Where are all the Ford F350 6.8L V10's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 PM
GMT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are all the Ford F350 6.8L V10's?

I'm looking for a used one. '05 or newer. I'm not looking to spend no more than 18-20 grand. But I'm having a hard time locating one. They're out there, they just seem to be few and far between. Most are diesel. You'll see more 5.4L(I think it's 5.4) than 6.8L.

My question is, do you know of any other places where I can look for that particular truck besides places like Craig's List, cars.com, auto trader, ect? I live in the Dallas area if that helps any.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM
GMT
Junior User
Anyone? Am I not looking in the right places? Am I asking a totally ridiculous question?

Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
They are far and few between for a couple of reasons. People didn't buy them because of the stigma with a V10 and fuel consumption. Little did most people know that the V10 got marginally less fuel economy than the 5.4 but has gobs more power on the low end.
The ones that do own them love them and will not part with them as they are reliable and powerful. Seeing as the motor was discontinued after 2010 in the regular pickup truck line it will be harder and harder to come by. If you find one you better be ready to jump on it as they are worth it. You may need to go out of state too. Some guys have bought out of state, flown down, and drove back. Keep looking or get a dealer to look for you.

Good luck

Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
GMT
Junior User
Hey thanks a lot I appreciate it. There seems to be more V10's in the F250 than the 350. The 3/4 ton is not out of the question if I can find a good example.

The wife and I might be doing a little RVing in the near future. We'll probably stay in-state, so won't be going that far. I used to have a '99 250 in the V10 and loved it. It just started burning oil so I had to let it go.

Is 75,000 miles out of the question on a used one, if well kept? Ideally, I'd like to find one with less miles, but may have to settle for 75,000 and over. I've seen quite a few 3/4 tons with 100,000 mile or more easy, but I was reluctant to pull the trigger. A lot of the higher mileage used ones come off the mom and pop lots and are some real beaters. Dealers sometimes get um in with lower mileage, but they never seem to have exactly what I'm looking for. Plus they're a little on the high end.

Well, thanks again and I'll keep looking.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 AM
Atl Fahrer
Freshman User
I just picked up a 2008 F250 with the 6.8L. There seem to be more 250's than 350's around for sure, but, still not that many. I found mine on autotrader.com and bought from an individual. It has 73,xxx on the clock and honestly, runs like new. Other than the V10 issues that everyone is aware of, I wouldn't worry so much about the miles, if you find a good example.

Good luck!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by GMT
Hey thanks a lot I appreciate it. There seems to be more V10's in the F250 than the 350. The 3/4 ton is not out of the question if I can find a good example.

The wife and I might be doing a little RVing in the near future. We'll probably stay in-state, so won't be going that far. I used to have a '99 250 in the V10 and loved it. It just started burning oil so I had to let it go.

Is 75,000 miles out of the question on a used one, if well kept? Ideally, I'd like to find one with less miles, but may have to settle for 75,000 and over. I've seen quite a few 3/4 tons with 100,000 mile or more easy, but I was reluctant to pull the trigger. A lot of the higher mileage used ones come off the mom and pop lots and are some real beaters. Dealers sometimes get um in with lower mileage, but they never seem to have exactly what I'm looking for. Plus they're a little on the high end.

Well, thanks again and I'll keep looking.

