Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Sway Bar Bushing Replacement (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:16 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
So an Energy Suspension poly kit #4.5185G ($40)was ordered from Amazon.
Originally Posted by EXv10
I just ordered 2 links with bushings and a new bolts from Ebay for $42 and free shipping. Dorman link kit...check it out.

As to keep us all honest here and for accuracy's sake it appears that my Energy kit was $2 less expensive than the Dorman links, so who is saving the money now. lol
I'm sure that the Dormans were faster to install, as I posted at the beginning of this thread I did my install between 3 and 5 O'clock including picture taking and painting parts. As of yet I haven't found anyone to pay me for my free time yet, but when I do I'll be set for life!
As for being a glutton for punishment, if 10 minutes of hammer work is considered "punishment" then I guess I am. At least I was driving the hammer, not catching it.

Just having a little fun here at Brent's expense, Being the wise and worldly gent that he is I hope he takes it as it's meant, all in fun.
My parts are holding up well after 2.5+ years, I hope the Dormans as well the other solutions mentioned in this thread are too.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:37 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
As to keep us all honest here and for accuracy's sake it appears that my Energy kit was $2 less expensive than the Dorman links, so who is saving the money now. lol
I'm sure that the Dormans were faster to install, as I posted at the beginning of this thread I did my install between 3 and 5 O'clock including picture taking and painting parts. As of yet I haven't found anyone to pay me for my free time yet, but when I do I'll be set for life!
As for being a glutton for punishment, if 10 minutes of hammer work is considered "punishment" then I guess I am. At least I was driving the hammer, not catching it.

Just having a little fun here at Brent's expense, Being the wise and worldly gent that he is I hope he takes it as it's meant, all in fun.
My parts are holding up well after 2.5+ years, I hope the Dormans as well the other solutions mentioned in this thread are too.
My Dorman's are holding up very well also at the same 2.5+- years also.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
That whole post ^ makes no sense whatsoever.

Point proven

Old 07-12-2015, 08:43 PM
tjbradney
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not to bring back an old thread but i just started to get some "clunking" up front and im going to start by replacing the bushings i searched and couldnt find a kit for the exursion from energy suspension so im assuming

Energy Suspension 4.5180 - Front Sway Bar Frame Bushings - 36mm (1.41 inch). Energy Suspension ENE-4.5180G
Prothane 881166 - Front Sway Bar Endlink Bushings. Prothane 88-1166-BL

thats all i need to get the job done?

Old 07-13-2015, 06:00 AM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine have started to clunk again and the bushings still look ok. If it keeps up, will go back to original type.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 AM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So i put in new dorman front links maybe 2 years ago....and now they are clunking again. I have modded springs etc. Are the energy suspension bushings any better or last any longer?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:54 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
3.5 years and 35,000 miles after installation my Energy kit is still squeak and clunk free. I don't know if my stronger modded front X code springs put less stress on the front sway bar as they don't deflect nearly as much as the stock springs but all is good here.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:12 AM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeh mine has the modded springs as well. No rear sway bar, which might attribute to a little extra sway. I am not impressed with the durability of the dormans. I dont offroad this or anything other than some access roads.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:27 PM
dirtyegg
New User
Thanks!!

I know it's an old thread, but very useful and inspired me to sign up!!

Used the pictures to do the Energy Suspension replacement, and that part worked like a charm. Problem was, I quickly developed a knock again- but different this time.

Traced the noise back to the sway bar link. The stock bolt is just too small inside the Energy Susp metal sleeve, and was smacking around inside it. Asked them for advice a couple weeks ago, and still no response, so not excited about their customer service. Replaced their sleeve with a bronze bushing and matching grade 8 bolt and voila, noise gone. One thing I noticed, the metal sleeve was very difficult to get out of the rubber bushing. So this means the metal bolt would be twisting inside the metal sleeve.... seems like a recipe to wear out quickly. Maybe it was just my bolt, but if you do the swap and still have a knock, disconnect the sway bar again and test to make sure that's not the culprit. I was spinning in circles for a little while troubleshooting.
Anyway, replacement Moog links with grease zerks coming from Rock Auto, I think that's the best long term solution.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Nice job dirtyegg!

