then from '48 until '73, I think, they were mounted behind the seat.
Just an FYI: the 53-55 trucks had the gas tank under the drivers side running board on the outside of the frame rail. I don't know why they moved it nor why they moved it back in 56... I have a lot of dealer literature from 53 but never have I read why they moved the gas tank under the running board. It is nice to have space behind the seat for tools, bungee straps, a 4x4 block of wood I use for a wheel chock, etc...

Quick Reply: How safe is a gastank behind the seat ?