Really depends on your budget and what you can find. The truck I currently have started at something that was way out of my reach. After 7 months of watching it the price dropped $7,000 and was able to get a great deal on trade so I ended up with a great low mileage (25k mi) truck. Why was this? It's short bed dually and I don't think many people want that configuration. To me I was saying "Hmm its essentially a crew cab short bed, it just has the dual rear tires" EVERYONE around here has a crew cab short bed so it's a popular style and people were mostly likey turned off by the dual rear wheels and V10. Not this guy. So patience is key but if it's a popular style it wont last. If you are really limited by price then high mileage is really your only choice. The only thing I have ever bought with high miles is my winter beater taurus. I'll drive that thing till it rots off the frame. High mileage trucks....not my cup of tea. Around my neck of the woods an older model high mileage truck is a rust bucket and many are used for snow plowing, no thanks. High mileage just means more repairs in the near future if they havent been done (ball joints, u-joints, etc..) and with these trucks it gets expensive quick. When I traded my 06 it had a rotten rear bumper, needed new 4x4 hubs and probably u-joints, the exhaust was shot, doors were showing signs of rust at the bottom, and a host of other small things. It had 74,000 miles on it. But I live in the rust belt too. Good luck on your search.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by GMT
Dealers sometimes get um in with lower mileage, but they never seem to have exactly what I'm looking for. Plus they're a little on the high end.
Be ready to buy and give them an offer they can, yes can, refuse. But be serious about buying. Gas prices are going up and you might just be able to steal one!!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 PM
vipsolutions
New User
F350 6.8L V10 2008 Gas basic with 55000 miles looking to sell $20000 just basic package

Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 PM
GMT
Junior User
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
Be ready to buy and give them an offer they can, yes can, refuse. But be serious about buying. Gas prices are going up and you might just be able to steal one!!
Thanks again you've been a big help. I was wanting to use my Diesel as a trade in, but know i can get more selling it myself. Only problem is, it ain't selling! I brought it down to 15,995.00 but no hits. Heck I think a dealer would give me 13 easy on a trade. It's a very clean truck. I'm just wondering if trying to sell it myself is going to be worth it. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do.

Ideally, I'd like to do a straight across trade, but I know that's not going to happen. Especially on a decent, low mileage truck.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better get used to the idea of buying out of the area. I was in the exact same situation as you a few years ago. I didn't think it would be that much trouble to find a clean, 75K mile Super Duty with a V10, Lariat trim and a crew cab. Turns out there are exactly zero in my area. I did find one eventually (after about 3 months!) but it was 1,100 miles away, at a dealership in Utah. It was easier than I thought and after doing it once, I wouldn't hesitate to buy out of the area again. Here's some things I learned:

Ask LOTS of questions. Search out potential problems specific to the truck here on FTE and be sure to ask the salesman specific questions about them. Do as much work over the phone as you can, even if it means calling everyday for a week (which I did). Also, don't worry about paying for it, since it's common for car lots to let you take the vehicle without paying as long as you qualify for a loan ahead of time. I took a personal check for the down payment, cleared a car loan ahead of time, and when I took the truck, just signed a promissory note saying I'd pay for it in full within 30 days or return the truck. Since I already qualified at my bank, and they had called the car lot, I was ready to go and it took about 15 minutes to sign and escape with the truck.

Ask them to drop the price of the truck the equivalent of your expenses. For me that was $300 for a plane ticket, $75 for a rental car to get there and another $125 for gas and food. I don't know of an $18,000 used car on the planet that doesn't have at least $500 of "wiggle room" built into the price.

Look the truck over EXTENSIVELY to make sure it's exactly what you want once you get there. Make sure they have a CarFax on hand and an OASIS report if possible. My local Ford dealer doesn't give out OASIS reports to the public, so that may not be possible for the dealer either.

Enjoy the drive back home. I went by myself to save money, but paid the price in boredom. Plan ahead and bring something to listen to, I brought a book on CD that was about 16 hrs long and filled the time nicely.

My entire adventure lasted from 5:00 AM on Thursday until 4:00 PM on Friday, from my door, and back to my door and although I wish I had coughed up another $600 and taken my wife and son, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:24 PM
vipsolutions
New User
Originally Posted by GMT
Thanks again you've been a big help. I was wanting to use my Diesel as a trade in, but know i can get more selling it myself. Only problem is, it ain't selling! I brought it down to 15,995.00 but no hits. Heck I think a dealer would give me 13 easy on a trade. It's a very clean truck. I'm just wondering if trying to sell it myself is going to be worth it. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do.

Ideally, I'd like to do a straight across trade, but I know that's not going to happen. Especially on a decent, low mileage truck.