When I did my bushings I also replaced the swaybar endlinks. I opted to just replace the entire thing with new ones instead of pressing out, or burning the originals out.

I still have my old end links, I'll probably press them out and clean them up just so I have an extra set ready.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
OLD but still totally relevant. Thanks for this great info. Timely because my Energy Suspension kit is about to arrive. I'm feeling frugal about this sway bar end link thing because 1. I have a press, 2 I don't like buying an entire piece when I can rebuild for cheaper and save resources.

Last night I halfheartedly started smacking away at my old end link bushings, to no avail. UBANGY methodololgy is my fav...but they aren't budging. I will need to heat w/ torch first me thinks.

BTW Y2K put together a killer post on this subject. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...end-links.html

Also, ACDELCO makes what looks like a nice unit for $45 compared Moogs for $53 (at AMAZON)...if you're counting pennies. ACDELCO is reputable in my experience. Moog is for sure. See Y2k's post for details.

I tried looking for SACHS W0133-1903311 bushing inserts, which according to Y2k may be OEM, but I cannot find them for sale anywhere.

Now which sway bar -to frame bushings FIT my truck????

Moog K80072 1 1/4" Front Sway Bar Frame Bushing DONT fit my 2002 7.3 4WD off road automatic, crewcab.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:48 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Energy Suspension 4.5186G sucks

This afternoon I installed Energy Suspension 4.5186G on my 2002 F350 4WD Off Road automatic 7.3l. My end links were completely destroyed at 202k miles. Shame on me for letting them get like to that point.

I heated (MAPP gas) and pushed the old bushings out with a shop press

Anyway here are some problems I encountered with installation.

1. The holes in the 4 gold plated washers are too small to accept the OEM bolts, top or bottom, for the endlinks. I had to drill them out with 1/2 inch bit to get the bolts to fit through.

2. The 4 washers...go.....where??? The instructions dont say. I used one on the inner end of each endlink as per pics.

3. The replacement bushings...ya its relatively obvious which ones go where...but come-on ES!...The F series is one of the most common platforms in the WORLD...and you couldn't print specific instructions? Especially with respect to the washers.

4. The OEM metal heat shield for the passenger side upper end link cannot be used with the ES kit...unless you turn it around, which likely reduces its efficacy.

5. WORST OF ALL: The long bolts that mate the top of the endlink to the frame have a taper near the bolt head and an inch-long section that is WIDER than the new metal sleeves Energy Suspension provides which means you MUST turn the long bolt around feed it from the OUTSIDE of the truck in order to keep the thicker section of the bolt away from the ES sleeve and not feed the long bolt from the inside of the truck, as originally installed.

6. ES doesn't include enough silicon lubricant in the kit. Have more on hand! ..and some Loctite Blue.

So, yes, the kit is cheaper than even one new greasable endlink from Moog or a ACDELCO unit AND the ES kit includes the sway bar to frame bushings ($12-20 if purchased separately). However polyurethane is SUPER low tech compared to a proper ball and joint end link such as the OEM, Moog, ACDELCO units.

So, I would like to officially raise my middle finger to Energy Suspension. If it wasn't because I have a shop press and MAP gas handy, this would have been a total waste of time. I like burning and pressing out bushings but the make-it-up-as-you-go installation of the ES kit is totally unacceptable.

Also, here the torque specs for the end links and to-frame brackets.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:03 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Interesting update. I agree that the instructions were lacking. But my kit fit fine and is still serving me well with no issues.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Jd1a
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I ordered my kit from Energy Suspension, the kit came with Prothane components. I have the same top bolt problem as Lex2002. No isntructions with the kit, tried on line chat, but they are too busy. Found more information on this site. Guess I'll do the same with the top bolt. May buy 8 large washers.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Jd1a
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Clearanced both top shoulder bolts, put it back together.

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Bushing Replacement (with pics)