Well I am also looking to get a new body style that is why I am looking to sell. I love the new 2012 f350/450.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 PM
GMT
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
Better get used to the idea of buying out of the area. I was in the exact same situation as you a few years ago. I didn't think it would be that much trouble to find a clean, 75K mile Super Duty with a V10, Lariat trim and a crew cab. Turns out there are exactly zero in my area. I did find one eventually (after about 3 months!) but it was 1,100 miles away, at a dealership in Utah. It was easier than I thought and after doing it once, I wouldn't hesitate to buy out of the area again. Here's some things I learned:

Ask LOTS of questions. Search out potential problems specific to the truck here on FTE and be sure to ask the salesman specific questions about them. Do as much work over the phone as you can, even if it means calling everyday for a week (which I did). Also, don't worry about paying for it, since it's common for car lots to let you take the vehicle without paying as long as you qualify for a loan ahead of time. I took a personal check for the down payment, cleared a car loan ahead of time, and when I took the truck, just signed a promissory note saying I'd pay for it in full within 30 days or return the truck. Since I already qualified at my bank, and they had called the car lot, I was ready to go and it took about 15 minutes to sign and escape with the truck.

Ask them to drop the price of the truck the equivalent of your expenses. For me that was $300 for a plane ticket, $75 for a rental car to get there and another $125 for gas and food. I don't know of an $18,000 used car on the planet that doesn't have at least $500 of "wiggle room" built into the price.

Look the truck over EXTENSIVELY to make sure it's exactly what you want once you get there. Make sure they have a CarFax on hand and an OASIS report if possible. My local Ford dealer doesn't give out OASIS reports to the public, so that may not be possible for the dealer either.

Enjoy the drive back home. I went by myself to save money, but paid the price in boredom. Plan ahead and bring something to listen to, I brought a book on CD that was about 16 hrs long and filled the time nicely.

My entire adventure lasted from 5:00 AM on Thursday until 4:00 PM on Friday, from my door, and back to my door and although I wish I had coughed up another $600 and taken my wife and son, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Jim, thanks for taking the time to explain your out of state transaction. If I decide to go that route, that will help me a lot.

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 PM
GMT
Junior User
Originally Posted by vipsolutions

Well I am also looking to get a new body style that is why I am looking to sell. I love the new 2012 f350/450.
I'm sorry, but that's not going to be within my budget. My truck is not even worth near that, but thanks anyway.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
with fuel prices on the rise,the last thing you should consider right now is swapping out your fuel efficient diesel truck for a energy robbing v10 engine.
that said.you just hang on.they'll be pouring in out of the woodwork pretty soon now.more business owners will be swapping them out for diesels in a futile attempt to hang in there.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about that. That did happen several years ago when gas hit the $5 a gallon here. Too many people owed more than their 12 mpg SUV's were worth and simply walked away and took a huge loss because they thought gas would never come down, the earth was tipping off it's axis and plunging into the sun, etc. Lots of those same people also walked away from houses they bought at the peak of the market a few months after that. But I think most people are a bit smarter right now. Gas in my hometown is $4.59 right now, and diesel is $4.79 a gallon. Am I in a panic to offload my V10 because the sky is falling? Uhh...no. It would be stupid to dump it for a loss, or try to do what it does with a mini-truck. I NEED a 3/4 ton truck to haul hay, pull my toy hauler, take my crap to the dump and get stuff at the local lumber yard. But money's tight and as of tomorrow my 12 mpg truck will no longer be my daily driver. I spend about $100 a week on gas, I think that rather than use it to haul my lunch box to work, I can do better with my money. Instead, it'll get used for what I mentioned above and my '88 Mustang GT (20+ mpg) is going back into daily driver duty. My wife has been driving the '88, but we found an '08 Fusion (30mpg) and for what I spend in gas, we'll make the payment on the Fusion and then some. Plus rather than take my truck on vacations to the city, we can use the Fusion and save even more. Dumping necessary vehicles because some naysayers are claiming doom has historically been a bad, bad move. Just ask all the guys who dumped their Boss 429 Mustangs, Hemi Cudas and SS454 Chevelles back in the early '70s in favor of Vegas and Pintos how they feel about that move.

Quick Reply: Where are all the Ford F350 6.8L V10's?